An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and blackouts

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by tasha, Feb 21, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

For many alcoholics black outs are a part of the day because you drink so much the brain is effected and a lot of the time we do not understand what we have done or said which can lead to many unhappy moments for our friends and family.
    There is no cure for a blackout except to stop drinking and start rejuvenating your brain cells.
    Apologies don't really help if you keep on doing it so stop, think about what you have done and get yourself some real help.
    L_B likes this.
  2. Krato

Krato Member

Great advice @tasha. The problem is also that a lot of alcoholics actually deny that they are indeed addicted to alcohol. The sad part is that in my experience they do not realize the damage done not only to themselves, but to their family and the financial loss they inevitably suffer from buying so much booze. But you know what, it can be done and I know it can because I did it and I've never felt better.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

First step to beating an addiction is admitting you have a problem. As many people would rather live in denial and won't even admit they did something wrong when they were drunk it can be help to convince them to stop using alcohol. Persistence [trying to convince an alcoholic to stop using alcohol over and over and over] without being overly aggressive I believe could get this person to think about changing — progress that could end in sobriety.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

My ex was an addict, but one of those rare individuals who kind of "caught himself" before it went too far. He drank to the point of black out when he was in college..and it really scared him. He decided he really couldn't drink and would rarely even have a beer after that. He knew for himself, that drinking was something he really couldn't handle, and sometimes alcoholics do develop an awareness that what they are doing is detrimental both to themselves and to others.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Some will want to take more alcohol to forget what they had done on the previous day. Others may never want to be told about what had happened or about what they did and said. Alcohol can make one to become abusive. Others end up fighting with the friends whom they were drinking with. If you ask them later they can completely deny to have done anything.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My husband seems to black out every time he drinks but then again he always drinks to excessively. Sometimes I wonder if he really blacks out or if he uses it as an excuse for his behaviour. The next day he is all happy like nothing happened but then when you remind him he says he doesn't remember but he never does anything to prevent it from happening again. Apologies don't mean anything if you don't make an effort to change the behaviour.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It used to happen to me a lot. Literally would go out drinking and forget entire chunks of time, forget how I got home, all manner of things. I had occasions where I was honestly pretty frightened at how/why I was where I was, and in part it was those times that made me wake up to how serious my problem with alcohol was.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

If quitting was only that easy then alcoholics would have no problem at all when they already want to quit. But unfortunately quitting is quite hard, so most alcoholics still remain in their addicted and drunken state without even wanting to get help. They should really admit that they have a problem first so that their lives would improve.
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

@tasha That was some really good advice. I have friends who are occasional drinkers and one particular one literally blacks out after half a bottle. He has been advised to quit but he wants to prove to the others he can handle it which he never does. It is so pathetic.
  10. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

It is really sad to think about all of the devastating effects that alcohol has on your body that really go under-emphasized due to how common they are. It is just more accepted than I feel it should be. I remember in college there were the kids who would openly state that they were out to blackout that night, and that was always a little off putting to me.
  11. fergilicious

fergilicious Member

It will be very nice if all alcoholics can admit that they are addicts. That way, they will be able to accept help and not feel embarrassed about their weakness in the society.
    One of my uncles is also an addict, he keeps drinking and drinking. I feel bad for him because he just can't stop. He has also refused to admit that he can't do without drinking.
  12. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I agree with you. Apologies means nothing if you keep offering them all the time. It becomes cheap and meaningless.
    Alcohol, like other drugs should be made illegal and inaccessible to the public.
  13. tasha

That is fantastic and congratulations!!! It can be done and it is not easy but life is a lot different from a sober side.
    Krato likes this.
  14. tasha

you need people that love you to help you realise that there is a problem and being drunk all the time makes it hard to see what you are doing to others and yourself. Persistence is good but it has to come from everyone because one person just isn't enough to make you see that you have a problem and we do tend to blame others
  15. tasha

Lucky for him because many people know that it is not good to have these blackouts and tend to continue on drinking even though they don't remember what day it is or what has happened
  16. tasha

Alcoholics don't realise that they are going to drink to the point of blacking out but it does happen and you can also be so out of it that you have lost a few days which makes everything seem so much worse and then we drink again because it is worse
  17. tasha

Blackouts are not deliberate it is just that the alcohol levels are not doing what they should be anymore and drinking to the point of blackout is due to the extreme amounts of alcohol in the system. Apologies do mean nothing if you cant change the behaviour but a problem must be faced head on and you should get him to go to rehab.
  18. tasha

everyone is a big deal until the day the blackouts are a regular occurance and you have lost out on family time.
  19. tasha

it is a sad way to be but it happens and the only way to stop this from happening, to stop abusive behaviour, lost days or crying kids you need to get your spouse or whoever it is some help. do it before they are too far gone.
  20. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, I've noticed that many alcoholics tend to blackout on a regular basis. It's a very disconcerting experience for those surrounding the alcoholic. One doesn't know if the individual has passed out or passed on, when they first blackout. This is a shocking experience as some folks will immediately run to call an ambulance, without having a grasp of the alcoholic's true condition.