An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and anger ruined my life

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by XiaoDre, Oct 31, 2014.

1. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I started drinking when I was 19 years old. I basically wanted to do it because everyone else was doing it. It wasn't that I wanted to be popular or anything, I just wanted to see what it was like to drink. I used to go to lots of parties and get drunk because I was starting to get addicted to alcohol. I thought it was cool to be wild and crazy until I started to constantly experience bad things in my life. When that happened, I no longer wanted to drink and have fun. I now wanted to drink as an escape from struggles. When you are young and naive, you don't realize that drinking does not make the problem go away. The problem would still be there once you are sober again. Every time I would drink, I would think about all of the problems going on in my life and begin to lash out at everyone. My drinking and anger caused problems with my family and friends. I had to give out a lot of apologies for my actions because I could not control myself when I got drunk. I would blackout and don't remember anything that happened the day or night before. I prayed a lot that I would change my behavior. It took some time but I am proud of who I am today. I still drink but now I am very careful and I do not let anger get the best of me when I drink. I also do not drink as much as I used to. I have goals in life and I will not continue to let anger and alcohol ruin my life.
  2. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing your story, XiaoDre.

I think alcohol is one of the most serious addictions. First, it's legal, so you can pretty much get drunk anywhere. Second, the way it alters your perceptions will make you do things that you wouldn't normally do being sober. And third, and the most dangerous one, is when you start doing things that you normally would do being sober, thinking that you can also do them when drunk. Like driving. I don't know how many people die every year on vehicle accidents related to alcohol, but I'm sad to say that I've known a few.

Congratulations on overcoming your addiction.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  3. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Kudos to you XiaoDre for reducing your alcohol intake!

It is really that realization then decision to make a positive change in your life. After all, it is your future, your health that will be ruined. So the effort to change should really come from you.

Always keep your goals in mind and think of the bad consequences that alcohol brought you to keep you in the right track. My brother in law used to be a meth addict until he was given another chance at a job he really loves. Until now, he is clean to maintain that job. So that's one way to carry on with your endeavor.

Good luck to you!
  4. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Wow. First of all, I want to say I am proud of you for keeping your faith. God was really testing you and from the sounds of it, you passed! I know you probably do not view it that way but you really did! My ex used to do the exact same thing you would do. He ran away from his problems and they just would be so much worse. He is still an alcoholic to this day. I am proud of you for realizing the problem. It sucks to say sorry to thinks you do not even remember but it sounds like everyone was still supportive of you. Good for you for staying strong! Remember, it is one day at a time. You have got this!
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice story and you should really be proud of yourself.
    Praying is like having hope that good things will really happen. It is also a great thing that we do have goals in life and that we give importance to our family and friends.
  6. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Congratulations for taking control of your life once again! This is the way everyone should go, control their addiction not their addictions controlling them. It's ok to have a drink once in a while as long as you want that, not need that. We're all gonna make it bro!
  7. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your progress, XiaoDre. I guess we've all gone through the same phase but what's important is that we are striving for a better life, to a better person. You are strong and your life is important. I hope everything goes well and better for you.
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

9. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Member

Thanks for sharing your story. I also had an issue with alcohol at a young age. I started drinking at sixteen because my peers were doing it. I picked it up as a habit when I went off to college. I had to stop because I actually got into two physical altercations while intoxicated. We learn from our mistakes and grow.
  10. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

Congrats on turning your life around. Some people are able to change their ways and rebuild there lives. Perhaps you are not an addict, just someone who lost his way for a while. I know for myself that when I drink, I don’t hurt people, just myself mainly. Sure my family gets upset but I don’t abuse them; I ignore them. It's this knowledge, that when I take one drink I have to drink more, that proves to me that I'm an addict.

For me its not will power. It's a physical craving and a mental obsession which rules over all else. As a result, one drink is too many and a thousand is never enough. Complete abstinence and learning how to be happy sober is the key for me. At the moment I am happy being sober, because it’s great to be sober and live, rather than just exist.
  11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Very honest, I like that you have given up alcohol a little, what I will tell you now I hope will make you give it up all together, google search the word Cirrhosis, and read what causes it and what can happen to someone that befalls it. You are sensible, ambitious and a good person, don't allow alcohol to ruin you and make you poor.
  12. XiaoDre

Thank you for responding to me Juan. I must admit that it was hard and I thought I would never change. It took some time but eventually I was able to overcome my addition. There are still things happening in my life that makes me want to revert back to my old behavior but I have to remember how far I have come. Even though I still drink, I do not let anger get the best of me because I have matured. Experiencing blackouts and not remembering anything while intoxicated is not something I want to do forever. I have God to thank for this positive turnaround.
  13. XiaoDre

Thank you for responding to me Expert Advice. I feel as though honesty is the key to moving forward from the past. The reason I only gave up alcohol a little is because I actually love to drink. I am much more of a social drinker because I really am not a people person and it helps my social skills. It is a psychological thing that I have to overcome and I am a work in progress. I also drink when I am alone just not as much as I used to. I am aware of the consequences of drinking such as Cirrhosis of the liver. Everything we do in life we are basically taking a chance because every action has a consequence. I am just having fun and living my life while I am young because I am only 29 years old. Don't worry I will not let alcohol ruin my life anymore because I have goals that I want to achieve. Alcohol is something I could do without if I really had to.
  14. George T.

George T. Member

If you have anger issues, mixing it with alcohol is a big NO! Being an alcoholic is bad enough. Being an angry drunk is asking to end up in jail. This is coming from first hand experience.

I know you have cut back on alcohol, and congrats for that, but you may want to consider eliminating it completely?
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Alcohol and anger. Isn't it interesting how one leads to the other. Well at least you realize that, good for you. Some people will sit there at point their finger at someone else meanwhile their behavior is clearly destructive when fueled by alcohol. Its either during or the day after that the anger occurs. I'm always saying that alcohol just amplifies personality. But for some reason alcohol just seems to fuel anger and irritation the next day or the day after. I noticed that with a boyfriend I had. He like to drink and smoke pot. It was like without fail that the next day he would get easily irritated. While he was drinking or in general though his personality was easy going and light. Not sure how some people don't make that connection and do something about it. I would at least tread lightly when he was this way. It was easy to do with him because he was respectful and considerate of me if needed.
  16. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks for sharing. You story sounds similar to my husband's when he drinks. It starts out fun and then he gets dwelling on his past and his problems and he gets angry and out of control. I can't even count the amount of times that has happened or how many places we have never been invited back to because of his behavior. Many friendships have been ruined. It is sad. Glad to here you seem to be doing better with your drinking.
  17. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Congratulations on conquering your problems with anger and alcohol Xiandre. That is a great accomplishment. It is one of the many options that are available in life, and they are not necessarily good ones. I am glad you achieved and came out the other end.. Good for you!~
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Glad to read you are doing so well :) Congratulations, some people can go on for decades drinking a lot and only stop until something really bad happens and they almost end up getting killed (my bio dad did). I'm glad you didn't have to wait so long to finally do something about it and change your ways, so happy for you :)
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I hope you're doing well one year later, I know how hard it is to not be in control anymore. We're all gonna be okay in the end, because we're concious of our problems and working hard towards fixing them. Stay strong, brother!
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

I'm sorry to say that the worst kind of drunk, is an angry drunk, in my opinion. I've got a friend who's the most peaceful guy I know. He's kind of shy when he's sober, and doesn't talk much. But once he gets drunk, he gets mean as hell. It's like he's a totally different person. I guess he gets all his repressed anger out when he drinks. We're still friends, but I don't drink with the guy anymore. When you're a happy drunk, people are glad to help you if you fall down, or need to get home. With an angry drunk it's a whole different story. Nobody wants to help an abusive person, even if that person is drunk.