An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

After A Relapse . . .

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Anyone who has managed to beat an addiction albeit for a short time may wrongly believe that the addiction is beaten for life. However anyone can relapse at any time during or after the recovery period. When that happens, you never should let yourself go back to full abuse of the substance.

You fall [it's a human thing to do] and you get up and stumble on [that's what winners do] and having learned what made you FALL take precautions to avoid a similar occurrence in future. Keep your eyes focussed on the goal [being clean] and you'll in the end, win.
    MrsJones likes this.
  2. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

This is true to anyone, addict or not. What's important is the getting up after each fall. Hopefully though, the concept of getting back to one's feet, in the case of addiction, the relapse period, will not be seen as an excuse to do it over and over again. Knowing that recurrence happens and it is all right because you can stop again is also an abusive behavior.
    Knowing it is wrong but doing it again and again is already a matter of addressing something deeper in oneself.

I read addiction is partly due to poor coping skills. So I think when the relapse happens often, something is amidst that should be addressed by seeing a professional. And you're right to say that the circumstances that bring about the relapse should be identified to avoid it.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

The problem here is that with each relapse it becomes more and more difficult for the addict to stay focused on recovery. My advice has always been to replace the addiction with work of some kind. That could be community work or honest employment. In my experience most relapses occur after the addict has been at least 6 months sober and are following responsible alcohol consumption with friends and co-workers.
  4. 003

003 Community Champion

Once your an addict, your an addict forever. When I heard this, I immediately felt against it, because I strongly believe that someone can really change. All that it only takes is strong determination. But the one who said it to me, said that it's because to go away from your addiction, you really have fight it 100% of your will all the time. ALL THE TIME! So if one for a while was able to fight his addiction, it doesn't mean that he could be complacent and that there's no chance at all anymore that he'd get back. Fighting addiction is a lifetime task.