An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Sugar

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Saraldra, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

Some people think that sugar addiction can be as harmful as any narcotic. I think that its only a problem if large doses are eaten regularly, increasing the risk of diabetes and other general ailments.

What are your opinions on sugar addiction?
  2. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I agree that it is just as harmful. Most drugs such as marijuana and certain pain killers, become harmful when they are used on a regular basis or in large quantities and the side effects are very dangerous, just the same with sugar. I am trying to control my appetite as I love sugar and was addicted at some point. Realizing the dangers, I reduced my intake drastically. I used sugar mainly to boost my energy level and to control depression.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think addiction to sugar is very real. Everyone experiences sugar highs when they eat lots of sugar snacks or even carbohydrate rich meals. It's probably why french fries are so popular. It indeed is very risky because it will eventually damage your health if you indulge too much. Like all other things, self moderation is key lest we want government to ban another thing again.
  4. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

I agree, everything in moderation is the key when it comes to your diet. Sugar is actually necessary for a healthy body, just not artificial/refined sugars in the vast quantities seen in today's junk foods.

I think a big problem is that sugar free alternatives are more expensive than their sugar-rich counterparts.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

That, and from what I heard they can be cancerous even. I personally would just prefer to intake natural ingredients as much as possible even if they turn out to be more fattening but these days you can't really be too sure of where all the ingredients are coming from or how they were made so I guess we just have to try our best and look for brands that actually care about their customers.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Sugar is by far the most addictive substance on the planet. Sugar can join the group of carbohydrates, gluten, and starches. All of which when broken down in the human body will turn into Glucose.

This is what it does in the human body. I'll say it plainly and not get to scientific about it. You eat sugar, then you spike your insulin levels. High levels of insulin will tell your body to store calories as fat, and will not use it as energy. What happens now is, your body is starving at the molecular level, and you start to get hungrier. So you eat more. If you eat more sugar, the insulin will store it as fat and not energy again. And the process continues until you get fatter and in turn you get more hungry.

People like to count calories. But that BS. You have to look at what kind of calories that you are consuming.
  7. Saraldra

Saraldra Member

This is so true.

It's not about how many calories you are eating, if you are a very active person you can eat whatever you want as long as the calories you are eating are balanced and healthy.

Fibre, protein and especially Polyunsaturated fats, should all take precedence over sugar. People don't seem to realise that sugar contributes more towards weight gain than fat does.
  8. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

Sugar makes me physically ill. I have mal absorption and my body does not make red blood cells on its own. I am deficient in everything our bodies need to survive & thrive. Sugar, for some reason, seems to go right to my blood steam. Its a horrible feeling, heart races, head pounds, rapid shallow respiration and I feel nauseousness. similar to a sever panic attack. The doctors have no specific diagnosis so they label it as "sugar sensitive" I can eat a piece of fruit and feel ok, but a chocolate bar will have me so sick I can not function. I guess the source of the sugar play a part in the effect. I have read that sugar feeds disease, that many chronic illness' depends upon sugar as a fuel.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh, no white sugar is just like a drug. It is as addictive as crack and it causes a slew of health problems. You don't want to eat it. The thing about it is it is chemically enhanced so that makes it a drug. People think its OK because why would they put something harmful in food, the FDA wouldn't do that. Guess what they don't care. They allow it. It is all about MONEY.
  10. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I think with so much info about "franken Foods"/GMO foods the general public is becoming increasingly aware that the bottom line is money and the FDA is not looking out for the interest of the general public as a priority. I was told by a diabetic family member that the body can not differentiate between white sugar or the sugar in a piece of fruit, but that cant be true or an apple would make me just as ill as a Hershey chocolate bar does/has.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think sugar has similar addictive qualities to drugs. People just don't seem to see sugar addiction in the same category as it's so normalized and freely available. I think the movement of quitting or decreasing the amount of sugar people are consuming is becoming more popular - I've read a number of blogs recently that have been talking about it, and there's also quite a few books about it too.
  12. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I think that it can definitely be as harmful as any other narcotics for sure because it can lead to a number of health issues like the ones mentioned above. Not only that, but our taste buds themselves seem to long after all things sweet and once we taste it, our mind lunges forward to grasp it. This is definitely like chocolate, people can love chocolate so much that love handles will love them just as much.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I try to avoid refined sugars for all the reasons stated above. It can easily be addictive, and beyond the initial “sugar high” it really does more harm than good. I’ve found that the less sugar I eat, the less I crave, and if I do eat it I crave it more. It also gives me more of a euphoric feeling when I’m depressed than when I’m feeling more normal. Pretty unsettling, when I think about it.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is not called addiction if it is not in large qualities and unusual consumption. So, any addiction is bad for anyone's health. There should be moderation in everything even in those we considered good things since anything in excess can be bad.
  15. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Sugar addiction is just as bad as being addicted to alcohol and drugs. It causes health problems and can affect a person's life in a negative way also.
  16. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Large intake of sugar for a long period of time is highly risky for someone's health. There is a certain pleasure when eating sugary foods because if their sweetness. It makes you want to have more of it and long for it more. An almost similar trait with drug and substance addiction.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

I used to like sugary foods when I was young. I ate sugary foods without any problems. But when I grew up, I wasn't a fun anymore of sugary foods. It is like my body had enough. Nowadays I don't want sugar in my drinks. I prefer small quantities if any.
  18. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Too much consumption of sugar is really bad for our health. My father who really likes sweet foods and drinks or I may say that he was addicted to it was really depressed when he was diagnosed to have diabetes. His doctor said one factor why the disease triggers is because of his very high sugar levels in his blood. That is why he changed his eating lifestyle for this kind of thing. And it is very alarming for all of us in the family too that is why we also tried to avoid eating foods and drinks that contains high sugar content for health reasons. Yes it feels good and we are satisfied when we are eating sweet sugary foods but before anything else we should value first our health.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that foods like chocolate can be nice sometimes, but eating it all the time will give a sugar high and last for a short time and may taste nice but give us more than enough sugar in the body. Men need 9 teaspoons or 37.5 grams a day and women need 6 teaspoons or 25 grams according to the Amercian Heart Association, which is amazing and sometimes when eating salty snacks it gives us more which can get stored as fat not the energy that is needed. We need to be aware of what we consume and also drink as the fizzy drinks or fruit juices can have more sugar than the ones with lower which is surprising to see at times.
  20. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Sugar addiction is common among toddlers (and fat people). I remember being addicted to honey when I was young, and I still love it. Back them I used to eat 10 kilos of honey in a month!

Sugar addiction is harmful, as it can cause many diseases. Not to mention it will make you fat and with diabetes. It's not as harmful as drugs, but it's still bad for you, just as any addiction.