An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addiction triggers

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by remnant, Mar 8, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Many people get to the stage of alcohol addiction not primarily through craving for the intoxicant, but through secondary triggers. One such trigger is the thirst to socialize, the fear of loneliness. Others developed infatuation to a ravishing bartender and ended up frequenting her abode. Still others got hooked as a consequence of newfound freedom. I think this battle can be won at the initial stages by dealing with these triggers.
  2. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Such triggers do exist. The fact is that "social" pressure is a major trigger why a lot of people start doing drugs or start drinking in the first place. I remember I started drinking in college because of friends who made it a major issue if you did not join them.

Years later, I ran into similar kind of people at work. But, this time, I didn't fall for the social pressure. Thankfully, I didn't get addicted early on, so I felt the triggers working on me.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

You are so right @remnant. It is sad to see people being addicted for no reason. The best way is always to curb this at the initial level and not when it has become a part of the person. It is always good to be able to avoid social pressure; hanging out is good but you can always have iced tea rather than the alcohol they are all taking.
  4. djdrug

Yep. Just stop it at the very beginning. The fact is that if you don't engage with triggers or people creating triggers, you won't fall for their habits either.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The hardest bit to separate your mind from alcohol. It makes you feel all gooey in the head to sit at a bar and watch that sexy bartender. You can dream and drink more, and forget everything around you until you drop off that bar stool. Or, as you say, you go to a bar and get a bit tipsy to loosen up your tongue and shake off your shyness, so that you can chat with total strangers in the hope to fill the emptiness inside you. Yes, it seems that well-adjusted people with a good family life and a steady job that makes them relatively happy, tend to drink less.
  6. djdrug

Woho... that was deep... and sort of dark :) I once went down the dark road that is related to alcohol. I was going through a terrible break up, and I just wanted to numb my senses or whatever. I would get high, get drunk and do a lot of things that I don't want to even try now.

Eventually, what got me out of the whole thing was a friend. He clicked my pic and then went through a couple of old pics, and said, "do you see the difference between the guy from 3 months ago and this empty shell that you are now?" That shut me up, woke my senses, and I changed that very instant.

Talk about a positive trigger.
  7. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Triggers аnd аddiсtiоn аre inexоrаbly linked. Even sо, the сhаin reасtiоn оf сrаving, urges аnd relаpse саn be brоken. First, оne hаs tо develоp the аbility tо identify the unique triggers thаt preсede а fаll. The stressоrs саn be simple оr соmplex. The experienсe is оften а shосk. It mаy seem tо соme оut оf the сleаr blue оr reveаl itself аs а grоwing sense оf uneаse thаt intensifies.
  8. pierrerodman

pierrerodman Member

I
    I agree with you. You cannot effectively control your addiction unless you have identified your triggers. More often than not there are deeper psychological issues tied to the triggers. If socializing is a trigger for instance, it may be that you have a need to be accepted by people. It is very important to get good psychological help when trying to stay sober in order to effectively deal with the triggers.
    deanokat likes this.