An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and College

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Megalinoxo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. cc1001

cc1001 Member

I became a heavy drinker in college. The reason I believe this happened to me is because I was free away from my strict parents. I thought it gave me confidence. I also had peer pressure and wanted to look cool. I was on the road to becoming an alcoholic and decided around my senior year to stop. I saw how alcohol had destroyed other members of my family and I didn't want that for myself. When I was in college I believe the administration could have done a better job at addressing this issue because they know what goes on college campuses.
  2. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

I think the main issue is that drinking has become such an integrated part of the college experience. If you don't drink in college you're part of the minority...so I think that creates even more pressure to drink. When you're constantly in an environment that is pressuring you, you need a support base or you're going to slip into an addiction a lot of the time. I like the way those dry campuses sound but I've never even heard of one!
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I think it's normal that students drink, like you say mimsee, it's a part of the experience, the problem is when the occasional drinking turns into daily, that's called addiction.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think campus administration can really stop the behavior, nor do I think it's their responsibility. They are meant to be educators, not parents, and the parents of these kids should have been responsible enough to raise their kids correctly enough not to feel the need to give into alcoholism and peer pressure.
  5. Gelsemium

That's what happens with most campus and I agree, they are not responsible, that is why that the dry campus option is good, for the more extreme cases.
  6. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

Binge drinking and college go hand in hand, unfortunately. A lot of us embrace it, handle it and come out the other side ok. But that's not always the case. Some do have problems but others often don't see it the same way.

It's kind of annoying when people laugh at alcohol education efforts on campuses. Yes, many people will ignore it and just get on with partying. But unless the subject is out there to be discussed, people won't ever consider it an issue. Maybe they won't take it on board at the time, but when the time is right hopefully they'll hear the message.
  7. Gelsemium

There are people in college that have as aim just to have fun, they don't care about studying and they have the worst influence on others that are just arriving.
  8. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Clearly administrations at college campuses aren't doing enough in order to stop this drinking phenomenon. There should be taken measures, like kicking out of the college anyone who is caught drinking in the week time.
  9. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I have also noticed that there is a lot of binge drinking on college campuses. I think it is normal for people to drink while in college but I do not think they should over do it. When young adults leave home and go off to college, they have to be responsible because they are no longer under the supervision of their parents. This allows them to have easy access to alcohol at parties and some even sneak alcohol into the dorms. I do not see anything wrong with drinking while in college but binge drinking could be dangerous. It could lead to situations such as rape, violence, or being hospitalized for alcohol poisoning. College students should drink responsibly or not drink at all.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think there are already policies done here or on various cities that directing those bars not to accept students or those who wear uniforms. Also no alcohol selling on areas near to campuses but I think that was not being strictly followed and implemented.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

When I first started college drinking was part of the college lifestyle. To be out of the house and on your own meant that you could do all the things your parents tried to shelter you from. Alcohol numbed me and made college life fun, that's until you get your grades back.
  12. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I would say that might be right, but not when it comes to liability. If it's happening on grounds, with staff, under supervision, and things of that nature, anything that could potentially reflect poorly on the institution, and/or its insurance or reputation, then it's probably their responsibility. Or at least, it could be in court.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think the school can strictly implement no alcoholic drinks in the campus on any occasion. In terms of around the campus, I think the local government or the community has the power to implement rules or ordinances than no alcoholic beverages around.
    Nick W. likes this.
  14. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

It is always dishearten to hear that the youth thinking of alcoholism is nice to them. They are still too young to understand the potential hazards of alcohol. I believe the college campuses administration should have more strict rules regarding alcohol drinking within campuses. Moreover, their parents should educate their children to have self-control when drinking alcohol.
  15. coeck

coeck Member

It's true that in college there is a lot of "binge drinking" going on. But in my opinion most of the people in college are educated individuals who need to know their limit. I think it's alright for young people to go on a night of binge drinking, but when it becomes a habit it's a different story. The stress and pressure of succeeding at college is one of the reasons of binge drinking and heavy partying after tests in my opinion.
  16. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Member

I, too, started drinking when I was in college. I'm not really sure if it was because drinking is part of the "college lifestyle." I always thought that it was due to the liberty one usually gets upon entering college, that is, being away from parents, or parents no longer being as strict as they did when one was younger. It also has a lot to do with your circle of friends. I know a lot of people when I was in college who never drank.
  17. Gelsemium

This is a tough one really GenevB, is it the purpose of the colleges to make people stop drinking or to teach them? Clearly is the 2nd, what doesn't mean they shouldn't get involved in the 1st as well.
  18. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

Personally for me alcohol was not an issue in college it was more in your high school years. It seemed to me that when I reached 10th grade almost everybody in my school was drinking on weekends are some other party with alcohol. This made it very difficult to set myself apart, there are times that I was looked at as an outsider because I would not join with some of my friends. But now I can honestly say that I'm proud that I did not give an no matter how much pressure was put on me. When I reach college drinking was still a big part in the social parties, but it was not anywhere near the harsher conditions in high school.
  19. Gelsemium

I was not a huge drinker as well, I mean, I liked to get drunk, so I just drank at the weekends to avoid habituation. Either cases, that certainly determined the kind of people I hang out with.