An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction Treatment Medication - The Negative Perceptions

Discussion in 'Buprenorphine Treatment' started by princepts, Dec 18, 2014.

1. princepts

princepts Member

I would like to see just how many people have experienced the stigma frequently bequeathed to those actively taking Buprenorphine (suboxone, subutex). Whether it is the scowl received from a family member who does not agree with the mode of treatment, or the snide remarks from an arrogant pharmacist as they fill the prescription for the addiction treatment medication. Why do you believe such a negative outlook exists? Will the addiction treatment venues ever be received along side those with what we would consider normal mental or physical disorders? Will the drug addict taking suboxone ever be held in the same regard as a manic depressant being medicated for their disorder? My own experience has taught me that caution is the wise choice. The circle of my family shunned me, like I wore the Scarlet "S" (Suboxone). Still, they witnessed the positive impact it had on my life. I was able to work and to do things that I would never have been able to do when I was riding the oxycontin express. I was not spending my afternoons trying to find pills. I wasn't shackled by the anxiety of wondering if I was going to be dope sick the following day. I had a legitimate prescription by a licensed physician for a wonderful treatment medication; one that helped give me my life back. I dosed every morning. That was it, just once a day! My dose was slowly tapered and eventually the crutch was removed from my presence. I went to N.A. I received counseling and even had a sponsor. Yet, there were those few people who looked at me as if I was walking around with a needle hanging out of my arm, or as if I had pill residue coming out of both nostrils! Society, when uninformed, is such a childish mechanism. I know it works. Sure buprenorphine can be abused. On the whole, however, it is a much safer alternative to oxycontin, heroin or prescription drugs that can derail the precious mind and life of anyone willing to give it an inch. The stigma exists, but for me it was not a deterrent!
  2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Using these kinds of medications can tend to have a huge stigma attached to them - and in some ways it is understandable. These medications in their own right are just another substance that can be addictive -- and abused. They do help some people get over their addiction - but for some people they can become a crutch that becomes a whole new addiction. I think that if you decide that these medications are something that may help you you really need to use them wisely and under the careful eye of both a therapist and trained medical professional. You also have to be real about yourself about the possible consequences. Sometimes the person you need to be answering to about your treatment is yourself. Your family and support team are important to your journey -- but they are not the ones transitioning - you have to do what feels right to you.