An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and College

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Megalinoxo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Megalinoxo

Megalinoxo Member

Recently, "binge drinking" has become a very prominent problem on college campuses. Underage drinking in large, excessive amounts has become the norm. My past 4 years of college, I regularly saw students blacking out every weekend for almost the entire semester.

Some problems I see with this include:
    Women trying to "keep up" with men and drinking in large amounts that they normally wouldn't
    The increased amount of sexual assault due to alcohol
    It isn't healthy for a young persons growing body
    Lack of knowledge about when "drinking because I am a college student" crosses over to alcoholism

What problems do you see? Do you think administration at college campuses are doing enough to stop these problems? How do you think some of these things should be addressed?
  2. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I observe a lot of binge drinking in college too. I'm not really interested in excess drinking myself. I definitely see many others drink until they black out and can hardly walk. In college the idea of "partying" is so important that many over do it, I think.

I don't know what schools can do to take further precautions. My school has a pretty good lock down on alcohol and policies regarding it. Most big parties are off campus. My school has informational mandatory meetings warning students about abusing alcohol but at the end of the day it seems everyone does what they want.
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's disheartening that more and more young people are thinking that drinking will make them "cool." What they don't know is that if you're already an alcoholic, even if you already want to stop because it's starting to take over your life, it would be really hard for you to do so. I hope that this message is being communicated to students through seminars and meetings.
  4. Allen24

Drinking is like smoking. College kids away from their parents just want to experiment. Things will always be cool that they can't get ahold of under 18 and are fantasized in media. The most you can do is warn them and tell them about the harmful effects. Hopefully they'll make the right decisions, even after a few mistakes.
  5. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I think that drinking in excess leads to alcoholism (especially if we have such a history in the family), there is no way around that. So in college we should pick our friends and avoid situation that can lead to being an alcoholic.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I usually get the rough side when I try to pick friends. Its very hard to find friends who are genuinely interested in establishing a connection with me. I do not drink even if I were offered the opportunity to do so I would not do it. Drinking to me has so many consequences and it makes you not feel like yourself.
  7. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is a fact, some are just social drinkers, but many drink to get drunk and that brings out the worse in us. The origin of the word alcohol is algol if I am not mistaken and means demon...
  8. Profit5500

Oh boy I believe the reality of seeing a demon to say the least. I do not go around and take shots its just not healthy. If I were to drink an alcoholic beverage I would not feel any better than the people who abuse it.
  9. Allen24

I feel like many students over drink in college because they feel pressured to and that it's expected of them. The college schedule also allows for drinking...you can party several nights a week without huge repercussions. It's not like having a 9-5 job and other responsibilities. Even if you have early classes it's easy to skip them or sit through them with a hangover. I wonder what incentives could make students party less.
  10. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

The ready availability of alcohol in college coupled with the freedom to drink almost at will is what starts the cycle. You have plenty of well adjusted folks who drop it like a hammer as soon as it's no longer viable, but then you have the few who started to depend on alcohol as part of their coping mechanism. The predisposed, depressed, et cetera.

Alcohol isn't evil, really. It's just that people like me don't have the self control to moderate their drinking without being either a teetotaler or a drunkard.
  11. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I agree that alcohol isn't evil, but people are and when we are consumed by the addiction we will do anything to satisfy that addiction, so that can break several laws and social norms.
  12. Profit5500

I think that is what it is as far as the issue. I cannot go around and drink with other people like how my brother does with his friends sometimes. I do not feel like using drinks to put more pressure on myself while going to school.
  13. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

It's not really that simple. I go with the school of thought that all people are inherently good - it's their upbringing and attitude towards life that changes how they approach the world. I was an absolutely terrible drunk, and I've never broken a major law under the influence, unless you include underage drinking. Social norms, on the other hand, are fair game if you're sober. People break those for fun, and sometimes they need broken.

It's impossible to judge how a person will react on alcohol. It's a magical potion that brings out your innermost (and locked away) thoughts and feelings, and reduces your cognitive function to the point where you don't feel the need to control yourself the way you do sober. For some people, this might be a good thing.

I feel a majority of drunks are drinking as a coping mechanism to hide something from themselves. They're not bad people, for the most part. And some of them do some terrible things, but it's wrong to judge them.
  14. Gelsemium

There are two points there for me. One, alcohol can cause addiction and mess up all your life. Two, alcohol can make you act like an evil person and there education can be involved sure, but also our repressed nature...
  15. jack21

jack21 Member

It is very common and considered normal for students to binge drink on weekends even though this may have a lot of negative results. I think it is less worrying when such a habit is kept for weekends or occasions. I believe that the serious problems start to kick in when drinking becomes a habit at home, for no occasion whatsoever or when seen as a way to relieve stress or 'forget' problems.
  16. Gelsemium

It's normal in college to drink too much and I guess that is no big deal if it happens once in a while, but if it starts happening on a daily basis that might lead to addiction.
  17. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

I attended a college that was a dry campus. That meant, no one could have alcohol on campus. If you got caught, you got kicked out. Well that is at least what they try to scare you with. In reality, you get a fine and have to take some classes online. As much as I want to say that they are not doing enough, they are. Once Sophomore year hits, those people who partied all the time were not there. Junior year, the same thing but the people who were not there that year were the ones who would randomly go to parties every other weekend. I think that colleges try to promote that students should not drink but they just can not deny someone because they drink nor can they even ask that question. It is just obvious as the years go on who is serious and who is not. That is why I think students who are worried about the drinking scene should find a dry campus so they have a goal to focus on. Yes presuring is going to happen, but if students find the right crowd they will be able to say no with people supporting them.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  18. Gelsemium

I never heard of a dry campus before, I think it's a good idea, especially for parents who know that their kids might get into trouble.
    jackslivi likes this.
  19. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Alcohol use among teens is at its most highest in college. This is mainly because of the increased social gatherings that take place. Teens have developed this attitude that a party is only cool when there is alcohol available. This has seen a rising number of sexual harrassment cases, violence and other issues among college students.

I honestly don't think college administartors are doing enough to handle this issue. More strict measures should be taken to control the use of alcohol among students. This is a major challenge that needs extensive efforts to curb a looming addiction problem in early life among young people.
  20. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I would say by stiffening the rules and maitaining the rules at all times