An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addictive or not?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by mcvetko3, Jul 9, 2015.

1. mcvetko3

mcvetko3 Member

I smoke weed pretty regularly and I noticed that usually in different articles and graphs marijuana is always portrayed as less addictive substance, but if I stop smoking it, I still get this weird craving. So I am not sure if it is just psychological (because it gives me that special "I don't care" feelling) or physical. Thoughts?
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It's technically both. It's the lack of the dominant chemical, just like tobacco smokers need a nicotine fix, the body will slightly crave the THC fix to set thing right. Though, I would say that 70-80% of it IS psychological, there definitely is a "need" for the body after smoking ANY chemical that induces a response especially if you've been taking said chemical on a regular basis.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Of all the smokers I know back home, they are pretty much addicted to it. Weather it be psychological, pain killers, or sex enhancements, they just can't function the same without it. Some might be able to walk away from casual smoking, but isn't that the same as other substances?
    AAngelo likes this.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I used to be an occassional smoker, and talking from my own personal experience, it really isn't addictive. You might find that arbitrary need of smoking it from times to times, but really not something that could be considered as addicting at all. I was able to quit it without so much hassle, in spite of me doing it for a decade almost.
  6. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

My friends are pretty much the same. They work in visual arts and they smoke all they long in their office. It doesn't affect their works and their business seems to be reliable. But whenever they don't smoke, they say it's not the same and they get really critical of their works. Marijuana may be portrayed as a not-so-addictive substance. But it may not be the same for everyone. I mean I stopped smoking and haven't looked back.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I have not tried smoking it but I believe that it is addictive. Never read or heard that it is not addictive or less addictive until reading this thread. Maybe the level of being addictive depends on several factors since we differ in boy type or health conditions.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana, compared to some other drugs, is less addictive. Comparisons. It is addictive. But not as addictive as liquid meth. Not as addictive as . . .

Regular usage of any drug will end in addiction. Since you mention cravings when you don't use Marijuana then it appears like you are well on your way to getting addicted to it. Take action now because the longer you use the drug when you want to stop using it later, it will be much harder.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

With marijuana, I think it is more of a craving than an actual addiction. Your physical body does not need it, but you like the way you feel when you smoke it, so you want to get that feeling again. I may be wrong, but I have never seen someone have physical Marijuana withdrawls when they don't get to smoke.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

Like I've said before, anything that you do on a daily basis may become addictive. It could be the most harmless thing in the world, and if you do it daily, it's highly likely to become an addiction. So, it's not really the substance that's addictive, it's people who make it a habit, that in time, may or may not become an addiction. But, it is true that some substances are a lot easier to get addicted to than others.
  11. Shimus

Anything that becomes a habit like Henry said could be a daily routine, and you might not 'feel right' without it - that's the psychological bit. You feel 'off your game' or get overly critical, because when you smoke you feel "in the zone" sometimes and I know plenty of artists who swear by it. But again, I think that's just the psychological aspect of it.

Now, when your head throbs and you crave that smoke more than anything else to start the day off right, that's physical dependence. I used to be in the latter category - I would grit my teeth, grind, generally be in a pissy mood if I haven't smoked in the day yet. I guess it was my stress reliever (even that's psychological to a point) since I did no other vices. I didn't drink, I didn't do pills, I didn't touch anything. So to "unwind" like so many people like to, I smoked. And it became a loop of becoming a daily routine like Henry said. That's when you need to re-evaluate yourself.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I made it through my first couple of years I college stoned and this was because I had a hard time focusing without it. I worked and had a busy social life at the time. It is not an excuse to go out and get high, but it did help me out when I was younger. I was an artist and can attest to the fact that it did help me to create things.
  13. pingufan

pingufan Member

I got used to being high so much that being sober felt abnormal to me and I felt like I was back to myself again after having a smoke.

I always found that it was much more of a mental addiction than a physical one. I have never had physical cravings for marijuana but I've had thought's and cravings spinning around my head for hours until I've managed to get some. Upon quitting I discovered that I had temporary mood swings and became very irate with people quickly.
    Shimus likes this.
  14. harold

harold Community Champion

Marijuana is addictive, but less addictive compared to other addictive substances. All marijuana smokers I know take it on a daily basis. The difference with marijuana and other substances is the fact that addicts can find a way out of it faster than they would, if it were the other addictive substances. Many people usually downplay the power of Marijuana, and at times they have reason to, but the truth is that there are addicts out there who do not even believe that they can ever stop it. I know a few of them.
  15. cotyb

cotyb Member

I know a handful of people who believe they can't live without it. I also know some that say they don't have to have it but still they get aggravated when they don't have any or can't get it. I know myself I used to do the same I didn't even realize it for a long time and even after I did realize I still did it without realizing I was doing it sometimes. I can also attest that this aggravation has attributed to many couples arguing and my relationship included. once I finally noticed the impact and started trying to quit I also realized a lot more effects and changes that were coming about in me wanting to sit around less, wanting to spend more time with my kids and less on video games by this point I really wanted to quit but I couldn't keep myself from it only now that it seems to have played a major role in the breakup of my family do i care so little for it that I broke my addiction and refuse to let myself fall back into it. If I smoke a few days in a row I can feel myself turning back to the stoner me even though I know I don't want to. So if all that and me telling you that the more I do it the harder it becomes not to want it doesn't say to prove it is physical then maybe how scientists say it causes a dopamine deficiency is. your body stops making the chemical thc overrides so when the thc wears off there is no chemical there to make you feel happy leaving you depressed and angry feeling.
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

That is one sign of addiction. Your craving means that you want it before doing anything. If possible, you need to stop smoking immediately. Your smoking habits will ruin your future since you cannot smoke at work. Smoking can also cause cancer. So you better stop.
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, it is not as addictive as meth or other similar drugs, but it is addictive if consumed regularly. You should be careful with it, and not let it dominate your life. Everything is addictive, trust me.
  18. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It may not be addictive for some people but I believe for others that it is. Same as they say it doesn't lead to harder drugs but it my partner's case it does and has in his best. He starts with weed and then he craves a bigger high so he moves on to something else. Each individual case is different.
  19. Shimus

Pretty much my outlook on it, too. I used to be myself after the first smoke of the day, since I didn't drink or smoke tobacco, or use pills or medication. So, when I smoked the first bowl of marijuana for the day, I felt normal somehow, I felt right. Looking back, it was psychological addictions, and I never craved for it unless I needed that sense of 'normality'. I just let it take over at parts, and when I was sober I was more quick to snap indeed. But it wasn't a physical jonesing like "HARD" drug users.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Based on my understanding of the word addiction, marijuana and pretty much anything else for that matter can be addictive. Is it less addictive than other drugs? Maybe it is but that does not make it non addictive.