An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addictive or not?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by mcvetko3, Jul 9, 2015.

1. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

It's in your mind. I smoked 2 packs a day, I know physiological addiction quite well. This is what happens with any habit, friend. If you eat burgers daily, you'll crave them when you diet. If you jerk off daily, you'll crave it when you try to stop to increase your sexual energy. If you love being a couch potato, you'll crave that couch when you go for a hike. If you... You get the idea. Do yourself a favor and start smoking once a week. Your highs will be better, you won't be a zombie, and maybe once your mind is not as foggy you'll stop and think if what you're doing is worth the results.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It's not all "in your mind" and I still will disagree with the fact it's not physiological. For some it may just be as simple as a choice, or a recreational habit - but others NEED it like you NEEDED to smoke your 2 packs a day. Not everyone is identical to you, so you can't equate everyone's situation into such simplistic generalist comparisons like that.

That being said, it's not like you're wrong. Even tobacco is an acquired "habit" - you craved that tobacco because it became part of your diet. IT's literally no different. People addict to THC and don't feel normal without it, or they become irritable like someone who hasn't smoked their first cig of the day (or at all yet).

Spacing it out until you completely drop it isn't a bad idea either though.
  3. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Every drug is classified a drug for a reason, right? Marijuana is a drug because of its addictive nature, but when compared to other drugs, it is less addictive. If marijuana wasn't all that addictive, it wouldn't be classified as a drug in the first place—it would be called something along the lines of "junk food."
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I know many people say it isn't, but I think it is. At the very least, it has the potential to have be psychologically addictive. People use it to chill out, to deal with stress, to forget their problems. That's a coping mechanism. Any coping mechanism can potentially become an addiction. Because it's a mood altering drug, I think it is more likely to become an addiction than non substance related coping mechanisms.
  5. kariad28

kariad28 Member

It is very addictive trust me I know. People say that it isn't a drug but it is. It's just not a bad one I know tons of people that smoke it. They always say that they will quit but it never happens. I won't advice anyone to try any drug because once you start it's hard to stop.
  6. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

People can pontificate on the matter all they want but it wont change the fact that it is an addictive substance. What is next? A debate on gravity? Just because you personally didn't become addicted to it does not mean it isnt an addictive substance. Now with that said, the common belief that anything can be addictive is wrong. Addiction is possible when there are measurable physiological changes in the brain that occur with use. There are physical symptoms of addiction. Addiction is a disease, and it isn't just psychological. You can't be addicted to biting your nails for example.
  7. denel

denel Member

Marijuana also known as Cannabis Saliva affects everyone differently. I've had my taste of this herb a few times and I must say the feeling is unexplainable, but I have however, been able to control the need for it on a regular basis. As I grew older I was able to stop completely and well of course I would be out of a job if I continued. But if I didn't have these restrictions I would of most certainly continue use at once or twice a week, because this herb calms you, it calms your entire aura. It let's you be peaceful enough to be able to think and focus. But again everyone is different.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I haven't smoked marijuana that long to say that it's addictive, but for me, I didn't get addicted to it. But like what the others have said, the THC is responsible for people to make them crave for it.
  9. sozier

sozier Member

I have never smoked marijuana but considering the fact that it is a drug I would say that it is most definitely addictive. I mean when I think about it I realize that I have never heard of a drug that was not addicting. I have heard of prescription drugs that people can get addicted to. Drugs are drugs and in one way or another if people are not careful then they will become addicted. So overall, I do believe that marijuana is very addicting.
  10. Shimus

Point in fact of it's addiction; I smoked for ten years. Dropped it, nearly no issue whatsoever unless we speak of psychological triggers then I can give you a booklet of issues.

I know some people who do nothing but SMOKE and they've only smoked for three or so years - and they're physiologically addicted to the habit, they need THC fixes just as a smoker of tobacco needs nicotine. So it really does differ from person to person.
  11. lin-duh

lin-duh Member

Addictive. There might not be addictive ingredients, but the "high" is addictive. Just ask my husband when he has to go half a day without it. He is completely intolerable to be around. He gets so mean.
  12. It is absolutely addictive. I would say mostly psychological, and not as addictive as harder drugs, but addictive nonetheless.
  13. Shimus

It's not equal parts physiological and psychological, but they both are there to see. You can't have one without the other; yin without yang; good without evil. They're two parts to the same coin. It's just what side has the coin spent more time on.

Generally it's the psychological aspect. But I know some who NEED it or they turn into a monster, or they whimper and whine, or they can't eat without it (literally, like Chemo patients or my Mother who no appetite due to thousands of prescribed pills - the only thing that made her eat was the munchies from pot) so I know some who NEED it as well. But 75% of the time, it's for the psychological aspect I would say.
  14. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Kind of in a bit, but it is mostly just a habit forming drug. I would say that I get angsty when I'm really craving it but nothing much else besides that.
  15. juanperez1990

juanperez1990 Active Contributor

So much wrong here. Let me start by saying drugs are not classified as drugs because they are addictive. Ibuprofen is a drug for Christ's sake! Then come the people saying marijuana is physically addictive because their friend gets in a bad mood when he doesn't smoke. So what? My kids get in a bad mood when I don't give them ice cream and I get in a bad mood when I don't get any sex for a week. Are ice cream and coitus physically addictive too? The day someone can honestly tell me they can't sleep, think clearly, get headaches or loss of appetite due to not being able to smoke a joint, then that day I'll say marijuana is physically addictive. I use tobacco as an example because, opposite to marijuana, it doesn't matter if your mind is over it, your body is not and still needs it. Quitting tobacco requires you putting up with you body telling you "Stop, give me another cigarette or I'll get cranky!" On the other hand, quitting marijuana only requires you make the decision. No night sweats, no headaches, no loss of appetite, no bad mood. People who claim otherwise are simply weak-minded. Anger and cravings are not physiological symptoms. Anger and cravings are in your mind. If your logic was sound, then you'd have to agree obese people are drug addicts and that food is a drug!
  16. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Marijuana has an 8 percent addiction rate after various studies were completed on the substance itself.