An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol as a Depressant

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by JRyan1909, Aug 25, 2015.

1. JRyan1909

JRyan1909 Member

So I know my own personal experiences with drinking and my depression. I can do a little of it here and there, but if I consistently drink for more than two or three days, my mental health takes a nose dive and I've got to get a few good days of steady medications and sleep to kind of knock that nasty stuff out. So I'd just like to hear from people who've had some bad experiences with drinking and their mood or drinking and full blown depression. I myself have had some pretty nasty days just because I decided to have a bit too much fun over the weekend, or some other huge mistake, lol. :)
  2. DarkWaltz

DarkWaltz Member

I never got depressed while drinking, because I was always screaming at everybody about how there messing up my world, planet, plans, etc. Politics, Sociological, and economic commentary always comes out of me when i'm drinking, sober to for that matter.
    I had to quit drinking because my level of knowledge about the world was becoming to intense for an average none drinking person to listen to. When drinking, it never occurred to me people simply don't care and don't wanna hear about it! I still don't agree with there complacency, but logic and sobriety would dictate there are more efficient ways to drop seeds on people who, IMO should care more.

In short my depression came after, when of course, nobody gave a rip about my concerns for humanity.
  3. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

My physical health took a nose dive while I was drinking. But, I was bulimic too, I'd binge on food, throw up and then drink. I'd usually get a stomach ache, take a painkiller and drink some more until I passed out. Wake up with a hangover, take more painkillers, eat and go to work. Then come home and do it all again. I was depressed and always worried about getting pills or booze to feel better and was just completely miserable without it, it was awful. It's been much better without it. Now, I can actually live my life.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Alcohol is a depressant and the effects are worse if you are already a depressed person. Some people get really happy when they are drunk, but there are many more who get really depressed and sometimes violent. I am not a depressed person, but I know that I always get more upset after drinking if I am already upset over something.
  5. matt1rl

matt1rl Member

I have noticed this same effect on my depression when I drink in excess. I will grow so tired and frustrated of being down, that I will search for something to change this. Sometimes I will convince myself that having a few drinks will make me happy. While it may bring temporary happiness, it is fake, and never lasts. The next day I always feel worse about myself and this can be the start of a cycle that is hard to break. I definitely believe that excessive drinking is one of the worst things a depressed person can do.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well I personally don't like to over indulge in alcohol because I hate the way it makes me feel. I guess I tend to be a moderate drinker, howevr, I have had times where alchohol has made me very uncomfortable with a spinning room or vomiting. As I have gotten older, I do not drink too much at one time because that is something I really don't like at all.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

Alcohol at an ongoing basis for a couple of days will drain you. It can dehydrate you and it is also a depressant when it comes to the chemical impact on the brain. So, it is likely that most people who go on a binge partying night after night really feel it after a couple of days.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For some people, initially they start drinking to cope with depression. However after a while their drinking only worsens the depression. When it already exists and you realize what you thought might be the solution isn't helping, you'd get even more depressed, drink more . . . and the depression keeps getting worse because drinking a lot cause problems. It's these new problems that make you even more depressed.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Yea drinking with depression is not a good idea at all. Sure you'll feel fine for an hour or two, but the depression will will linger overhead along with those problems.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I used to drink a lot but I did it to have fun and chill out with my friends. I have never tried to drown my sorrow, or loneliness in alcohol. As much as possible, when I'm feeling down, I do some activities that will make me happy, like watch funny cartoons on DVD all day. I know that by drinking alcohol, it might cloud my judgement. I don't want to make some bad decisions that I would regret later on.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, in my experience alcohol can be a depressant if you drink certain quantity of it. It seems the more I drank that stuff the more depressed I got, no kidding. I once ended up crying on the phone with my mom. I have noticed I get like that right before getting drunk enough to end up puking, falling on the floor or do both. After that a blackout follows. Not worth it. I'm so glad I no longer binge drink.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I guess it really has a lot to do with how you were feeling before you even started drinking. If you were having a sad or emotional day, the alcohol is just going to make those feelings feel worse. It is strange the way alcohol works. You start of in a good mood and then eventually the feelings of negativity start to move in and then before you know it, you are either beating the crap out of someone or are a blubbering mess. Alcohol does strange things to people and will not drown away the pain that you feel.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I could relate to your experience. There would be times that alcohol makes me feel kind of melancholic, sad, and depressed. I don't know why, but yes, probably it is really considered as a depressant.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The surroundings are a big factor and its one thing to enjoy a few beers in the local bar with your friends on a Saturday night, but totally different if your sat at home on a Tuesday afternoon with a bottle in your hand.

Alcohol will stir up feelings depending on your situation, happy it will make you happier, if your already a bit down and depressed it will send you all the way under.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Actually, I was using alcohol as an anti-depressant. I had huge problems back then and every day I was in pain, so I used to get myself too drunk in order to forget about my problems. But in the morning, they were there again, and everything was worse. Life was horrible, and I was aware of this, not knowing how to handle it and being desperate. I have managed to put an end to it though.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I never been drunk but I think the effect of alcohol depends or varies per person. I have seen some drunk relatives and friends and behave differently on situations. One can be too loud while others are just sitting in the corner quietly when drunk. I think if you drink because of depression, it will just get worst.
  17. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

I don't think alcohol acts as a depressant, quite the contrary, I felt totally thrilled when I was drunk. Eventually on the long run yes.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I remember being younger and drinking a bit more to escape stress and also let the problem, just remain there which was not a good thing, and it is not a good choice to use the bottle to escape the problems. It is a strange feeling to have in the mind when you think alcohol is going to help you as a friend, but it does the opposite and you end up being sick or just tired the next day. I reckon that alcohol can cause issues in the person's life and hope people who use it for stress and try and make changes, which can take some time and need to take small steps.
  19. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

When I drink occasionally, like once in a week, I don't feel anything. But, if I drink on a regular basis, I tend to get depressed. I feel this numbness and alcohol becomes more like a tool for escapism. I'd really suggest not drinking at all & drinking very rarely.
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When you drink too much, you normally feel pretty good but terrible the next day. That's because alcohol gives you a high, but if you have a forced high you naturally have to have a low. In this aspect alcohol functions like any other drug, giving you a high and then giving you a low.
    sunflogun likes this.