An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol and returning to work

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Lorraine, May 24, 2016.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Member

I am due to return to work next week following a relapse with my alcohol addiction. Some people at work are aware of my addiction, but I am anxious and scared they will think I have failed. Any advice?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Lorraine... My advice would be not to worry about what other people think. If they ask you about it, just be honest. Tell them that relapse is part of the disease of addiction and that you have learned from it and are back on the right path. Relapse isn't failure. Remember that.

Wishing you nothing but the best going forward. Keep doing the next right thing. We're behind you 100 percent.

Peace and hugs.
  3. Lorraine

Lorraine Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I suppose that those who do not understand are not worth worrying about. You are right. I have been called plenty of names, but I am a good person. My addiction does not make me a bad person. Love and hugs too x
  4. deanokat

You're very welcome, @Lorraine. I learned a long time ago that worrying about what a person might think of you doesn't stop them from thinking it. Worrying doesn't actually do anything. So just keep reminding yourself that you are a good person with a disease called addiction. And keep working hard to stay on the right path. Keep the faith, my friend!
  5. Lorraine

Lorraine Member

You are so right. I will return to work next week. I have never kept my addiction hidden, I know others who have. I am honest about what I have done. I will keep my head high and carry on. Your words mean so much. Thank you.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

7. Lorraine

Lorraine Member

You are so kind. It is amazing that a few kind words and understanding can make all the difference to a person with an addiction. Thank you once again.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. deanokat

@Lorraine... Remember: If you mix willingness and hope enough times, you can achieve anything you want. That includes long-term sobriety. You can do this. I know you can. And what other people think doesn't matter at all.

Sending you hugs of hope and encouragement. Reach out anytime, my friend.