An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol as a social thing

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by kassie1234, Apr 10, 2016.

1. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

I'd suggest then you'd rather social with the people who share your interests and ways of doing things. It doesn't mean that you have to unfriend all of those who indulge in a glass or two, but just to cover your wickets and if it's that difficult for you to say 'NO'
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think it's a good idea. Why would you want to go and taste something that you don't want to drink.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

You'd have to expect that in every social situation, you would get offered drinks, unless you live in a muslim country. Best way to deal with those kind of events is to simply avoid going there for as much as you're into that period of danger, those first few days, just try and stay home away from all distractions for as much as you need. With time, you won't see alcohol the same way, and you'll go to such social events simply saying "no thanks" to alcohol.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I honestly don't think this would be such a great idea. You never know what might re-trigger addictive behavior, but I can imagine going to a wine tasting event would be pretty high up on that list. I think very carefully about going ahead with this, but, as always, your own mileage might vary.....
  5. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I would have to skip it altogether or let them know right off the bat that I'm not drinking. If you tell them you are trying to stay sober, they should understand the situation. If they don't, then you should just avoid hanging out with those people.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

If you really want to go and feel like you can handle it. Why not? Bring some grape juice for the wine glass. Red or white just like wine. Usually when someone doesn't drink whether it is because they just don't want to or are a recovering alcoholic other people there have more of a problem with someone not drinking over the person who is actually refraining. I've noticed this because I've done plenty of socializing without alcohol. So it doesn't have to be about you having had a problem with alcohol, at all really. I mean it is all in how "you" view it. There is nothing to feel bad about or guilty about. It's over, you are not that person any longer. These are people who are pouring carcinogens into their bodies for pleasure. I'm not sure what is more ridiculous than that. So whether you are refraining for you past problem or because you just choose to put healthy things in your body. You can just stand firm with it. I mean many times in a social setting people have said "she doesn't drink" to other people there. I never really took offense to it because it was my choice to not drink and generally I stuck to it. I certainly never drank like those that I would call professionals around me. When you think about it from a different angle it doesn't seem so scary to be in a social setting like that. I would just find it interesting to observe people at something like that kind of social setting. How they change during the time and so forth.
    deanokat likes this.