An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Vinaya, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Some say wine is good for pregnant woman, where as some say any drinks that contain alcohol should be strictly prohibited by pregnant women. Please share your thoughts.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I heard of that study which claimed that a bottle of wine a month is not only good for the mother but also be good for the child's development. While that might be true I think the fact that most women who drink will have more than a bottle of wine in one month and that wouldn't be great for the baby.

IMHO pregnant women shouldn't drink at all.
  3. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Since there is no sure fact that drinking while pregnant is safe I strongly recommend that is not what to do. Also I think pregnancy is a great motivator to quit drinking all together. Putting your little one ahead of your wants is awarding in itself. I, being a mother, am against alcohol mixed with pregnancy. Just my opinion.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

The have been a lot of studies done on this issue and there isn't a conclusive amount that can be considered safe. Peoples bodies are different and will react differently. Why risk, who will pay the penalty will be your child.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'd also say that there's no point taking that risk, and if your pregnant then it's best to avoid alcohol altogether.

There might not be conclusive proof that it does harm the baby, but we do know that not drinking doesn't cause any harm, so that's the way to go in my opinion.
  6. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Alcohol is discouraged during pregnancy because it is transmitted to the developing foetus. This causes birth defects and other congenital abnormalities. It can also cause stillbirths as well as premature births. It is also likely that the kid born by such a mother has been exposed to passive addiction. However small quantities do not have sufficient back up research as to the extent of likely harm.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

There are studies but one should not take the risk and not consume any kind of alcohol during pregnancy and lactation. I remember when I learned I was pregnant, I stopped all my vices and taking anything that I knew could harm my baby. Even the things I used to apply on my skin, I made sure that I wasn't putting on anything that could potentially harm him. I guess the point here is for a pregnant woman to take all the extra caution and care to protect her baby all throughout the pregnancy.
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Before you take an action, it is always prudent to reflect on its effect on others. Alot of scientific and medical studies are conclusive on the effects of alcohol on the unborn baby like congenital abnormalities. The mother to be should wean herself off vices like drinking and smoking. Intake of nourishing foods should take precedence. It pays to sacrifice short term vanities for longterm realities.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really think that's not safe at all. Alcohol is acidic and the baby is taking in what the mother consumes. Not only do I think there should be no alcohol but not to many acidic foods either. I think that it's a false claim that any kind of alcohol is safe during pregnancy.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm on the no train for alcohol in pregnancy. I think a lot of people don't know even how much constitutes one standard drink, for instance - so it's better in my opinion to abstain entirely. To me it's just not something I would ever want to risk. I always think to myself of what alcohol does to a grown adult and wonder how that could be at all safe for a developing fetus...