An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and Cigarettes

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Helpme1986, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Helpme1986

Helpme1986 Member

I started drinking wine about 15 years ago to blunt the pain of a breakup. I added cigarettes and now I cannot get rid of them.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I had the same problem (with a few others.)
    I think booze and cigs are the most abused substances.
    It can take some work to shake them but it can be done and it's worth it!
    Take a look around the forum you will find lots of great success stories here.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello there! Please don't preempt something you can actually control. By saying you "cannot get rid" of wines and cigarettes, you already delimited yourself. If you stop thinking these negative thoughts, I know without a doubt that you can do so much more. Please believe in yourself and in your ability to be more than just a wine drinker and cigarette smoker. Remember that you're not the only one in pain and that there will always be people willing to help you out of your predicament.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will be helpful if you will start thinking the other way, that you can stop or manage it. Do not lose hope, although easier said than done, it is doable. A lot have been there and able to quit and so, you can also do that. Have a nice day. :)
  5. NanouHammie

NanouHammie Member

I had a problem with drinking and cigarettes when I was in my 20's. I was to the point where I would be at work drunk. Eventually I had to get help because nobody seemed to care and I was getting very sick. I ended up on meds but they didn't do anything more than make me into a zombie. I eventually found marijuana. Thanks to Marijuana, I won't turn to alcohol and I have quit smoking cigarettes. It level me out and helps with my depression a lot. Marijuana isn't a drug to me, it is a healthy medicine.
  6. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

Is there a particular reason you want to overcome your addiction? Sometimes, an outside influence can be enough to help us move on. God Bless!
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @Helpme1986! I was in the same boat as you when I was your age. I had a broken heart and a broken soul at that time due to heartache and a family problem I couldn't bear so I resorted to cigarettes and alcohol. Every time I drink I would release all the pain I felt inside and with each puff of smoke I breathed out I felt as though my frustrations were being released with it. That's how I was until I graduated from college and became busy with my career. I found a reason to slow down with my vices. When I finally met my husband and we had a child, I finally stopped drinking and smoking. My point here my friend is that one day you will also come into terms with yourself. You may feel the need for alcohol and cigarettes right now but someday you will eventually find your inspiration to stop. And when you do, you will also be able to share your story with people who need something to inspire them. Don't give up in trying to change. You'll get there someday. :)
  8. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Of course you can, but you'll need a lot of will and positive thinking. Find a hobby, try to change your mind from wines and cigarretes to something else.
  9. david72

david72 Member

I think most people start the bad habit of smoking when they are encouraged by a friend. A really good friend would not lead somebody into a lifetime of ill health. However, I would say that anybody can quit smoking if they can simply find a little willpower. I personally never did find that willpower and have paid for it by enduring a number of heart attacks. My message to people who smoke is to stop thinking that you cannot quit a bad, expensive and medically harmful habit. The consumption of alcohol will not make you fat and it is OK in moderation.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Bad habits are unfortunately hard to break from. However, you can stop your alcohol and cigarette addiction if you commit yourself to doing so. I understand that alcohol helps to numb the pain from negative experiences, this is however not helping you in the long term. Stick around these forums, learn and share from the folks here and gradually I hope you find it in you to start on the road to recovery.