An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and Mental Disorders

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by DaniMiranda, Oct 27, 2014.

1. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

i am bipolar and have been diagnosed with personality disorder. I've taken just about every prescribed anti psychotic and mood stabilizer on the market! The only thing I find that calms me is a couple of glasses of wine. I have had trouble with alcoholism in the past (rehab stints), but I would rather risk that monster than be doped up on psych pills. Either way I am risking an addiction, as my personality is an addictive one, but is one less hurtful than the next?
  2. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Hi there!

Are you still sleeping okay? Have you had any manic episodes at all?

Also - please don't take this the wrong way - but do you have children? If so (I am going to be honest) you are taking a risk by not taking prescribed medication for bipolar. If you have an extreme manic episode - and CPS gets involved - they will remove your kiddos (at least temporarily). Just wanted to make sure you were aware.

This being said - if you are going to make this choice, and not take your meds - that is your choice. Howeer, I do recommend you at least find a good counselor.

Bipolar is nothing to be ashamed of. There are many successful people in the world - bank presidents, actresses, nurses, doctors, successful businessman etc - who have bipolar. However, the difference between them and the bipolar stories we read in the news is that they take their meds.
  3. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

Thank you for your advice and I have considered your points several times. I do need to take this seriously and get on some type of medication. My episodes lately have been manic, wild eve. I am very stressed at home and with finances. This causes me to kick start an episode. I know that mess are my only option right now.
  4. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Have you seen a couple of doctors? I think you should find a doctor who is willing to try something in your favor. I know you can't really be picky when it comes to that kind of prescription but maybe you can find a doctor who doesn't want you on a lot of pills. One, it's not good for you to be on a bunch of pills because it can eat your stomach lining. Second you could get worse from certain medication reacting to each other. Be honest with your doctor and tell him that wine makes you feel better. There may be something he could do to help. Good luck.
  5. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

Thank you and I am going to do that. It's hard finding a doctor who actually listens, as crazy as that's sounds. It seems like psychiatry is more of a business than anything else. Sometimes I can walk in and walk out of my appt in less than ten minutes, yet have two new prescriptions to fill. It's very challenging. Honesty is key, though. I can't deny my love for wine and by being honest with my psych, maybe he will better understand how to treat my illness. Thanks again.
  6. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

There is nothing wrong with having a few glasses of wine to calm your nerves -- unless it is becoming a problem. If the medicines you are on are having negative effects on your life, ask your doctor about alternative forms of treatment . There may be a way to treat your condition without creating a dependence on a substance like alcohol.
  7. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, please do see a doctor. You can be helped for sure. The link that one of our contributors here, kevinkimmers, shared under the topic How Mental Illness and Addiction Influence Each Other can be informative to you. You may be risking too much of your addictive nature. Before you know it, you may be battling with two concerns, your bipolar disorder and your addiction.

A doctor can advise you better on what treatment plan you can take. All the best to you DaniMiranda.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I am a researcher and writer on personality disorders and mental health illnesses, I already have one book on personality disorders out (self-published). The fact that you said you are bi-polar then the next thing you said is that you have a personality disorder concerns me somewhat. You didn't say what personality disorder it is you were diagnosed with. However, I do know that bi-polar disorder can often be misdiagnosed as Borderline personality disorder and vice versa - but I think it would be highly unlikely that you have both.
    ProShell likes this.
  9. ProShell

ProShell Member

I think that this is an important possibility.

Diagnosis is very difficult for diseases of the mind. It's not like an infection where we can just look at the bacteria and know what is hurting you, we have to look at you and ask questions to try and figure it out.

I would investigate possible alternative diagnoses, and see another doctor.
  10. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I agree, maybe seeing a different doctor to get a second opinion would be a wise move. If that's not feasible then, instead, ask your doctor to refer you to a therapist or counselor and discuss the issue with them. If you were referred to them by your doctor, then they will figure out what the problem is and will advise your doctor on any necessary steps to take and medication(s) to prescribe.
  11. I am not sure if one addiction is better than another. I say this because often people who have one addiction end up turning to more or they end up moving on to more harmful things that they become addicted to. Does therapy help you with your mental health disorders even if medicine has not been so successful?
  12. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Probably drinking does not help your bipolar disorder. Talk to your doctor about it, and maybe seek a second opinion from another doctor if you can afford it. Join a self help group in your area where you can meet other addicts, they might know of a good doctor.

Often many doctors are unfamiliar with addiction, so it is important to find a doctor which has experience in this area. Also it is important that you feel comfortable with your doctor.

Many people are scared to ask theor doctors questions. Ask why is he prescribing these medicines. Ask your doctor, don't argue with him.
  13. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Yeah, that is exactly what we should do, ask the doctors, I just don't know if we will like the answers. Sometimes the doctors also don't like to dialogue, so that can be a setback as well...
  14. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

Alcohol and mental disorders are not often a good mixture. Experiences or things can go really bad, for a consumer of alcohol with mental disorders. Especially, more sever ones with defective cognitive function. It depends on the disorder of course, but one can never be too sure, it be best to get kicks out of something else. Some people with mental disorders can really have negative experiences on alcohol. If one suffers from mental disabilities alcohol should be evaded.
  15. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I'd say that sometimes one can cause the other, if we abuse on alcohol we can get mentally unbalanced and the opposite is also true, mentally unbalanced people can try alcohol to forget.