An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicts angry about withdrawing

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Janie, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Is there a common attitude or emotion when something is trying to detox or quit their addiction?

When one person I know is in the process of withdrawing, they are extremely angry and nasty. They are in a constantly horrible mood, barking and angry about everything, they are full of negativity and just very difficult to be around. That behavior continues for a good while, then is only alleviated on the day they start using again. Then they are back to their happy selves.

Is everyone different, or is that typical behavior of an addict?
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know some people, who have had a hard time to get off the substance and also have a hard time to change and also it will take time to leave it permanently. I think it, can be hard to stop as it can still be in the mind that I need it and can't live without it and need to get back to it. I have seen some people do get angry, and when trying to stop they get angry as they are finding it hard to break away from it.
  3. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

Absolutely. It seems that recovering addicts, especially those who have been using for many years, don't know how to live without the substance and find it hard to cope without it. Therapy is highly recommended for these people.
  4. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

Yes, sure. Having to give up something you are so addicted to most often results in mixed emotions. And anger is one of the natural human responses when it comes to something enjoyable taken from us, especially if it's not gradually. Because... why does an addiction start? Because we enjoy it (at least in the beginning) or because it helps us deal with something we can't deal with any other way. Both are things we want in our lives, consciously or not. So anger is quite normal, I think. When it gets too intense, though, it's time to seek professional help!
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Anger and even resentment are two of the most common symptoms when people are suffering withdrawal symptoms form any substance. They feel angry at the situation they're in, obviously the other symptoms of withdrawal will be playing on their mind aswell and it seems that the future is bleak.

I've been there and a lot of the time I was more frustrated at myself but tended to lash out at others, blaming other people is always better than blaming yourself, even when you know deep down it's you that's got yourself into the mess your in.
    missbishi likes this.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Good post, Pwarbi. I also think that they withdrawal symptoms create irritability. I know that's the case with me.

Sometimes, even thinking about it starts the reaction. Even though right now it's only cigarettes, my husband says I'm already becoming irritable just thinking about quitting. We decided to do vaping starting this weekend as a means of quitting. He says just the thought of not smoking has already put me on edge (well, it is partially because I started smoking less to prepare too), but I didn't even realize it until he brought it up.
    pwarbi and missbishi like this.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'd agree that irritability is a withdrawal symptom. It's a common feeling in people withdrawing from all kinds of substances - from caffeine right through to heroin. @Zyni the thought of giving up cigs for vaping had me worried for at least a week beforehand. I can promise you though, it's the best favor you will ever do yourself.
    Zyni likes this.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Irritability is a strong and prominent symptom in the withdrawal process. It is just something that is going to happen and it is just something that everyone who is quitting has to deal with. Your brain is just trying to get used to living without its' previous endorphin stimulation.
  9. pwarbi

I think there's definitely a few different stages you go through when your withdrawing, aswell as the physical side of things, your body having to get used to doing without a substance that its got used to and needs, there's the mental aspect as well. You have to deal with the cravings but even when they calm down youve still got a long way to go emotionally.

Like I said its hard to look at yourself in the mirror sometimes knowing that you've let yourself get that low and it can take a long time to get any confidence in yourself back long after you're addiction has passed.

That's how it affected me anyway, even tho I was clean and life was back on track it wasn't until a long time after when I could say I was actually happy in myself.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

If the person was like a chronic user, it's pretty possible that emotions could play a part in the withdrawal process. I won't lie, when I took a break from smoking my emotions were all over the place.
  11. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I think it differs from person to person.
  12. pwarbi

I think emotions play a huge part of somebody coping with addiction, and I think this goes for most people but your right that I don't think everybody will have the same emotions.

Recovery is a very individual thing and different people will react and respond in different ways.
  13. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Yes, irritability is a common symptom of recovery. It is more so, when a substance is not available in the desired quantity. These are typical withdrawal symptoms and if not managed properly can result in relapse. The abused substance needs to be tapered off slowly and the symptoms must be monitored. A rehab center is best for recovering addicts.