An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and chronic pain

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by remnant, Mar 23, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Some patients suffering from various terminal illnesses like cancer and HIV/AIDS abuse alcohol in a bid to alleviate it. Research has shown that alcohol being a depressant numbs the senses reducing the deleterious effects of the pain. The problem arises when the patient needs to take more to achieve the same effects. In the process, the patient becomes addicted.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I think that is just an excuse to be addicted to alcohol. There are herbs that help ease pain especially for cancer patients and others going through one form of pain or the other.

It would be a shame to be addicted to alcohol with all the pain going on in the life of the patient because it could only worsen the body system.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

While alcohol can to some extent reduce pain won't taking alcohol cause even more problems for the person taking it for pain relief? I think instead of using alcohol which most obviously will cause them more problems they should use pain relief drugs or as darkrebelchild suggests, herbs for pain relief.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Unfortunately, many people cannot afford appropriate health care for chronic conditions... some of those people have resorted to cheap alcohol to relieve their pain and even street drugs.

Actually, even some people who do have health insurance are turning to these drastic measures after being "cut-off" by their physicians, due to the strict narcotics regulations.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think people just want to feel well and will try anything to get to that point. The fact that alcohol numbs, creates an illusion that it helps but it just makes things worse. If there was better information people would find healthier alternatives to their illnesses.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

At some point, yes it may alleviate pain but it doesn't really count as a cure. A lot of people turn to alcohol to numb whatever it is that they're feeling, either physical pain or emotional pain. It's a quick fix which doesn't really solve the problem at hand.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that alcohol can be alright in a small amount but not in a big amount as that can do more harm than good as the body may find it hard to taking it in the body and also would need to see what you drink as some alcoholic drinks can have a bad effect on the body which would not be a good thing. It can be good to try alcohol if you don't have the money for the correct medicine or health care is not available in the country you are from and in New Zealand, the health system is good and we get discounts on medication which is a good thing and save money as well. I think that with chronic pain it can be different and also some people react differently and need to see if the alcohol makes you addicted or you can just try a little each day or when you need it.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well... when you are a terminal patient what difference does it make to be an alcoholic...? Specially if you only have a few weeks left? None in my opinion. Live and let others live, those dealing with their own mortality, specially if they are young have the right to do whatever help them cope with it.... if that's it, then good for them. I'm talking about terminal people close to dying, by the way.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I self-medicated myself with alcohol when I was much younger. I had chronic back pain. The alcohol alleviated the pain for a few hours at a time and made me forget my body, and all my problems. But the reality was also that it kept me from thinking clearly. I only found a solution and appropriate treatment for my back injuries when I stopped drinking and began to see clearly what kind of help I needed.
    I believe that you have a much better chance to manage and even recover from a serious illness without the added burden that alcohol puts on your body and mind.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You should never combat an addiction with another addiction, since the effects are counter-productive. Instead, the patient should seek the help of a trusted doctor to combat HIV/AIDS. I know there have been medical advances already in that area.
  11. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

This is correct. The nerves get numb in the process and it gets kind of chronic and it helps in that way but it ruins the liver and other very important organs for each one of us. It is well known that in poor parts of some countries like India, Pakistan and similar you can get your teeth out on a street with some hard and strong liquor as anaesthesia.
  12. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

There is a saying: "a drowning man catches a straw." When some people are in excruciating pain, as what is a feature of many chronic illnesses, they will grasp the first semblance of a relief. At this stage, there is usually no consideration of the after effect of the relief substance, all they want is some ease from the suffering.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

My sisters mother in law had chronic spinal arthritis pain and was constantly trying to get relief. I think she died of a liver problem because she had developed an alcohol dependency. YOu are right that people in chronic pain will try anything to get relief. My mother has spinal stenosis problems too, however, she doesn't even want to try a chiropracter. She just wants to stick with conventional medical therapy. I hope she doesn't become addicted in an attempt to seek relief.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In my experience and observation, alcohol does not alleviate your pain, what alcohol does is makes you body and mind dull and make you sleep. When you sleep, you will forget about your physical pain. It looks like alcohol is alleviating pain, but it is just make your forget pain for sometime.
  15. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Alcohol is never a good choice. Also, that is a really stupid reason to take it. Alcohol doesn't numb anything that you are feeling. It tricks the mind and will make you take more pain that you would have normally taken without doing something.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Alcohol can be used to numb pain but just like pain killers it can be addictive. Anything you use to get rid of constant pain you will be addicted to. It's like a crutch without it you won't be able to cope. I think there could be other ways to deal with pain that involve plants and herbs. This is why doing research on these things are important.
  17. Dilof

Dilof Member

All things that make you feel good, whether it be pain relieving, stress relieving or depression-related things, will be addictive. Look at comfort eaters, they eat so much because they may be upset or anxious about things, and a natural feel-good hormone is released when you eat, making eating enjoyable and therefore addicting.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think it's a bad idea to use alcohol to alleviate pain. There are far better alternatives out there. If one doesn't want to use pharmaceuticals they can always opt for natural alternatives. We are fortunate to live at a time where there have been tremendous advances in treatments of all kinds.
  19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Living in pain, especially if it is a terminal illness ca b be very hard to deal with. I was just watching the news about a 6 yr old girl with cancer wishing to be a cop and once the cops in the district heard about her they gave her her own uniform and badge for being brave about the illness. Then you have those that wish to self medicate which might not be healthy to begin with. When it comes to terminally ill, whatever they do I hope they are at peace with their decisions.