An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and Partying

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by gracer, Apr 21, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

When I was younger I used to party a lot. I was one of those popular girls in school with a very strong personality and a lot of friends to party with. I went out almost every night and with it comes the alcohol. Partying until getting drunk used to be my thing. I was really into so much mess back then.

Good thing I was able to pull myself up and changed when I got older. Gone are the days when I would go home drunk and wake up still dizzy and with a terrible hang-over. When I think about the things I did before, I would just shake my head now. I think of how silly I was back then and I would never go back to that kind of life anymore.
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Partying and getting plastered is definitely fun. I remember getting hammered almost everyday for a whole month in college and it was fun as heck. Of course, those fun times go away and I was left trying to get that feeling back. Though I hope to distance myself from that chapter of my life, I have to say I learned a lot while dancing in my drunken stupor.
    gracer likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Everybody, well, everybody I know including myself went through the same phase growing up.

I think it's a kind of natural progression and one of the things that people go through, a form of experimenting and trying different things.

For some that's as far as it goes and as you get older you do out that behind you but I think for others, they can get addicted very easily to that way if life and rely on alcohol and it's affects to have a good time.
    gracer likes this.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, I guess most of us have been through this. From what I've seen, that kind of behaviour changes once you get married. I've got a lot of friends that used to be party animals. We got drunk every night, either going to bars or just sitting on a couch watching a movie or playing video games. Most of them only drink socially these days. As I've yet to tie the knot, I kept on partying a lot longer.
    gracer likes this.
  5. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

It is a part of life. Being young and dumb. Rebelling against your parent. Sounds familiar? we have all done it on some level. But what we can take from that is a lesson. Lesson in life and there is always a chance to grow for that. Everything has a purpose.
    gracer likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That was me. I think everyone has done it one point in their life. Peer pressure and what not. It's a port of life. We lived it and now it's time to move and learn from it.
    gracer likes this.
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Sometimes we do this when younger as that is the time we are young, and also that is when we don't have many responsibilities and also that is when we relax more. When we get older we have more responsibilities to handle and also we tend to drink a bit less and don't party as like we used to do. When we have been past that phase, we learn from it and try and move on and take responsibility in our actions as well.
    gracer likes this.
  8. pwarbi

I think growing up and taking on new responsibility is when some people start to calm down with the partying and the drinking but with others, they don't know how to handle responsibility.

Alcohol can also mask a lot of problems and some people choose to turn to alcohol because, in a way, they don't want to grow up.
  9. gracer

You're all right guys. Now it's time for us to be the guiding force to our younger generation. With all the problems and pressure they are also facing now, they need the wisdom we can share with them. Our experiences will serve as lessons for all of them to choose the right path in life. :)
  10. pwarbi

Hopefully posting on this forum, the good and also the bad stories will help people who are going through the same sort of situations that other on here have.

I feel it's not about telling people what they should and shouldn't do, it's about sharing stories and experiences that just might help one way or another.
    gracer likes this.
  11. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

We all did a lot of things that we aren't proud of when we were younger. And as we all mature, we realize those things and therefore no longer continue with them. I'm glad you made that realization.
    gracer likes this.
  12. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It’s part of growing-up. I think most of us here have experienced heavy partying when we were younger. From what I have read in this forum thread, it would seem that all of us here have grown to be more mature and responsible individuals. Kudos to us. ;)
    gracer likes this.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I also used to party a lot in my teenage and early adult years. But I didn't really enjoy myself all that much. I just needed to go to places where I could get drunk and forget about all my troubles for a while. My preference were parties in the country, where I could get drunk or stoned and then sit alone somewhere under a tree or on top of a hill. Sometimes I had company. Some other troubled soul would join me, and we would lie on a meadow under the stars and dream of a better tomorrow...
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

So in general we all went through some mess in our lives in the past and the good thing is we all learned from our mistakes. I'm glad to have read your replies because it gives me a sense of belongingness knowing I wasn't the only one who did those kind of things. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences too. :)
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I also loved hanging out with my friends and we used to drink a lot. But I guess it's all part of being a teenager, to try a lot of things, to be wild and adventurous. However, there would come a time that we will realize that we're already done with these things, and we would get back on track eventually.
    gracer likes this.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I don't think I was ever popular as such, I floated somewhere in the middle - but I was young, impressionable, and didn't really know who I wanted to be. I was a little shy, too, and I felt like drinking brought out the fun side of me -- free of inhibitions, humorous, and so forth. It sounds like a good thing, but I realized I wasn't being true to myself. Most of the time I would drink, I'd just end up making a giant idiot of myself - and I got to a point where I thought if my "friends" only like that side of me, then they're not really friends, are they?
    gracer likes this.
  17. ocurtis25

ocurtis25 Member

Alcohol end up turning to a whole bunch of fighting when you are partying. You
    get intoxicated, and start acting out of character. I just don't even get involved
    with it my friends have gotten me kicked out jobs so many times.
    gracer likes this.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good thing you were able to stop it before it was too late. Addiction could start from those parties in which alcoholic drinks are flooding. Also in such age where there are lots of temptations and just thinking that nothing is wrong with it.
    gracer likes this.
  19. PerkyNorm4u

PerkyNorm4u Member

When I was much younger I was the life of the party, Sunday to Sunday, funny enough I drink alot but only got drunk twice. I tends to dilute my system with water and urinate often while in-taking alcoholic beverages this method helps reduce my likelihood of getting drunk. I also consider to be the strong one among my friends so I cant afford to get drunk as there will be no sober only drunkards. But drinking and partying goes together hand in hand but it is good that we know our limits then it is much easier to handle
    gracer likes this.
  20. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I'm glad you made that realization before it was too late for you. We've all been young and thought we knew better. It's all part of evolution I guess.
    gracer likes this.