An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Slimming Pills

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by gracer, May 15, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

There are different brands of slimming pills and drinks out in the market nowadays. Everyone who wants to get slimmer can buy them easily without any need for prescription. Some of these pills can really make someone slimmer in a short period of time. The problem is, the side effects are not often clear and sometimes the one who takes the pills doesn't really care about the side effects as long as he/she gets the effect he/she wants.

Others would still take these pills even if they are already so skinny. Some people I know claim that they're afraid of getting any bulges so they either drink slimming tea or slimming pills on a daily basis. They would even sometimes combine the two just to make sure the effect is strong. Do you think it's possible to be addicted to slimming pills or is it another case of anorexia?
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

The pills like phin phin ended up being addictive, if I remember correctly. And from what I saw other people do, I would say the OTC ones were addictive. I think it may start out as an obsession over their weight, like anorexia. But after a while you may have ended up addicted to the ephedrine. That's actually one of the reasons you can't buy them anymore... addictive AND a key ingredient in meth or crank or whatever.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think addiction is possible. I actually read an article not too long ago about a young lady who died due to a lethal dose of slimming pills - the poor girl was only 21! I had to google it to find it again -- this wasn't the original article I'd read but it was the first one that came up about the situation if you want to have a read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-lethal-dose-diet-pills-bought-internet.html
    gracer likes this.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that it is possible to get addicted to slimming pills as said several times, it is possible to get addicted to almost anything. There will be over doge or use of it that could result to serious health problems or even death. There are also slimming pills that are not safe to use.
    gracer likes this.
  5. gracer

Poor girl. It's such a tragedy, she was so young and pretty. My sister actually died because of slimming pills too. She took the pills for 3 years and was eventually diagnosed of liver cirrhosis. She wasn't an alcoholic so we suspect that she got her illness from the slimming pills she was taking. It's sad how people could die because of these pills. :(
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

@gracer i'm so sorry for the loss of your sister. I didn't know that slimming pills were so destructive until I read more about it. I think that's probably half the problem though -- people think they are safe and don't realize the seriously dangerous effect they have on the body. I feel like it's hard being a woman these days -- we are all expected to look perfect (even when celebrities don't - we just think they do!) and we put so much pressure on ourselves to fit those ideals.
  7. gracer

Thank you @kassie1234. I never really thought slimming pills could become so deadly until my sister died. Now I understand her angered reaction when she saw me sipping slimming tea before. I didn't know she was actually warning me at that time because she hid her illness from us. We only found out about it when she was already dying. It was really a very painful loss for us.
  8. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I hope this story of your sister dying serves to open the eyes of others who are addicted to slimming pills. I am so sorry for your loss, but there are so many young girls and adult women out there who suffer from this addiction. They need to realize that these medications have the ability to kill them. It is a shame that someone has to lose their life to be thin. What a terrible perception of themselves they must have!
    gracer likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree with kana, I think anything that would work would mostly just be because of a placebo effect otherwise there probably be one or two ingredients in there that would have to be strong enough to be ingredients in meth or something similar. Since I don't believe most of them are really all that effective though I'd have venture a guess and attribute most cases to being more related to anorexia type behavior rather than the pill itself.
    gracer likes this.
  10. gracer

Thank you so much @oraclemay. It's true, it really is a sad thing how people have to lose their lives just to get thin and impress others. It's so sad how society sometimes dictate and manipulate us that being thin is the perfect shape. It makes people lose confidence in themselves and resort to dangerous things just to get the body that society requires.

@kana_marie, @Charli You're right. The slimming property of these pills is bad in itself so I wouldn't be surprised if addictive properties are also added just to sell more of the product. It's so frustrating how so many people fall into this trap. People lose lives because of this.
  11. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

That's horrible! These girls go through so much to try to be what society has declared is beautiful. It's a shame, she was so pretty.
    gracer likes this.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

If you find yourself not slimming after using them then there must be a problem with your body. I usually do not over the counter pills since you first need your doctor's advice. After getting the doctor's prescription then you buy the pills. You need to get back to your doctor incase of any effects.
    gracer likes this.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

The slimming pills may work but, can have side effects which can cause changes like more weight loss than you wanted or a feeling of weakness and the body could even reject the pill and would of wasted the money if this happens. A recent story in the UK died, was 12 stone died from the pills which contained as much as 300 cups of coffee, which was shocking and in his mid forties only which was sad to see. I reckon that, people need to find out everything and not buy the internet ones and also the over the counter ones which can do more harm than good in the process and cause a healthy person to suffer very badly.
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

That's terrible! 300 cups of coffee in one pill. That could really kill someone on the spot from heart attach. Slimming pills are never the solution to obesity. There are other healthier ways of getting slimmer without having to pop a pill.
  15. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

A few years ago I became a slimming pills junkie. But, unlike an anorexic, I stopped once I got to a size under what I was comfortable with.
    gracer likes this.
  16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Its timing I had read this thread because I just read in a newspaper that a beauty queen here in our place just died two days ago because of over dosage of slimming pills. I don't really understand why some women who are already beautiful and had a good figure and yet they are not yet contented to what God had given them. Too sad for this young lovely woman who wasted her life because she is not still satisfied with her looks and want to be more slim. May she rest in peace despite what happened to her.
    gracer likes this.
  17. LilAnn

I think its so sad. I really can't understand it. If they would just look at themselves, and I mean REALLY look maybe they'll see how beautiful they are.
    gracer likes this.
  18. I have to confess that I used to take slimming pills back when I was in university. I was always branded as the chubby girl among my peers and that took a toll on my self esteem. One day, one of my friends told me about this slimming pill that their friend had been taking mentioned that she lost a huge amount of weight because of that. I always had a difficult time to lose weight, and the fact that I can achieve my weight loss goal by ingesting these pills just appealed to me so much. I went and bought myself some pills and started to take them every day for a week. That week was absolute hell for me, because I started feeling palpitations as soon as I drank a pill. I felt very light headed and I kept prespiring all throughout the day, which was very unpleasant especially since I was still taking classes at university. It was definitely a smart decision for me to ditch those pills because they really are dangerous. I hope other people realize how damaging it can be to your health, and as said by the people in this forum, how deadly it can be to a person.
    gracer likes this.
  19. LilAnn

thats a lot like the reaction I have. I can feel my blood pressure hitting the roof. And its hard for me to do anything but sit there, waiting for it to end.

On a side note, though, I know this isn't going to make me sound like a genuis, but when I first read your name, I saw, "Theo new hoknocks", and I thought to myself, "what the eff is a hoknocks?" But then I looked again and saw "the one who knocks", and that made so much more sense. lol
    gracer likes this.
  20. juno

juno Community Champion

Some of the diet drinks and pills have a lot of caffeine in them, so it is possible to get addicted. I think another reason may be that people with eating disorders may use them to keep the weight off. It may seem like an addiction to the pills, but it is actually an addiction to the behavior.
    gracer likes this.