An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adults giving alcohol to Children?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Miaka_M, May 9, 2015.

1. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

My own dad used to give me alcohol when i had barely finished elementary school and i used to take it gladly, i mean who can refuse a drink from their dad? Looking back, i can remember vividly the stern look my mum used to give me and how she could reprimand me when we were together in private. I guess she knew what i was getting into and she could not just sit back and watch as i got initiated to a world of recklessness and destroy my future.
  2. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

That's a funny story, haha, what a smart and mischievous little toddler you were haha. I myself would have been more alarmed than amused, I don't know what kind of effect it would have on my child. I wonder how it is that your grandpa didn't notice that his drink was shrinking by just sitting there.

Personally I wouldn't give any child under the age of 14 an alcoholic beverage (or a sip), it may not be poisonous, but if they do have a low tolerance, it could bring about more damage. If they like it, they may start to hide and drink their parents' stock piles and become addicted. I wouldn't expose such drinking at a young age. :(
  3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I agree, but I'm not even sure it is a good idea at adulthood. Maybe parents should just discourage it in general. I don't know.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

He had a few before I started. he would just pour more right there. Plus I was a light weight at 3. I'm sure you can imagine it wouldn't have taken much being so small.
  5. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I have seen it happen a few times and every time the child has hated the taste of alcohol. My niece asked me for some of my Irish cream once and I told her to smell it first, she took one sniff, retched and said she didn't want any. I don't see the big deal in a taste.
  6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Whoops, I meant to say that (in general) it's safest to give to it them when they are adults. After all, their brain and body has mostly finished development, transitioning from the "turbulent" teenage body. I don't think it's a good idea to give alcohol to someone either.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I hear a lot of stories from the grandparents about how they were given alcohol pretty casually. Perhaps it was just a thing of the times? I don't think they fully understood the negative aspects of alcohol as well. Maybe it also has to do with that alcohol was considers "medicine." Hey I still have friends that drink a "hot toddy" (warmed up whiskey drink) when they are sick in an attempt to use the booze to "kill" the germs!
    Anyways another thing I was actually talking about with family just a few days ago was the "Euro" vs "American" perception of alcohol and the young. My Europeans family says it is common to for the kids to have wine with dinner, that it normalized alcohol and this way when they turn legal they don't go crazy and get blackout like the famous American college crowd. Any thoughts on this?
    Clairelouise84 likes this.
  8. JohnBeaulieu

Ah. Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense to me. Yeah... being a teenager almost felt like a disease in and of itself to me.
  9. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I think it is smart, they are taught it is a normal and healthy thing to have and that i is not a taboo or bad thing and so they don't binge on it. It's the "you must not do it" factor that makes many people binge as it makes them feel rebellious and independent. A healthy respect for alcohol and what it can do and how it should be taken is a great way to teach kids.
  10. joelsiff

joelsiff Member

When I was 8 my family took me out water skiing and all they brought was beer, I drank one and fell to sleep. I remember liking it. Feeling like a big person, but I have never had a drinking issue. It is different for everyone. being predisposed.
  11. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I remember being given a small glass (shot) of gin slush. It was good. I was only about four or five. It put me to sleep. I don't know why it was given to me. It could have been for any one of the reasons mentioned here.

I didn't drink alcohol when my sons were born. Their father and his family drank like a flowing river and I didn't want my sons around them because of their actions under the influence was very obnoxious.
  12. I wasn't quite that young, but I do remember being about 11 or so and being allowed a few sips of champagne during Christmas. I'm fairly young (old enough to drink but only by a few years) so I don't even really think its a matter of it being "a different time back then". I think it's just maybe some parents are more lax than others when it comes to it. I never got drunk or sick, and I was never given anything stronger than champagne.

I have my own daughter now. Sometimes my husband and I go out to dinner and he or I will order a drink (he usually orders a beer, I'll order a mixed drink) and she'll ask what it is. I'm upfront and say it's alcohol, and she knows enough (she's 7) to be like "yuck" lol. For the record, she doesn't know "yuck" because she's tasted it, she knows it because we told her it's only for grown ups and it's necessarily a healthy choice (coffee on the other hand, I'm honest enough to say she knows yuck by taste...I did give her a sip at Starbucks to satisfy her curiosity...she's no longer curious about coffee lol)
  13. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I have seen this scenario play out a lot where adults give children alcohol to consume and then hope that the child will react in a manner where either they become drunk or some other reaction which they find to be amusing. It is a practice especially with boys whereby a family member thinks they are giving them an experience of manhood.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

That is the thing. I really don't see how it is a healthy thing. It may be normal but I'm not sure it is healthy.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that those adults letting kids drink or taste alcoholic drinks are irresponsible.
    I do not have such experience when I was a child and very seldom that someone is drinking in the household. They mostly drink outside.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There was this family tradition. Each Christmas we had a family reunion deep in the country. And they always made moonshine. Everyone including the kids were allowed . . . nay, they were goaded into tasting of the stuff. Most of us did. And since it was but once a year, the adults didn't think it was all that bad.
  17. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

Ive seen this many times and it has always been at an event so I'm thinking it has something to do with a special occasion that makes people think its acceptable. I used to think parents would do this to show children that it tastes "horrible" and they will never want to drink it again which is never the case. As a child of course they think its disgusting but they don't think about that when they are older and their taste buds and personality changes.
  18. ohno

ohno Member

I grew up with a family of alcoholics. I grew up hating the taste of alcohol and no matter what anyone gave me, I didn't like it.

I think its commonplace because of the way society has always been. It isn't uncommon to go to other countries and see a child drinking. At one time everyone was given wine as a drink didn't matter if you were 30 or 12.

When it comes to today's society I think its okay to give them a sip as a child. One most of the time we find it to be terrible at age 12. Two, its a small sip not a six pack, or a shot. Obviously 5 year olds shouldn't be given any. But as we age into teenage years I think its acceptable to experience it in a closed environment with family. Especially because kids can get it much younger and abuse it.
  19. felicitybebe

felicitybebe Member

In my opinion, giving alcohol to a person who is under the legal drinking age is never okay. There have been many instances in my lifetime where a friend's mother would offer me alcohol at a slumber party, and act as if it was no big deal. These types of parents normally give under age kids alcohol for two very vague reasons. First, the parent does it because they are intoxicated themselves, and at the time have no regard for what they are doing. Second, the parent wants to seem "cool" or "laid back" to their child's friends. Neither of these reasons are an excuse for ruining the lives of children at a young age, but these reasons are most likely the cause for this behavior.
  20. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Yeah same thing happed to me, as far as I remember my grandparents once did let me try some wine when I was about 10 years old. But it didn't change much really, since at that time I didn't really enjoyed the taste of wine as I did later.