An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Aging Effect

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Nikkishea21, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

My aunt came for a visit and when he saw his brother (my father) she appeared astonished and said how old he looked. He was a bit embarrassed and he should very well be as he is constantly being warned about the impact that smoking can have on him but this only fall on deaf ears.

Do you know of anyone who smokes and as a result looks way older than they actually are as a result of this?
  2. BigSnoop

BigSnoop Member

I know some people who smokes weed a lot and even though they may in their early 20's, if you did not know them you would think that they were in their forties and that situation seems really sad and that they can not recover from all that marijuana they have consume.
  3. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Wtf are you guys serious? I've literally never heard or seen of this before. Seems like bullshit.
  4. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I tend to actually agree with them on this particular situation. There's a guy on Youtube called Marijuanaman which basically shows off in what concerns his marijuana smoking skills. He once even complained about how marijuana made him look older, and showed its viewers early photos of him. The difference between him today and 6-7 years ago is more than noticeable. Though to be completely honest with you, I've never known of marijuana actually causing this issue to people. I knew about those memory loss side effects, but that's pretty much about it.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's the act of smoking which causes this effect, not marijuana itself. Any kind of smoking behavior, be it joints, cigarettes, pipe or shisha can cause premature skin aging. It's basically a combination of the actual smoke hitting the skin combined with the effect it has on your circulation.

So any dope smokers concerned with staying youthful should probably switch to edibles!
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've never seen it myself, but I've heard that smoking too much of anything can make your skin look like a baseball glove, dry an crackly. When I was in school, I remember there was this exchange student from Spain. The guy was our age, but he looked a lot older. He looked like an adult. He was about 17 and already smoked like 2 packs a day. Those Europeans smoke like there's no tomorrow.
  7. mickella18

mickella18 Active Contributor

I do agree with you, Nikkishea21 and I know an individual who smokes religiously and looks way older than he is. Other than the blackened lips, his skin appears sagged and cracked as of he has outgrown his years.

I would like to attribute this to his opiate smoking but still, I cannot be too sure as I am not a doctor. Perhaps it could be stress or depression that has caused the ageing effect but my money is on smoking.
  8. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

This is with cigarettes too, not just weed. The chemicals age your skin, this giving you wrinkles and age spots at a faster rate than normal. I do notice that people who smoke tend to look 5-10 years older than others their age.
  9. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Yes smoking period this means weed or cigs. Does make a person appear older. I notice people that smoke weed, and not cigarettes have a bad cough also. These people are super young I'm talking early 20's.
  10. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

It depends on the person's genetics in my opinion. Every person really isn't built the same way, and each one responds to these kinds of situations differently. whether or not they change the way the smoke because of the aging or continue. They there are those who don't even change, so they don't really see the consequence of smoking. But I have noticed premature wrinkles in a smoker face vs. other people at the same age who don't smoke.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Cigarettes are full of nasty poisons that will affect your overall health. If you've been smoking for years, your skin will start to lose its tone and look sallow and wrinkled after a while, and your teeth will get stained. Often, you can pick smokers immediately by the wrinkles around their mouth, as they tend to pucker their lips when they smoke.
    A while ago I came across a study about twins, where one was a smoker and the other wasn't. The difference in appearance was quite remarkable.
  12. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I have known potheads since I was 16. And not once, ever, have I seen one of them age maturely. I don't care how much they smoked. Cigarettes will age you.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think there is some truth to the matter. We are what we eat and consume. You eat a lot of bad foods your body will suffer from it. If you inhale smoke you will get the residual aging effects. It just makes complete sense. You are what you consume. You might not turn into a ball of smoke, but you will dry out in my opinion.
  14. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Smoking will definitely cause you to age faster. It is just that cigarettes are full of disgusting chemicals that negatively impact your health. Without cigarettes, your body will look much better and younger. Smoking should be frowned upon because of how much it can negatively affect a human body. Not many teenagers realize what they are doing to themselves when they smoke. If they saw the impact that it has on their bodies, they would most likely stop.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know someone who looks around late twenties to thirties, but is actually in his 50's which is amazing and the health of the skin looks good, and although he smokes weed, he does not suffer from any side effects at the moment. It is possible the drugs may have different effects on different people, so it may not happen now, but in later years they may have bad side effects and also have breathing problems and other issues occur to them. I reckon that some people do not age in the proper way as the drugs affect the chemicals, in the brain, which may either cause them to age fast or slower than usual.
  16. LilAnn

It made me age overnight. I looked 20 years older, and it came out of nowhere.
  17. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

I have never heard or seen this occurring tbh. I am actually interested now and will do some more research on this.
  18. LilAnn

When I was 16 and started smoking I didn't see any immediate repercussions. I assumed all those horrible things happened people who weren't me. 22 years later, and I'm starting to realize this was a really bad choice.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Pretty much all folks that drink and smoke seem to age a lot faster. I'm fortunate that I stopped using drugs in my mid-20's and was never partial to drinking and smoking. Therefore I look a lot younger than my real age. But many friends of mine who enjoy drinking and smoking, do indeed look way older than me. In some cases, they look almost 10-15 years older which just goes to show the damage these substances do to one's physical appearance.
  20. juno

juno Community Champion

I believe the smoke is harmful to your skin and can age you much faster. It doesn't matter whether it is nicotine or marijuana, you can always tell a smokers skin.
    karmaskeeper likes this.