New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Advice for family member needed please

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Kchocki, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Kchocki

Kchocki Member

hi, I’m new to this and would like some advice please as I have a very limited knowledge of drugs

My cousin is homeless and is currently staying with us. He’s an ex heroin user and is taking methadone but the confusing part is he has a stash of needles, I thought you sipped it? He will spend all day in his room and only come out in the early hours of the morning (1-2am) to make food then go back to bed (he doesn’t get up to use the toilet)

I’ve also found out he’s smoking crack in our house. What are the side effects of using methadone and crack together? Why are there needles? Why does he never leave the room? And how do I confront him about this without making his addiction worse? I know there’s a lot of questions there, I just don’t know what to do anymore about it.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@Kchocki it sounds like his shooting the methadone,and is it crack or meth?There is a difference.Also many people on methadone still use heroin like ALOT of them do this would also explain the needles,one thing is for sure he is definitely up to something.Maybe start the conversation with "Hey how are you?"Or tell him honestly your concerned and really want to talk so you can better understand how to help him get his life back on track.Stay Strong and God Bless
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Hi I'm was addicted to heroin. I agree that methadone is just a form of holding you off until you can get your fix for heroin from my experience. he's cross addicted that's another problem addicted to uppers and downers. I would definitely start a conversation with him to see exactly where he's at and his addiction so you can help him figure out what he needs to do to stop using drugs if that's what he wants to do if not you should really tell him that he should make other arrangements to live elsewhere.
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Kchocki... Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your going through this with your cousin. I think @True concern and @Jai50 have given you excellent information and advice. Definitely have a conversation with your cousin. If he doesn't want to get help for his problem, he needs to find somewhere else to live. If you continue to let him live with you while he uses whatever drugs he's using, you're just enabling him.
  5. Kchocki

Kchocki Member

Thank you to all of you for the advice, it’s so easy to not see the obvious when you’re in the situation. I know I sound so nieave with this but that’s why I came here for the advice. I’ll have a chat with him tonight about it.
    I can’t thank you all enough for the advice @True concern @deanokat @Jai50
    True concern likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

No problem, @Kchocki. I hope the chat goes well.
  7. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

He lucky to have a cousin that care so much. I was lucky that my family understood my situation and put up with a lot of my bullshit good luck with that conversation.
    deanokat likes this.