An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Slimming Pills

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by gracer, May 15, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

@Theonewhoknocks I'm glad you were able to ditch the pills early because of its really fatal effects. My sister took slimming pills for 3 years and that's what took a toll on her life. It was really sad for us and her family because she left 4 wonderful children behind, who were the ones who suffered so much when she died. I remember a statement from one doctor who was interviewed regarding slimming pills, she said no form of slimming pills or drinks is ever safe for anyone. As I hear more people dying of these pills, I always remember my sister. These pills were only made for the advantage of the people who made them but never for the people who use them. :(
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

More than being addicted to pills, I think those who drink them are addicted to the ideal that they want to be skinny. I feel sorry that your sister has suffered such a sad fate because of these slimming pills. I hope the authorities take these off the market as they can be really hazardous to a person's health. I also wish women today learn to celebrate their own unique bodies.
    gracer likes this.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

These pills sound dangerous. People mixing the pills with the tea sounds like a bad idea. If someone is already skinny loosing more weight could cause serious health problems. If these pills can cause side affects that shouldn't be overlooked for just physical appearance. These slimming pills are a bad thing to be addicted too.
    gracer likes this.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Nothing wrong with wanting to maintain weight. Why do people think that all they need to do to solve their problems is with a pill? We don't know what these companies put in these pills to help you lose weight. But what they won't tell you is that good diet and exercise is important. In fact you don't have to do any if those things at all. Just chug down those pills. Diet and exercise alone would put these pill slimming companies out if business.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My mean aunt was addicted to those slimming pills, she completely ruined her metabolism by taking those pills. She needed to get all sorts of surgeries years later in order to look thin, yup, I'm not sure how they did it, but they made her look so thin... at least thinner than she ever was. That woman was huge, her face... everything! Now she no longer looks like herself, she just looks like someone else o_O. The pills never worked for her... all those years buying bottle after bottle of pills for nothing.
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

@Jasmine2015 Indeed! Diet and exercise are the real answers to problems regarding weight. I remember a TV show called "Biggest Loser" where they have strictly promoted and implemented the importance of discipline along with proper diet and exercise. The end results are quiet unbelievable but they worked to some extent. I myself have tried the slimming tea before when I was still younger, more naive and more conscious about my weight. The effect of taking them is extremely gross and painful. I eventually stopped and I'm thankful I did. I was able to achieve a slimmer figure because of the stress of my work and the night time work hours I had to undergo before. Of course it wasn't a healthy way to lose weight but I did lose weight because of work related stress.

@Tremmie Wow! I can't imagine myself undergoing surgery just to look thin. Unless my health was already at risk. Good thing she hasn't experienced any negative effect from all those pills she has taken.
  7. Tremmie

She did, those pills messed up her metabolism so badly D: She had to have soooooooooooooooooooooo many surgeries in order to look the way she does now. It baffles me how come her face doesn't look that weird... you know? She had a ridiculous number of surgeries!
  8. gracer

That is one thing I could never imagine myself doing. I'm just so afraid of the doctor's knife that I would never resort to surgery just to look better. Having so many surgeries is definitely unhealthy for her.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I definitely think that you can get addicted to slimming pills. It is so hard on you and your body. It can do a lot of damage to your organs but the people who are addicted don't see that. They are only concerned about being thin. They don't see themselves as thin already. They figure they need these pills to make them look a certain way. If they don't have the pills then they don't feel good about themselves. Those are all signs of an addiction.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Tremmie

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be able to do that either, I can't imagine how someone can do it, I'm guessing she just felt way to unhappy about the way she looked. Sadly she is the same evil person on the inside! When I was younger I wasn't happy with my nose, but now I can't imagine paying someone to change my face, lol. I know myself, I'd not like to see myself in the mirror and see someone else...
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

You're so right Tremmie. That's the thing, I wouldn't feel good looking at myself in the mirror and I see a totally different person. It would feel weird right? :DWhen one learns to love everything about him/herself, including all the flaws, he/she would never feel inadequate and changing them would never occur into one's mind. I myself feel that way now that I have fully accepted my whole being, I would even feel all the more inadequate if the flaws that I got used to having would suddenly change into something perfect. This is me, and I would never exchange the "me" I know for anything else.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This reminds me of a recent tragedy involving a budding beauty queen. She was due to compete in a local pageant in two weeks' time. However, because she gained some weight, she desperately tried to slim down in time for the contest. She took so many slimming pills in just a few days. This led to a lethal overdose and before everyone could stop her, she was already dead.

Different people have different motives for taking sleeping pills. More often than not, though, what leads to addiction is one's perception of his or her own body.
    gracer likes this.
  13. Tremmie

I'm glad you feel this way! I used to be very worried about my flaws, but not anymore. I think those flaws make me look like ''me'', they are so ''me'', you know? The only thing I haven't accepted is being overweight, I gained quite a bit weight last year due my health issues :( I'm struggling to lose the weight because I suffer from insulin resistance... to be honest I have no idea if I'll ever feel it's ok for me to be overweight :(
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

Don't feel bad about your weight @Tremmie. I guess most women do have to undergo this stage of life when our body changes so much especially because of the hormones that come with all the changes. I can sense that you are such a good person and that's what really matters right now. There may be a lot of slim figured, sexy vixens out there but the attitude most of them have sometimes don't reflect how beautiful they look on the outside. :)

I too have gained weight ever since I gave birth to my only child and I just couldn't seem to get back my slim body anymore. It has been almost 6 years now but I still can't get back my old figure. I have already given up hopes of ever getting back to the way my body was before childbirth so when I finally accepted the fact, I started giving out my old clothes to people who could fit in them and replaced them with ones that could really fit my current body. I'm somehow starting to adjust now and I'm trying hard to accept this new version of me.
  15. Tremmie

Thanks :) You made me feel so much better, plus I've bigger problems to worry about, but have you experienced some doctors are so pushy when it comes to losing weight? I've been seeing a lot doctors in the last two years, my neurosurgeon insists I should lose weight! I'm not that heavy, but he makes me feel terrible. Like I'm making the biggest sin against life and health ever. I was even fat-shamed by a doctor when I was younger (I had gained weight back then due my anti depressant, but managed to lose all one year).

Sometimes the people who make it harder to accept yourself and forget about it are those in your own house. My FIL made a lot jokes about my weight this last time I was there :( It was so annoying, but I'm so polite I just ignored it and suck it up. It's funny, because he is even heavier than me, so is his wife o_O
    gracer likes this.
  16. gracer

I haven't experienced that kind of thing with doctors but you know, I just they intend to push people a lot sometimes for the sake of the money. The more they are able to convince someone that he/she is not normal, the more fees they get from referral and drug makers.

It's really such a nuisance how other people only look at other people's flaws and not look at themselves first. Your FIL should look in the mirror first together with your MIL before even pointing out your flaws. I remember my husband's relatives too, especially some of his cousins who are also as big as me. They keep on pointing out how big I am every time they see me but they don't realize how bigger they even look more than me.

I really can't understand why it's easier for other people to put others down and it's so hard for them to at least put a little smile on someone else's face. In my case, I don't mock them every time I see them, but I can't understand why they keep on putting me down. They're such a headache.
  17. Tremmie

That is awful, girlie :( What do you do when they do that? If it keeps repeating itself, then it must be so annoying! Gosh, you must be way stronger than I am! Having that kind of reminders every time you see x person can predispose you to so much headache. Do you ever reply back (in a witty and polite way, of course).

I think I will do that with my PILs, in the Netherlands you must answer back fast or else people step all over you. So next time my MIL makes an insidious comment I will say something back (something witty, polite and even funny, hard to say you did something wrong if you adorn it with a good laugh or a smile).

I have a theory about overweight people putting down other overweight people... they feel very good about themselves by doing that. Is like in their mind they even feel skinny for a moment, lol. I have the feeling that is what it is, you know?

In the Netherlands there are many people like that. It's awful, you need to come up with answers fast... answers to their rude jokes and insidious comments. Gosh, how I miss Norway! I've said it before and I'll say it again: Norway is a much better place to live in so many ways.
    gracer likes this.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Anorexia is complex. I don't think it is as simple as that. Diet pills are just dumb. Slimming teas and so forth are not really harmful. They are just diuretics. They just aid in digestion.
    There is a greater portion of the world's population that don't eat right. They actually have the mentality of an anorexic. This is because of mass brainwashing. It is about eating the right things in abundance. Not starving yourself or thinking I'm not hungry and if I am let me pop a pill instead. This is just suicide.
    You have to educate yourself and look towards the successful whatever the issue is. Find information from people like yourself. If you are overweight or have issues with your body image. The worst one is starving yourself to get thin and then binging. You will go up and down like a roller coaster and wreck your metabolism. It doesn't work and it is not a solution.
    You went all day and ate nothing later to say, "I'm wasn't hungry." This is anorexic talk and behavior. If you eat a ton and are thin and can say that. You are doing something right. If you say I'm not hungry, but you are and have to calorie restrict then you are doing something wrong. Calorie restriction is starving yourself. If you eat the right things in large amounts you will not be hungry and you will stay thin or loose weight.
    You just have to step away from what the general majority subscribe to and educate yourself.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm not sure if they have addictive properties per se, but the ones who take them are obviously overweight, so I think that it's more of a mental addiction more than anything, because they're afraid of gaining weight. Sadly, some overdo it and it can cause immediate death.
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You know what this is making me think of this woman I know. I took that hydroxy cut for a while years ago. I was pretty rational about it. I tried it and paced myself. I couldn't even take what they wanted you to take. It worked, but it messed my head up and some of the stuff I said was out of control. But I watched this woman taking a prescription diet pill. Took way over what the doctor prescribed and drank vodka while on it, in the mornings, at work. What that did to her. This was the third one that I saw her do in one years time. Yeah you know what she said and did some off the wall things. Just like I did, but I at least saw what was happening and stopped. She did things she regrets. She also really started seriously not eating anything.