An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and Insanity

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Mayoress, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

So I read online that alcohol can cause insanity. It is said to produce some kind of psychosis that could cause a permanent damage to the brain. I mean a permanent irreversible damage. Can someone tell me why this substance is still legal?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

There are many substances out there damaging the brain, liver, kidney and heart that are still being sold. What we don't understand is there are billions of people sponsoring these substances to keep going in circulation because there is profit in them.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One good reason alcohol is legal is because government makes a lot of money from it and it wouldn't make any difference to many if it's legal or not because it's quite easy to make your own alcohol at home. Considering the fact that the government isn't winning the war on drugs, I doubt they'll want to make the problem worse by adding alcohol to their prohibited substances list.
  4. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yep, the issue with taxes is pretty much insane if you ask me, governments allow all sort of dangerous substances just because those give them a huge profit.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Tell me about it. Just like cigarettes. We all know that it poses a lot of dangers, but still, they are being sold everywhere. And yeah, the government profits from these substances. In my opinion, the laws regarding the sale and consumption of such substances be rewritten or changed. They should be regulated more.
  6. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

I cant say why it legal. But this is the first time I heard it can cause mental issues. My best guess as to why its legal is because its in high demand and the greed of money erases all common sense. People want to have a choice and they have it. They usually choose whats bad for them until it gets to bad for them. No one likes to be told no, even if it is suppose to help them.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have heard something on this not too long ago. Anything that is abused can cause lots of damage over time. It is not meant to be over consumed. In moderation it would not do any harm and most people are okay with a drink or two. I think the problems come when people become addicted and it takes control of their lives. It is legal because not everybody has a problem with it and I know many people who never drink and have no desire too even though it is legal.
  8. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

I think insanity can come from different directions. Alcohol is one of those in my opinion, it really depends on the person of course. In the end you just have to be yourself and don't let things get to you, that way it's easier to keep your mental health.
  9. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I second what you're saying on government not getting rid of cigarettes and alcohol due to greed. Alcohol does affect the brain, so I'd agree on the fact that it can cause one form of insanity or another. It may depend on the person and their health but it also depends on how much they drink. Then again, it's your choice to drink that much and if mental insanity is one of the consequences, that's what you'll have to deal with.
  10. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

And we are not talking about cigarettes and alcohol only, not even to mention marijuana. All the food and pharmaceutical industries are based on substances that are bad for our health.
  11. akiram13

I would like to just point out that even if they made it illegal like most vices people will still be able to make or get it from other sources. That is why they give in and let the people have what they want as well as draining people of money from it. I wont say all but most people are hardheaded or have gained an addiction to where it doesn't even matter if they know how bad something might be for them they will continue in doing it. Look they are making marijuana legal because its in high demand and they get super rich off of it from the people. Its an on going cycle.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The majority of people that drink don't do it to excess, the will drink a cup or two. It's only a small percentage of people that become addicted to the point that they can't control themselves. Excessive drinking can have a huge amount of side effects that is just one more to add to the list.
  13. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The taxes collected from alcohol and tobacco are huge and so the government will not make them illegal because of the profit, even though they kill people slowly. It is a sad thing to think about. They believe people can make the choice for themselves and profit off of those who make bad choices.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Very good question. There are people in this world that don't care about other people's suffering. All they care about is making money. And alcohol was a good way to do it.
  15. akiram13

They give warnings on the advertisements, but also its advertising it to get people to buy and of course the companies want you to become addicted so you keep buying. It really is sad but greed is apparently more important to others. it's also a way for hospitals to earn if people get sick and if people die its maintaining the population. I think its horrible but people also want their choice in the matter.
  16. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I think alcohol is considered to be legal because it is not adjudged to be harmful in moderate quantities. In fact, scientific evidence supports consumption of a few glasses is good for health. Alcohol has been around for such a long time that people have come to consider it a social drink. Then there is the aspect of taxes collected by the exchequer. Alcohol psychosis is a product of consumption of alcohol over a prolonged period of time. Alcohol also causes brain shrinkage.
  17. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

No, I do not believe alcohol on it's own can cause insanity. Insanity, or mental illness is something that is genetic. It's not something that is caused by a drug or alcohol. If you have mental problems, you're pretty much born with them for the most part. Alcohol may cause an individual to act more erratic, and make a mentally ill person act out, but it can also do the same thing for people who are normal mentally.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It's all about the money and all those people pulling the strings of everything. Hence things that harm you as much as alcohol or smoking are still legal. It's sad, but true. Sadly humans value more profit over everything, just take a look at what people are doing in the amazon for profit... soon there will be no more forests. People just don't care as long as they make money... they couldn't care less about the health of others.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

The governments are benefiting as they profit from the taxes and sales from liquor sales and it is something the country needs to think about and it is sad in this modern world as people tend to value money, and even politics is corrupt as everyone wants to benefit from these deals. I have seen some people use alcohol as a way to hide from their problems and also it is sad to see when people use this as a way to escape their illness or even they can try and act drunk all the time due to alcohol. It is common to hide issues or even try and blame alcohol for their problems when it can be due to themselves as in human nature it is common to try and blame someone or something and nto see the root of the problem.
  20. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

It is legal because we tried to make it illegal and it backfired. Just as many people did it and then criminal gangs made the money off it.
    There are a lot of things that are not good for you that are legal. It's up to everyone to decide for themselves, we don't need a government telling us what's good and bad for us.
    Alcohol can make underlying mental health conditions worst, but from what I have read it does not necessarily cause them.