New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Addicts should be taken Seriously

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by darkrebelchild, Feb 7, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

In our present world, most people live for themselves. But those who should be shown extra care and taken very seriously are addicts. It takes a situation for someone to get into a critical place like that. No one wishes to be tied to an addiction; everyone wants to be free.
    Suggestions on how to take addicts seriously are welcome here.
  2. Kyndalion

Kyndalion Member

I completely agree!
    I find the biggest problem is the fact that addiction is dealt with as a supply problem. The supply of the drug or behavior is cut off, and that's it! The person isn't dealt with properly. Addiction is a problem caused by a maladaptive defense mechanism. They are using or doing something because the dopamine released improves their brain chemistry. Therapy and psychiatry is key.
  3. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I agree that addicts should be taken seriously, but so should non-addicts. It's a bad disease that impairs judgement and reality. So, in my honest opinion, addicts should be taken seriously to a realistic degree. I've noticed a pattern in my friends history. When they are airing it out for the world to know, they are needing attention, but you will never be able to give them enough of that. When the addict does their habit in secrecy, they are ashamed of what people will say. Those are the ones that need the help the most. Therapy and sometimes drug replacement (prescribed) can help, but there needs to be a degree of willpower, or history can repeat itself. It's a touchy situation for sure.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A simple way to show addicts that you care is by constantly encouraging them to stop using drugs because they [the drugs] are bad for them. Many addicts may not like this but at least they'll know there's someone who cares for them. This knowledge could be what might at some time motivate them to change.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

One should not take addictions lightly. And there are precedents to this. Some in the throes of addiction, psychosis, or depression have committed suicide out of despair, diminished cognition or a sense of abandonment. Others have been known to commit grievous crimes even multiple murders. People should not ignore the warning signs. Some people take drugs to attract attention to an issue in their lives which they find difficult to handle.
  6. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Actually listen to the addict when they talk.
    • Being judgmental will get you no where with an addict.
    • Understand that there is an underlying cause of what started the addiction. No one chooses to ruin their life for the hell of it.
    • Offer help, don't force help (unless the situation has elevated to that point)
    • Don't get negative, always stay positive when dealing with an addict.
    These are just a few key things that I think most addicts will agree with.
    CryingCanary likes this.
  7. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I wholeheartedly agree with you OP. I get super upset when people treat those who are addicted as if they are outcasts or a menace to society. Its not like anyone wants to be an addict or an alcoholic. Some people are so judgmental that it makes me really mad. My husband is a recovering addict and alcoholic and he has been treated very poorly by those who you would think would understand. Sadly you have to just realize that some people are ignorant to what addiction is, and that is a disease.
  8. The beast

The beast Member

I do drink and it haas caused some problems.I have used a large number of drugs in the past and it was something i could never really shake.I see old friends who are methed out and i know it is killing them but i cant do much for them besides let them know i understand.I was smoking crack after my second trip to prison and knew i would go back if i didnt stop.I found a place called celibrate recovery and it helped me pull out of it.In truth my desire for drugs is completly gone and i believe it was God who took away all my desire.Maybe i am crazy because i still drink but i sure dont care for any drug.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  9. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

This! The addicts and their addictions as well. A lot of people wave addicts with 'uncommon' addictions off because it's not popular or well known, but what they don't know is that the person is struggling and battling that addiction like every other person. Some very good points were given by @BBarnett22, especially the being judgmental will not ever help bit. As if we (addicts) aren't frowned upon by society already. We need support, not your judgement.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    aimeep80 likes this.