An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adolescent Smoking and Drinking at Historic Lows, marijuana on the rise

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by kevinkimers, Nov 14, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I found this article written on July 20, 2012. It talks about how smoking and drink in adolescents has dropped but marijuana use has risen. I can imagine now that marijuana is legal how high it has gotten now.

Here is a link to the full article.
  2. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

LOL I wonder if the pun was intended, im sure everything and everyone is getting nice and high now that legalization and decriminalization is rising across the states and as awareness grows so will the numbers.
  3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

LOL, Pun intended. I was wondering if anyone would catch that. The one thing about Marijuana is that it IS medicinal. I have seen how it works, but like any drug (regardless if it is legal or not) misuse can and does happen and it can and is dangerous when it is misused.
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Good! That is good news to me!

Seriously, what is called marijuana, cannabis, or hemp has never directly caused the death of a human in the whole of historical human use of the plant. The synthetic garbage has caused a few deaths, but that is due to its unnaturalness. People need to do a deeper research into the benign qualities of cannabis before deeming it as a gateway drug or unhealthy to humans, because even now cannabis researchers are discovering that the oils of cannabis do have a healing effect against cancer and other illnesses.

I my opinion, its better for people to consume cannabis than tobacco, ethanol, or other drugs.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Weed's effects are different but they are as bad as if not worse than what cigars can do to someone. When people smoke weed in moderation, it's fine up to some point but if someone smokes too much of it, then there are chances of that person having a psychotic break.

I've seen it happen.
  6. Glen

Glen Member

I believe that this is the outcome of the controversy and legalization of marijuana across the country. Youths are seeing this as an opportunity to experiment with something other than common beer and cigarettes, which seem to be considered too "old-school" for them. Also, this is also a drug that we're talking about, not anything like tobacco and liquor, and people tend to prefer the mind-altering effect that marijuana offers.
    Paired with the fact that marijuana has less harmful side-effects and sometimes even has health benefits, people are seeing marijuana as more justified than alcohol and tobacco.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I question the validity of any poll. If you haven't talked to every child in the world, then how accurate is the poll or statistic? Million of kids in the world, they might of talked to 1000 of them. Is that accurate? Nope. Then why even look at it?
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a feeling it's why it was suppressed for so long so that these industries wouldn't be negatively affected by a plant that's so easy to grow and find yourself and use as an alternative without all the harm. I think a lot of people theorize this as well since I keep hearing about it in the videos and documentaries I've watched.
  9. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

In my opinion these are good news, thousands of people die everyday from alcohol and tobacco use, but no death has been ever registered over marijuana.