An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Advice for someone who thinks they may be an alcoholic

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Chriswriter, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

I thought a useful thread on here might be one that discusses first time addiction. That point when it dawns on a person that they may have problem. If you could tell a young person who thinks they may have an addiction one thing, what would it be?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My advice would be to seek help immediately before things get out of hand. As soon as you know it is becoming a problem reach out and ask for help. There are so many resources out there Use the support of family and friends. Stay strong and take care of yourself.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I guess I would tell that person to not be superficial. If I can't stop him/her from drinking alcohol I can at least raise awareness and make him/her understand how dangerous this addiction is. They can choose to listen and be careful or not, it's their choice.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

My advice would be to be honest with yourself. You might be able to hide your drinking from your friends and family but deep down you know how much you drink.

As @L_B said, there are so many resources out there so seeking help is definitely possible. There is a lot of information online about moderate drinking levels, versus dangerous drinking. Being informed before analyzing your drinking is important. For example, if you think it's safe and moderate to drink a 12 pack of beer each night, then you might not realize you have a problem with alcohol.
  5. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Find someone who understands and discuss it don't do like we all do and hide it for years and suffer through it alone, get help so you can live your life and not be controlled by it.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I would say that better to stop consuming alcohol before it is too late. There could be some bad effects already to that person such as being sick or always feeling sick. Better to really seek help the earliest possible.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I will tell that person to seek help already be it from a counsellor, family or friends. The earlier that a person can realise he or she has a problem, the better. Recovery is easier if you have support behind you. Never walk through an addiction alone. There are people to help even if your family or friends abandoned you already. Join groups and organisations that will help you get through this.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It depends, if you are addicted to sport I see nothing wrong with that ;) But the degree of seriousness varies a lot depending on the addiction, like I'd not give the same advice I gave to an alcoholic to a heroin addict, for example. If it was an alcoholic I'd advice him or her to go to the AA meetings, just sit there and check them out, but I'd only advice him/her to do that if I know they do believe in something... the AA programs can't work so well with people who are atheists. I know a couple who attends a group that uses the same AA methodology, but targeted at people with ''neurosis''. The program hasn't worked for them at all... I believe that is because they don't believe in any kind of superior power.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That's easy. I would tell them to stop. It's that simple. Time to stop what you are doing and look at what you are turning into. Look at what you were before and they goals you had. Drinking is putting your priorities in disarray. So yeah, please stop or at least cut back before it gets out of hand.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would tell them to completely reevaluate their lives and their drinking habits. I would say that they just need to take a step back and realize what they are doing.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Definitely. It is extremely simple, regardless of how awkward you feel.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

"You'll gain nothing from alcohol. Booze will ruin your life, it will make you lose friends, your job too and if you aren't careful, you'll lose your family too. Is this the life you want? To be alone, miserable? ? Did you see what happened to X, Y and Z when they didn't stop drinking? Do you want to be a loser like them? Do you . . ."

That would be the sort of speech I'd make hoping it would convince the addict to change.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

As soon as you have realized that you have a substance abuse issue and this is somehow affecting your life in a negative way, please seek help from other people right away. You would be needing support and love so you could be able to overcome these issues. Of course, take one step at a time. Have patience and keep the faith.
  14. I would tell them to stop for a month, if it's hard for them to stop then they should definitely seek professional help. I'm always trying to stop and seldom feel like I will ever be successful. I would hate for a young person to follow in my footsteps and live their life with alcohol on their mind every single day. It can be easy to stop if you stop early but it's much harder the longer you drink.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Most people will know they have a problem with alcohol, but taking that first step to actually do something about it is often the biggest challenge.

Sticking your head in the sand and pretending everything is fine when you know it's not, is the easier option but at the end of the day until you face up to things yourself then nobody else can help or do it for you.