An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Advice for young adults?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jasmine2015, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Every day there is someone bound to turning 21. It is also the age of when you can finally have your first drink legally. What advice do you have for these up coming adults?
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I've been thinking recently that some good advice might be for them to go out on the town (or whatever they are into that involves drinking) sober at least once. They'll see the actions and condition of people who are drunk and might get a better first-hand perspective of alcohol's effects.

The legal drinking age here is 18 but, as is quite common I believe, people find ways to consume alcohol before they turn 18. When I turned 18 I definitely thought I was bullet-proof and that the things that happen to other people didn't apply to me. I can definitely see the positives of raising the drinking age to 21. You don't realize how vulnerable and easily influenced you are when you're 18.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

I definitely think that it is helpful for a person to be more mature when they reach drinking age. The more mature you are, the more likely you will act responsibly. My advice to a young adult that has reached drinking age, is that you have been granted a privilege that your age has made you deemed responsible to handle. So, don't take it for granted and don't take advantage of it. It can back fire on you.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Drink responsibly is the best advice. Common sense is the most important thing for people who can legally drink for the first time. The best way to stay away from being in a car accident or becoming a alcoholic is doing everything in moderation. Alcohol can be as dangerous as any drug if not used the right way. The rest they will have to figure out for themselves.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Use common sense if you really want to drink. Also, don't start drinking because you can now since you're 21 and definitely don't give in to peer pressure. Don't think about being cool and your friends admiring you if you get wasted every night since that's only a false feeling of security that'll go away sooner or later.
  6. singingintherain

I think that's one of the hardest things for teenagers - it was for me anyway! I would never have admitted it at the time but with the wisdom of hindsight I can see this. I know that some people manage to avoid this (trying to be cool all the time) but I don't really know how to encourage avoiding it.
  7. radwifey

radwifey Member

I am not even 21 yet, but I see so many irresponsible young adults and all I have to say is be mature and whatever you do, do NOT drink and drive. That has the worst possible outcome ever. You could go to jail for the rest of your life if you were to have a wreck and kill someone if you were under the influence of alcohol. My advice is to be safe, be smart, be aware of your surroundings, and KNOW YOUR LIMIT!
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here it will be 18 years old and some are even drinking on their teenager years since not too strict here in implementing those laws. Definitely my advice would be, be responsible. It is important that there should be a limit.
  9. The only thing I can say is for them to be careful not be addicted. Beer is just a beverage. Well, not just a beverage but it shouldn't be put on a pedestal. Just drink it occasionally and keep it under the limit. At leat just don't go beyond tipsy. No need to lose your mind. Beides, binge drinking comes with nasty hangovers, and financial and social problems.
  10. DarkWaltz

DarkWaltz Member

I think one major thing to consider, for vets and noobs. Dont be evil. Before you EVER take your first drink make a deal with yourself. Something like this, "Every beer i crack open, I will think of the potential hurt that could come from being reckless". If you can crack that beer and down it without affecting a single other person on the planet, go for it. If not, it will end bad, all bad!
    Regardless if YOU do anything wrong or not is irrelevant, people that are drinking are going to be under the microscope. If you don't wind up dead you could wind up in prison because the law is extremely unforgiving toward alcohol. If you are 20% percent responsible for something and a sober person is 80% responsible, guess what?
  11. singingintherain

Very true - there are so many negatives that come along with binge drinking. There aren't that many positives either. I guess you could say the disassociation is a positive as that is often what people are seeking when they get drunk. It pays to think about the cost of doing this though.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd advice them not to abuse alcohol... if they get addicted is not going to be pretty and they will ed up doing and saying things they will regret or might not even be able to remember... Alcoholism is not fun and can ruin lives, the key is moderation, but those who have an addictive personality should avoid alcohol. I wish someone had told me about the dangers of alcoholism.
  13. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

Most people want to get absolutely smashed when they reach legal drinking age.
    My advice would be,you can enjoy a drink or two when you start, but take it slow. I know you might not know your limits yet, but if you listen to what your body tells you and you stop at the right time, you can have an enjoyable night without feeling absolutely awful the next day and regretting it.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, in my country the legal drinking age is set to 18. The government is planning to increase it to 21 since many youths abuse alcohol. My only advice to young people who are about to have their first drink is to do so moderately. They must not give in to the peer pressure to drink excessively as this has the potential to ruin their lives.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Go home and get some rest. You have a job or an early class tomorrow. But seriously, I think they should consider taking it slow or none at all. But with that age comes the freedom to go to 21 and over establishments. So not everyone will take my advice and pass that up.
  16. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well
    Well the 21 age of legal consent is only applicable to the USA if I am not wrong because everywhere else allows drinking at the legal age one is considered an adult with is 18 years for most countries. All I can say to them is that alcohol drinking is very overrated because it does nothing for the body when consumed in large quantities than to cause damage.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think I would be saying to them that they need to be responsible and also they should have a drink in moderation, as having more at night can make them sleep in the next day and miss things which they need to do. I reckon that the young people need to do more in their life and be active, so they do not get into the wrong crowd as that can be something which they can regret in their young days. It is important to eat something and also drink some water as well, so you don't drink on an empty stomach as that can be upsetting and also cause problems for the person, and have seen that happen.
  18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I didn't know about the age limit being lower in other countries. I couldn't imagine myself being mature enough to handle alcohol at 18. With a huge lack of life experience at that age that is a definite no for me.
  19. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

This stage in life will pass. Just make sure you do not get yourself into something you will find hard to drop later on in life. Don't go with the crowd, everyone has their life to live. Think long and hard before taking that drink as it might determine your life course.
  20. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My advice to them would be to find ways to have fun without alcohol or other drugs. For many young people an addiction to alcohol always begins with pursuit of fun. Go clubbing, drink. Go to a party, drink. Soon they start associating alcohol with fun and before they know no it no longer is drinking alcohol fun anymore. They must drink because their bodies have come to be dependent on the brew.

That's why my advice at all times will be, don't touch.