An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Afraid it won't work

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by Angela927, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Angela927

Angela927 Member

Does anyone have experience with buprenorphine detox from oxycotin? I've tried to kick from home with vicodins and they didnt help at all. Tried cold turkey and know I can't do that
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Angela927,
    There are two different buprenorphine options for opiate detox. Some treatment centers offer one or the other, some offer both. I'm not a medical professional, but I have detoxed with both and will try to summarize their similarities and differences.

Subutex (Buprenorphine)
    Buprenorphine is an opioid partial agonist. In other words, although buprenorphine IS an opioid—and can produce side effects like euphoria and respiratory depression—its strongest possible effect is still less than a "full agonist" like heroin or methadone. At low doses it produces enough of an effect to help you discontinue opiate use without experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

Suboxone (Buprenorphine + Naloxone)
    Suboxone simply reduces potential for abuse by injection because it includes a second drug called Naloxone (which counteracts opiates). Sometimes the Naloxone can cause people to experience sudden and severe withdrawal symptoms if taken too soon after your last OxyContin - so just make sure you're honest with the rehab intake staff about the exact time you took it.

Long story short, yes. Buprenorphine will work for OxyContin withdrawal. :)
    Call the rehab hotline number if you need help finding the right detox facility: 1-800-943-0566
    tasha likes this.
  3. travestyman

travestyman Member

Hi Angela,

I don't know if you are still around these boards, but if you are, I hope you are doing so with the intention of finding a way to get where you want to be in life. One thing you said caught my eye, prompting this response, "kick from home with vicodins".

Please let me say that anything I say from here on out is what I would tell anyone looking for answers and that at no time will I ever speak to you in any way less than respectful, even if it the words sometimes may not seem that way. Sometimes, there are just no easy ways to say certain things. It's not up to me to give you the "tough love" approach, but on the same note, it won't do you any good to hear only that which you want to hear. In addition, anything I write here is something I fully expect you already to know, even though it may sound like I'm speaking to someone who doesn't know. I take this approach because sometimes someone who actually does not know any given bit of information may indeed be completely unaware of the knowledge shared. Ok, with that out of the way ...

Vicodins are opiates, too. You cannot kick opiates with opiates, at least not in the way you are describing. You can use them to ease your withdrawal symptoms, but replacement therapy, regardless of which drug you are taking, is simply trading one for the other. Please don't take this to mean that replacement therapies and/or treatments are ineffective. Whether they are or not is entirely up to the addict to stick it out and/or highly dependent on that individual's unique physiology. It's the same thing with an addict using to achieve whatever effects they are seeking to achieve: What works for one may not work for the next. Some people require vast quantities to "get high,” others only a little. While some folks do quite well with replacement therapies, some only manage to trade one drug for the next.

If your goal is to get clean, and I sincerely hope that is your goal if you are at a place in your life where that makes sense, then I strongly urge you to go to your primary care physician immediately. This is an incredibly difficult proposition for most people to even consider, much less actually bring themselves down to doctor's office / clinic and tell another person that you have a problem. Sometimes that doctor is someone you may have known your whole life. Other times, usually in the case of more urban areas, you may be seen by a complete strangers, which presents its own set of challenges, namely in that once a doctor or nurse knows you are an addict, they tend not to treat you nearly as well as you would like. As with every addict, every health care professional is different. If you find that you've hired ... yes, Hired, a notion that many doctors seem to have forgotten, sad to say ... someone that isn't treating you in a way that makes you feel care for in any way, then hire another doctor. This doesn't mean "doctor shop" until you find one that is going to give you drugs, because remember, the goal is to get clean. My point is that you have a Right, as a Human Being, to treatment with dignity, respect, and the utmost professionalism in your Health Care. First, you have to be willing to treat yourself with dignity and respect. If you are not willing to do that for yourself, don't expect anyone else to do it, either. This starts with getting real and getting ready. Once you feel you are ready to be open and honest to talk to your doctor, do not wait. I know, I know, it is far easier said than done, but if are posting a question like this on a forum like this, you must have been thinking about it for a good long time. We know, many of us, as we've been there, too. Once you make that first step of being honest with yourself enough to go to the doctor as a second step, then finding the support system to go along with whatever you and your doctor discuss and decide. That is a long way off, and even longer still, if you don't accept the fact that you can't replace one addiction with the next.

Whichever treatment option you end up choosing, you have to be ready to stick with it and go the distance. Expect to stumble along the way. If you don't, that's great! If you make it through you first time, be an inspiration to others and share your story. Helping others goes a long way toward helping yourself.
  4. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Vicodin is not the answer to help you quit and you should honestly get outside help. It is so hard to do this on your own. There are people that will give you the right medication and treatment which will make it much easier for you to do. Don't try to self medicate!
  5. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree with you wholeheartedly about not trying to self medicate, then she could find herself addicted to vicodin, which can be horrible and tedious. Hopefully she is getting the help that she needs.
  6. diecarmona

diecarmona Member

I have tried buprenorphine detox from oxycotin. It didn't work when I did it, and I just eventually fell deeper into the hole and got hooked on heroin. If I can recommend anything, is going cold turkey. The only way to do it for some people, though, is to go to a far away place where you can't get drugs (say a cabin, for example). If you can't do this then I woul say checking into rehab, they'll know better than you.
  7. tasha

Yes absolutely. There is no point in replacing one with another bad one and self medicating is really not helpful at all. You do need to ask professionals for advice as they know what will help you best.
  8. tasha

Going cold turkey depends on how long you have been doing this for. It could be an absolute shock to the system and in this case you will need someone to help you through it as heart failure etc can occur with going cold turkey. In saying that, there are a number of people that have done it that way and have managed to survive the shock and horror with achievement.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting you want to kick it yourself. I have a whole bunch of ideas if you are still around. Give us a post and I'll let you know.
  10. sickntired

sickntired Member

I have been taking pills for about 4 years. Perks n vikes is what i have been taking. I know there is harder stuff out there, but getting off of these is proving to be a hard thing. I have thought about detox but I feel like I'm wasting their time because it's only vikes n perks. Have tried cold turkey. Boy tell you what I get sick. But I hate the control it has over me. I could use some advice.
  11. tasha

Four years is a long time to be taking medication and it will be difficult to do it on your own. The best advice I can give you is to get professional help and either check into rehab or do an outpatient program but the good news is that you are wanting to get off and willing to try. Your body is used to the medication and it will hurt a little getting off of it and the symptoms of withdrawal can have many side effects that would help if you were in a place where others can help you achieve your goal.
  12. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

I think getting advice from a professional is the best thing you can do. Self medicating and trial and error attempts may hurt you more than help you. There is a ton of help out there and you should make best use of it.
  13. snlich

snlich Member

Remember, bupe works sort of as a crutch. You still have to WANT to get sober. That is the most important part. Bupe kind of "fills in the rest", so to speak.

It really helped me with cravings, which was a huge deal. I can stay pretty sober most of the time, but every once and a while...the cravings would become just way, way too much. The bupe helped cover that to an extent.

Nothing is going to be a miracle cure, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
  14. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Have noid

Have no idea about it, but am sure interested in learning about this.