An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Advice for caffeine addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Morvack, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

Hello. hoping someone can give me some advice. I am trying to get my self mostly off caffeine, and as you can probably imagine, my energy levels went down faster than a rock tossed in a pond. Has anyone had similar issues, and can give me some ideas on how to get my energy levels back up? It has got to the point where just playing video games feels like a hassle to me. I appreciate all replies :D
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never got addicted to caffeine but I think drinking lots of water could somewhat help you since water can hydrate the body. Maybe you can also try drinking other healthy drinks instead like fruit juices. Keep in mind that those drinks could also help you feel energized.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Try weening off by switching to tea. I was once very into coffee as well though I wouldn't consider myself an addict by any means, but eventually I just developed more of a taste for tea and just making a habit out of it instead of coffee has been better for me overall because I'm not as jittery and I have a way easier time falling asleep at night.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I was never addicted to caffeine, luckily I don't like how it tastes, but I know quite a few people who get headaches when they don't drink it...
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I'm going to assume that you use sugar with your coffee. You need to ask yourself if it's the coffee or the sugar that you are addicted to? In some scientific studies, sugar was proven to be more addictive then cocaine. I'm serious. Majority of the people in the world eat it (sugar,carbs,starches) everyday and if ask to stop consuming it, they would say no. Only a small percentage of the world actually use coke compared to sugar.
    Zyni likes this.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have successfully given up caffeine myself and yes, it's surprisingly difficult at first - you feel tired, lethargic and like you just can't find the energy. You didn't say whether you drink coffee, you just said caffeine. Do you drink other caffeine drinks too?
  7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I believe that the caffeine is more addicting that the sugar in this particular case. A sugar addict will look sugar elsewhere, not in coffee right?
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's not easy to get over a caffeine addiction because virtually almost everything else which you could switch to contains some caffeine be it chocolate, tea, etc. The only way to break the habit is to avoid everything that contains caffeine.

So now to the question, "how do you get your energy levels up?"

Exercise. It will make you happy and energize you at the same time.
  9. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

But wouldn't tea be a healthy alternative to get caffeine?
    Sure that it has some caffeine but it's not comparable to coffee, it's not a harmful amount, at least I don't think so.
    And it would at least wane you away from coffee.
  10. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Just eat healthy, get sleep, and slowly decrease your caffeine intake. It is not that hard to get off caffeine if you really want to, but it can be hard to go cold turkey. There are lots of herbal teas you can switch to for good hot beverages with no calories and no caffeine.
  11. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi Morvack. I understand you are asking about ways to perk you up now that you're weaning yourself off caffeine, right? You aren't asking how to get off caffeine, right?

Anyway, here's my 2-cents worth of ideas. Hitting the gym is one energy booster. Or just walk around your neighborhood. I know that you may seem to lack the energy to even think of doing it. But once you get started, it will pump you up.

Yoga not only clears the mind and helps with self-control, but also boost one's energy.

Try to get enough sleep. Now that you've lessened your caffeine, maybe you can sleep better and that's good because it makes you more energetic.

Eat more healthy fresh food.

Good luck to you!
  12. Sparkster

Yes, tea is a much healthier alternative. Whilst tea does have caffeine in it, it's only a very small amount in a cup of tea compared to a cup of coffee. Tea is also full of antioxidants which help protect against cancer-causing agents.
  13. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Definitely try tapering off and not going cold turkey. Figure out how many ounces of coffee you are consuming a day, and start by just reducing that amount by 1 oz. Sure, it doesn't sounds like much at first but such a small amount won't cause a big jolt to your system and by the end of a week you will have cut back almost one full cup a day.
  14. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

I had a serious caffeine addiction, not to coffee but to soda and boy did it take a toll on my waistline :oops: I could not start the day without a can of Pepsi and if I didn't have more with lunch I would be asleep on my desk by 2. I knew better then to just stop drinking it cold, you get terrible headaches and become pretty irate, so I tried an idea that my sons girlfriend suggested. You know how when you go out to eat most places load up the ice because of the free re-fills? well she said let them but also order a glass of ice water too. The trick is drink some soda, then some water, eventually decrease the soda and before I knew it I only drink the water now. I had no idea how dehydrated the cola was making me. I must drink about a half a gallon of water a day. The nice side perk is that I started to lose weight.

Now coffee can be hard because there are so many yummy flavors now, how about instead of drinking coffee you switch to hot chocolate with a coffee shot and just cut back that way. Less coffee more chocolate, you still get that warm feeling of fullness.
  15. Strykstar

Do you think drinking tea is a good solution to try and stop drinking coffee?
    Or would the caffeine in tea make it easier to fall back onto coffee?
  16. Sparkster

No, tea is very different - you just don't get that boost from the caffeine in tea, as you do with coffee and this is noticeable at first. It won't wake you up in the same way. In fact, tea relaxes you more than it wakes you up and the amount of caffeine in a cup of tea is negligible. You won't become reliant on it.
  17. Strykstar

That's interesting to see how the same substance (caffeine) can have a different effect in two different products, it must be how it interacts with the other ingredients in tea and in coffee...
    Seems like tea is a great way to stop drinking coffee then, it still gives you a caffeine fix but it doesn't make you addicted to it because of the lack of a "rush".
  18. Sparkster

Yep, kind of. I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the other chemicals contained in tea (such as antioxidants for example) or not to be honest. In large quantities there is actually more caffeine in tea than there is in coffee, but in small quantities (such as in a cup of tea) there is much less caffeine in tea than in coffee.
  19. Strykstar

I'm not sure how that works, how does tea have more caffeine in large quantities, but less caffeine in smaller quantities?
    What changes molecularly besides the serving size, isn't it just a portion matter?
  20. Sparkster

I guess it's really just to do with weight. Tea is much lighter than coffee, which is a lot more dense, so in large quantities you would get what looks like a lot more tea. What I found out is that an average 100-g cup of tea has about 20mg of caffeine in it, whereas a 100-g cup of coffee would have 40-mg.