An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol At Home

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by 6up, Aug 20, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

How can you help a loved one who likes buying alcohol and keeps it in their fridge? There are those people who don't like taking alcohol in pubs or restaurants. Is it advisable that we should avoid pubs and start taking alcohol at home?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Taking alcohol at home is no different from drinking it in a bar.

Someone who drinks at home is more likely to drink more because they don't have to drive home afterwards. As with any addiction to help someone who drinks at home first get them to face the fact that they have a drinking problem. Once that person admits that they have a problem you could, get them to wean themselves off alcohol or quit cold turkey if they can.
  3. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I consider taking alcohol at home just as bad as drinking at the bar as the end result is the same. Makes me feel bad watching him spend so much time guzzling the stuff instead of focusing on the kids. I worry about the effect it will have on our little ones who might end up picking up the habit from him. Not a good thing at all.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When a person drinks at home they tend to drink more. They are in the comfort of their own home and they know they don't have to go anywhere to talk to anybody other then their family. It is cheaper to drink at home so they can buy more. My partner really drinks anywhere else but home so I am the only one who really has to deal with him.
  5. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

It really depends.

For an alcoholic, no, alcohol should not be kept at home. It shouldn't even be hidden in cabinets. They shouldn't be going to bars and such either, though.

For the average person who doesn't have any issues with alcohol, then having it at home might be preferable.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

This is absolutely true, I suffered from alcohol addiction and hit rock bottom before starting my road to recovery, so ask me how often I used to visit bars and I will tell you NEVER.

My whole alcohol episode was held at home, where I had what seemed to be a never-ending supply of wine at my fingertips because all those bottles were gifts that I was piling up for years before deciding to start drinking all of them as soon as possible.

I guess things would be less impacting in my life if I had to get the alcohol from bars and restaurants, and probably the financial impact also would stop me on time. But having at home s many wine and not having to pay for it, was just dynamite awaiting to explode.