An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction to Sugar

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Saraldra, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Not all sugar addicts are fat. I have been a sugar addict for a while, didn't gain weight until recently because of some hormonal changes. I had been thin before that, some sugar addicts (like me) don't consume it daily, just once a week and that is how they stay thin.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Oh, I see. Well this also depends on their metabolism. There are people who could eat all day long and still not get fat, so they don't have to worry about weight gain. There are many other issues to worry about, though.
  3. Tremmie

Ever since I read cancer cells feed off sugar I feel so bad when I have something sweet D: Cancer cells need sugar in order to survive, if we provide enough sugar to them the cancer might grow faster and spread. I try to have that in mind every time I want to eat something sweet... this thought has helped me to consume less sugar :p
  4. Nergaahl

I have recently found out I consume too much sugar per day - from fruits! It may sound crazy, but too much of anything, no matter how healthy it is, is damaging. Ha ha, now I have to eat less fruits, it's so weird!
  5. Tremmie

Lol, yes! It's soooo misleading, like those so called ''healthy'' cereals. I had to stop eating cereal in the mornings, because apparently I was consuming too much sugar daily as well D: What kind of fruits you were eating? Because if you want to keep eating fruit, you can look for fruits with a lot glycemic index. I think watermelon is one of those.
  6. Nergaahl

Well, I like watermelon, and usually eat it a lot in the summer! I also like peaches, plums, apricots, strawberries, tomatoes... I don't think there is a fruit I do not like, to be honest. I just love them all!

And regarding cereals... I had been eating a lot of them in my childhood as a breakfast, but now I don't eat them as much, usually my breakfast consists in a soft-boiled egg, a tomato and some cheese.
  7. Tremmie

@Nergaahl I love watermelon during the summer!!! It's the best fruit ever!!! One year ago I was having watermelon for breakfast and dinner every single day, the whole summer, lol. The only thing I don't like about watermelon is the fact it can take so much space to store.

In my opinion your diet is excellent :D You eat quite well, you start your day with a lot protein, then you add some fruit (tomato) and fat (cheese). It's excellent! It sounds like you know quite a bit about nutrition! I wish I could start my day like that as well.
  8. Nergaahl

That's why I always cut the watermelon, then put it in bowls in my fridge, so I can save some space.

And yes, I know some things about a healthy diet. Two years ago my body was in a really poor condition and I had to eat the right foods to revitalize it. I still carry on with eating clean, it feels so good!
  9. Tremmie

I did the same ;) But I often needed a lot glass and plastic containers to get the job done, it was kinda tedious. Haven't had watermelon in a while for that reason, and also because I'm not supposed to lift heavy things. Glad to hear you turned your life around :) I hope to be able to do the same!
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Sugar addiction seems to be more common with diabetics. For some reason people with diabetes have a craving for sugar more than most people. I know that diabetics have to have a certain amount of sugar any way, but always want more. I think it's because if your diabetic you can't have as much sugar as you want, and that makes you crave it. This is the closest thing I could think of to a sugar addiction.
  11. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Sugar addiction is very common these days. It can be found in all kinds of foodstuff, even where you least expect it. It's our job to be vigilant and take the time to research what we're putting into our bodies. A bit of sugar won't hurt us and can be good for us. After all, sugar does provide energy. But we only to consume a small, moderate amount on a daily basis.
  12. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It is a very strong addiction i think because it releases endorphins , i think, this is not something i really know but somewhere along the way i picked it up and remember that this is a hormone that makes us feel better. They are like natural medication to our body. When you eat chocolate or anything sweet endorphins do their job and you feel good. That is not a bad thing but you want more and it is addictive.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I agree that sugar can be just as addictive as a drug for some people. Yes there are natural sugars in food like fruits. But this is completely different than man made sugar. Sugar can do so many things to you if don't watch your in take.
  14. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Sugar is addicting, amd daily sugar intake should be limited by all people, not just diabetics. Processed foods such as cereals, cookies, crackers, granola bars, and of course, candy, usually contain large amounts of unneeded added sugars. One has to read the label and really interpret sugar sources sometimes. For example, some people may not realize that corn syrup is actually sugar. This is just one example of how ingredient labels can be misleading when you are trying to cut out added sugars in your diet.
  15. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I definitely have an addiction to sugar. I have a weird habit of eating something savory and feeling as if I need something sugary in order to get by. I love sweets, but only if they are accompanied by something savory. I probably eat a few sweets every single day. I can't remember the last time I went without some form of sugar.
  16. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

The thing is... we are addicted involuntarily to sugar, because our body needs glucose in order to function properly. Of course, the body can also use ketone bodies in order to sustain itself, except for the fact that the brain will stimulate glucose production in order to use it.

So yeah, we are all addicted to sugars from a physiologic point of view.

On the other hand, I get you: execessive sugars (and only sugar, not glucose) can damage your health, your teeth and so on.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think sugar addiction is quite manageable since it doesn't mess with your brain, skin, teeth, like other drugs, like meth for example. I think with a bit of self-control then a person who is addicted to sugar can overcome his addiction.