An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adults giving alcohol to Children?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Miaka_M, May 9, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

This happened quite a long time ago, but when I was around the age of 7 I went to a family party. Of course there was drinking and I distinctly remember one of my uncles calling me over and giving me a sip of alcohol to drink. Now, I don't remember what it was exactly, but it tasted ghastly! I conversed with many people over the years and they've also had the experience where an adult had given them alcohol when they were children. Have any of you ever experienced this and why is it such a common thing?
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Such adults are irresponsible. I saw some people doing that to underage people and I'm so against it. They get an earful from me.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've seen that happen quite a few times, especially when it's a celebration like a birthday party or a wedding.

They think that it's ok to do it just as a one off or because it a a special occasion.
  4. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I don't know why it's okay to give this to minors. It's very inappropriate and irresponsible.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My grandparents use to give me some beer every now and then. I don't know why they did that. Maybe there were drunk or just didn't see the harm of doing that.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard of some of those type of cases. Anybody giving alcohol to minors should be put in jail.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't think there's any need to put relatives who give kids a small sip of their drink once or twice in jail. In fact, more should be done to teach children about responsible drinking and we should make an attempt to demystify it. This might stop it becoming the "forbidden fruit".
  8. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

My grandfather used to drink gin & tonic. I was a toddler and a I had a plastic toy milk bottle set with six small toy milk bottles and a plastic carrier. He had the gin bottle and the soda bottle on the floor next to his recliner. I would sneak over and poor a little of each into my little milk bottles and drink them. I had no idea that it was alcohol and that it was bad for me, I just thought I was sneaking grandpa's drink into my bottles. I only did it a few times. I didn't make the connection to how I felt with what I drank until years later. I just had thought I was sick. When I was in my twenties my mom told me about it not realizing I remembered something from when I was so young. The frustrating part is that is was shared as an amusing anecdote of my childhood. My parents apparently knew what I had been up to and didn't see how serious of an issue it was. If any of my children had done that I would have been alarmed rather than amused by the intoxication. It only happened a couple times. I think they may have had my grandfather keep the stuff out of my reach after that.
  9. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

I would say these parents are irresponsible for doing so. Alcohol's effects on the developing minds of child and teens can be detrimental. Wait until they are adults being giving them a drink.
  10. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I saw a similar situation with a neighbor before. The father is a regular beer drinker. One time, they invited us over for dinner and there was alcohol involved after that. I actually saw him give a sip of beer to his 4 year old son so I was a bit shocked by the scene.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Certain cultures do give their children alcohol. It might be religious reasons or sometimes what they believe to be a poor mans medicine. It's true. Some cultures think alcohol will make a child level headed in the absence of real western medicine.
  12. pwarbi

I think the amount of alcohol and how many times they do it, is also a factor.

Every now and again it's not going to be too much of an issue, but if it's a regular occurrence then that's when something might need to be done about it.
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It seems to be quite a common thing in society. Not just current society. This has been going on forever. Is it necessarily a bad thing? No. Have I done this? No. I think it depends on the specifics of the circumstance.
  14. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I don't think this is too frightening to be honest. I drank some beer when I was a little kid too (I'm talking about 10-years-old kid orso) that was given from my father. Until you just drink a little sip it's all fine in my opinion.. I mean alchool it's not poison that you'll die in a few moment if you taste it. I didn't like it too so I just threw it away and ended it up.
    It's another game if the relative force you to drink it but as I can see that was not your case so I guess it's pretty fine like this.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that, maybe some adults don't think it is bad and also thinka sip will not hurt but infact it can and lead to a child starting to like it and think it is alright as well. I think the environment can be a factor too and also, some people may think it is not wrong and may just give it every now and again. If it is used as medicine than need to be careful, as some cultures may allow it and not think anything is wrong with doing it and need to see what the consequences are due to it.
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

A very little amount of beer given once in a while doesn't truly affect anyone, and I would personally give my children a tiny "foretaste" if they celebrated my or their birthday. I see nothing wrong in it.

However, most adults abuse and treat them as if they were 40, and offer them 5-6 glasses of beer, which I'm totally against. We should really reconsider our options I'd say.
  17. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I had sips of alcohol as a child, never anything more than that. At the time I thought it was disgusting as well, but that didn’t stop me drinking years later. I certainly don’t blame my childhood sips of alcohol for that, though; adult drinking was my choice, no matter how irresponsible a choice it may have been in some cases. So I don’t really have a problem with it, so long as it doesn’t go beyond a few sips and it isn’t forced.
  18. pwarbi

I was allowed to have a small bit of alcohol on special occasions aswell, when I was growing up. Like I said, and most other people have said, it's not going to do a great deal of harm.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Adults tend to make fun of children or put them in the spotlight whenever they're intoxicated. My dad never encouraged us to drink and would even decline on our behalf whenever a relative handed us a glass of beer. I may have started drinking in high school but it was merely out of curiosity - and sanctioned at that. My parents were more lenient over the holidays and only because instead of beer, they bought wine (which was deemed more healthy and sophisticated in our household). As long as there's proper adult supervision, children won't end up becoming alcoholics even if they drink alcohol at an early age.
  20. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

I guess they think that it is funny. It is probably not morally correct however. I think they also know that you will not like the drink at all, and maybe they are trying to scare you away from the drink. Either way, I would never give my child even a sip of alcohol because I do not want alcohol to be commonplace in my household.