An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and anger ruined my life

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by XiaoDre, Oct 31, 2014.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @XiaoDre! Thank you for sharing your success story to us here. I am glad to know that you're not dependent on alcohol anymore. Keep being an inspiration to a lot of struggling/recovering addicts out there. Wishing you all the best in life. :)
  2. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Anger and alcohol are not good companions. Many people ruin their life by getting a criminal conviction after fighting while drunk. This is often a problem with the young, who have not developed the same levels of self-control that mature adults have. You just need to go to a busy bar or club late in the evening to see the effects of this first hand.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Your story is very interesting, thank you for sharing! Sometimes in life we get overwhelmed by emotions and lose control over our actions and rational thinking. This makes it harder to recover later, but it is a very good thing that you realized your goals are more important Never let an addiction ruin your plans and personality. Congratulations!
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Many times anger lead people to drink in excess as a way to cope with intolerance, that is often the root of anger.

However sometimes is drinking in excess what eventually produces anger whether for not being able to stop timely, for not being able to keep drinking or anything else that links dangerously anger and alcohol.

The worst part is that being alcoholism potentially more risky than anger, is anger what needs to be tackled first to make a progress toward fighting drinking addiction.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon your journey has been a hard one and it can be easy to use alcohol to escape problems we have in life as it can be easy but when the effects wear off then we can be stressed out, and feel alone as the mind may struggle with alcohol and trying to stop it which can be a hard job and takes a lot of work to break free from addiction. I know some people who had to struggle and would use alcohol to escape problems, and get anger and use it to keep people away from them and scare people as they thought they had power and can do anything they want. It is good to see you changed yourself and keep doing the hard work and take small steps each day and do other things or try a new hobby as this will keep your mind focused on something else and also busy in the process.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear alcohol addiction has struck you, but I must also give you my sincere congratulations that you realized alcohol was a problem and that you are now taking the necessary steps through your recovery. Alcohol addiction is one of the most serious addictions out there. I know I was once; that's why I'm here. Looking forward to seeing more advancements!
  7. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

It makes me happy that at the end you figured it out and now you can control yourself.
    I can relate to you. In the past, I went out a lot, and I had drunk a great deal of beer, and wine, and something called 'rakija', a very strong local alcoholic drink, that I did not like up to some point when I did not just start liking, it, but it somehow became my favourite drink. I would drink that before I went out, and mix it later with beer. Terrible mixture. I would get headaches, blackouts, curling on the dancing floor, and making fool of myself. No one likes drunkards, especially girls, people laugh at you. After a few of such instances, I made a decision that I kept to today. I don't drink rakija, and I have one or two glasses of beer only for holidays, during lunch with my family and I am proud of myself. My boyfriend has never tasted alcohol in his entire life. He is 31 years old now. Also, I have another friend who is a little bit over 45 years old. He also has not tasted any alcohol in his entire life. And they are my greatest motivation.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The OP us a similar story to most people's that struggle with alcoholism including myself. What starts out as drinking for fun, can quickly turn into drinking to forget, and if you don't realise that at an wary age, the problem can only increase as you get older.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

The reasons are different and the outcome as well. It is all life and we are just here to play the role. I was never angry, I drank because I was a romantic soul. It is inexplicable thing and quite out of any possible logic, at least for me. Love is killing me slowly and I learned to play along and wait until it stops if it stops. Hope I will find my happiness this year, I have been sad for too long I think.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Congratulations and thanks for telling your story. You were able to learn from an experience and use it to your advantage. Sometimes you have to let a person go through their mistakes when talking to them until you are blue in the face doesn't work. I hope more young people read this and then reflect for themselves.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm glad to know that your story has a happy ending, it's nice to know that prayers and self control and discipline worked for you. Keep up the good work!
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I would say especially if the person is drunk because you can't reason with theim. They are just the types of things that most people have a problem with. No one, but no one wants to be around an angry and abusive drunk. They are not fun people to be around.