An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Advice on helping friends with heroin addiction

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by personafan2012, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Hi there. I used to have a crippling alcohol problem that would severely screw up every day life for me. I have recovered but I have a few friends who have a heroin addiction which depending on your views can be even worse. It really hurts and they're in denial that it's a problem. Every time I bring it up to them they shut me out and something needs to be done because at times they are walking zombies. Does anyone have any similar stories or advice for this situation?
  2. Jorge Solis

Jorge Solis Active Contributor

Hello, I think that it can be very difficult for anyone to talk about drugs and the problems that come with them. It is one of those "taboo" subjects that almost no one feels comfortable talking about. However, we are encouraged to help out our friends if they have a drug problem. Yet, it seems like this can be an almost impossible task to accomplish. I have a couple of friends who suffer from drug abuse. Let me tell you about how I was able to open their eyes and help them take the first step toward recovery. First of all, I personally believe that your friends have to realize that not only do they have a problem with drug abuse but that this problem has escalated to a point where it is affecting the people around them; whether it be family and/or friends. I think that drug users are okay with the idea of harming their own body because they feel that it is the cost for their substance abuse necessity. They feel that this is a price they are willing to pay for the pleasure of drugs. However, I have found to be the case that most users do not realize that their drug abuse affects other people as well; mainly their immediate family members. When they do realize the true consequences of drugs, the true price they are paying, they desperately begin to seek help. I think that this stage is where you as a friend can be a valuable asset in your friends recovery because you are looking at his problem from a different perspective and because you genuinely care about your friend. In other words, I think it would be pointless to try to help your friends when they have decided that they don't need help. Yet, when they realize that they do need the help, you are the friend that can make all the difference.
  3. I have also had this happen to me, where talking about a problem they have, that I once had, is not something they want to hear about.
    More often than not, they get defensive and I have gotten the feeling they think, I am better than them.
    I think it is more how you approach them or how you convey what you are trying to say.
    People won't really change unless they want to themselves, I have had luck in finding something that is very close to their heart and making them feel something distinct in relation to that.
    Whether that be a child, family member or a passion of theirs.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

If people don't want to be helped, even if the whole wide world ups and tries to help them, they simply wont be helped. The best thing you can do right now is to try and lightly shove them and encourage them into improvements, and maybe try to figure ways to show them by following examples, such as yours. Remember to not feel responsible if it doesn't work, because of aforementioned reasons!
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I want to commend you for looking out for your friends and having their best interests at heart. I honestly think you're doing the best thing for them and i just want to encourage you to continue on this path. They may think that you're a pain in their ass but eventually, they will thank you for looking out for them.
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Any addiction is a problem, but I have a personal hatred for heroin. Thankfully, I was never interested in even trying it. Unfortunately, I've seen it destroy people. I don't know if there is a "worst" drug, but if there is, I'd put that label on this one. It is horrible stuff.

Sadly, Dwayneu has a point. It's nearly impossible to help someone who isn't ready to seek help. Showing people that you can care is important though. They need to know that they aren't alone in the world and that someone is looking out for them.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it is almost impossible to help someone who is in denial. He should realize and accept that there is a problem in order to start seeking for a solution or help. You can keep trying to convince or talk about it but it will still up to that person.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, to be honest, you cannot fully help someone if he/she isn't even willing to help himself/herself. I think the best thing for you to do now is to keep encouraging them to change their ways for the better. Who knows, they might listen to you one of these days, and realize that they're life is so much better without drugs.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

Never give up telling them the truth even if they don't want to listen to you. I know that one time they will realise that you are telling them the truth. You can get them magazines that talk about effects of heroin. Suggest to them videos that can motivate them. Never give up talking about the truth.