An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Sleep?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by endoftherainbow, Jan 20, 2016.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

It definitely isn't. If a person found himself or herself into the situation of sleeping continuously, only waking up to eat, then, it's more than possible that that person has a serious medical condition, either is depression or anemia, that person should see a doctor as soon as possible regarding this so called "addiction to sleep".
  2. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

If someone is sleeping to much, my first instinct would be to think that there is a medical condition. In many cases women's will feel tired if they are low on iron. That may be to answer to you addiction.
  3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

It might be depression, if you sleep a lot longer than you usually do. I have it, and I really enjoy sleeping. It helps me escape my problems even for just a while. But I know it is also incredibly unhealthy. Make sure you check in with a doctor to see if this "addiction" is more than what it seems.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lol, funny. We need sleep. People loose brain cells not getting enough. There is always this talk about how you need 7-8 hours a night is what I've read. I certainly strive for that. It's difficult to be at full capacity under this.
    I've recently been learning about how to get anywhere between 8-12 hours a night. Let me just say that 11 hours in one night is just sheer happiness when you wake up. Mostly we start getting less as we get older. I've read that you should get up and do things if you can't. Ok. I've also read that you can get 70% as good as sleep if you lie still and don't move. Rest or meditate, relax as if you are. This helps tremendously if you just can't seem to sleep. The 70% can almost bring you to optimum. So is it an addiction?
    Interesting, 111kg, the medical student says it is a lack of goals. I guess that is how some people view it. I am learning from two people who are athletes, personal trainers, & nutritionalists....how sleep is a necessary part of training. I don't think that it is always a lack of goals. If you train like an athlete or are one you always have goals. Health and performance are or should be a goal.
    "Sleeping is a sign of depression" I've heard this one. It can be but I don't think it's necessarily true. We need to sleep. It can be a form of escapism. But as far as athletics go and health; optimum performance comes from getting 9-12 hours a night.
    I love sleep. Feeling good and being my best. A lack of sleep can cause a slew of health issues.
    -High risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, & stroke. Heart failure & death.
    -Memory problems
    -hallucinations
    -depression
    -moodiness
    -accident prone
    -weakened immune
    -weight gain
    -cognitive disfunction
    -impaired brain activity
    -lack of sex drive
    -ages skin
    -impaired judgement