An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol calories

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by kgord, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I like to drink and am not an addict, but alcohol is quite high in calories. What are some of the lowest calorie alcoholic beverages? I recently switched from red wine to white as I have read it has fewer calories. I also honestly believe even though red wine has resveratrol which is healthy, the sulfites in it caused by blood pressure to rise. The calories in alcohol are what I am most concerned with...
    remnant likes this.
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I've also heard that white wine is lower in calories than red wine. My girlfriend prefers to drink it as she likes to stay in shape. Some, but not all fruity alcopops are also light on both calories and alcohol. I don't necessarily recommend these as they are an acquired taste and are largely aimed at younger drinkers. However, I've heard that Skyy Vodka is low on calories, you could give that a try if you're partial to drinking vodka.
  3. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Vodka with a low calorie mixer would be the best option 'calorie-wise'. I don't really like vodka though so I would tend to abstain if that was the only choice. I like drinking beer, especially craft beer, so I have the tendency to drink away a significant number of calories. I'm hoping that an additional positive effect of me reducing my drinking will be a little weight loss. We shall see!
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Vodka is low in calories and can be mixed with a wide variety of sugar free drinks. Mio, water and vodka is very low in calories. Having a few drinks will do no harm. Light beer is also much lower in calories then regular beer. It all depends on your taste but there are low calories options out there. You just have to research and check around for the right drink that appeals to you.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I thought this thread was amusing. Alcohol in any from, beer or wine, has serious health implications. Cancers cells grow off of alcohol. I think it is amusing that you are looking at the caloric count like the fattening aspect over powers the real health issues here.
  6. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

There have been scientific studies done that suggest very moderate amounts of red wine may have health benefits (link here). It is not proven but it is certainly something that will spur further studies. It is obviously better to have no alcohol to drink but having a small amount of alcohol does not carry the same serious consequences as heavy drinking.

You could say similar things about saturated fats and high salt foods. Everything in moderation is key.
  7. mscaver86

mscaver86 Member

Moderation is definitely the key. I have been leading a healthy lifestyle for the past 6 months and it is working out very well for me. I will not deprive myself from what I desire but I will watch my intake. With that being said every now and then I do like to have a couple of drinks and when I do I drink skinny girl vodka which is 75 calories per serving and I mix it with tonic water.
  8. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

The type of drink with the lowest amount of calories is something like a vodka & soda water or a gin & tonic. Generally, clear, unflavored liquors are around 60-70 calories per 1.5oz. If you use a calorie-free mixer, your mixed drink has the same amount of calories as one of those super-light beers (like that Miller 64 or whatever) but with WAY more alcohol. Dry, white wines like pinot grigio and sauvignon blanc have the lowest amount of calories as far as wines go. I believe it is between 100 and 120 calories per 6oz.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Here is the thing about alcohol and calories. Alcohol itself is very calorie dense, it has more calories then carbs, fats or proteins. If you are trying to get drunk, then you are going to get a lot of calories not matter what.
    Then you have to look what else is in the booze, mixed drinks are the worst because they have extra sugar. Beer has extra carbs.
    I always laugh at one product called "skinnygirl" which claims to have less calories then normal vodka. But it's also less alcohol, so essentially they just added water to vodka to lower both the alcohol and the calories. You have to drink more of it to get your buzz and therefor will drink the exact same amount of calories in the end! The only difference is you paid more to do it.
  10. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

I have to keep my meals balanced to maintain a good weight. I like food but I can't just go all willy nilly eating every thing in sight. It adds up and there are more consequences than weight gain. Having said that, alcohol to me seems like a waste of perfectly good calories. I good be eating something really yummy instead. :)
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's something to be worried about. You wonder why the "beer belly" came to being. It's obviously because of the calories. Just take note of these facts (and not just the calories) for added knowledge and perhaps as a warning particularly if you have alcoholic tendencies:
    • 1 can of beer has approximately 356g calories
    • popular beers mostly contain 154 calories per 11.2 ounce serving
    • Brewmeister's Snake Venon is the world's strongest beer (keep away from it)
    Better drink soda or red wine. They have less calories. Regardless of what you drink, excessive drinking will still compromise your health. So drink responsibly. That's all there is to it.
  12. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It doesn't really count the calories, honestly. All that matters is the quantity. No, a single bottle every once in a while won't make you fat every, but if you drink daily, well, prepare to buy some new clothes.

There are some low-calorie drinks in most of the hypermarkets, but most of them are expensive and taste like s**t. As long as you don't drink excessively or extremely often, you don't have to worry about.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As far as I'm aware the only alcohol with no calories is vodka, and a lot of people I know will have vodka and a diet coke when they're out if they're worried about the calories.

If your on a calorie controlled diet, then regular beers or spirits can consume a lot of the daily allowance but as others have said, a bottle of lager or a few drinks every now and again won't have to much impact in your diet.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Wow I am not sure where you got your numbers, but they are WAY off.
    Also never take health advice from anyone who has ever said "Better drink soda."
    Pretty much every booze beverage has between 100-100 calories.
  15. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think that there are some low level drinks which can be the white wine or the red ones so need to check the booze and buy the ones which are not too high in calorie, and hope they are good for the health and also consume it in a moderate manner which can be nice for the body. I reckon that we need to be careful and also try and check the booze which we consume and even though the alcoholic beverages maybe lower in calories, but it can have things in it which can make it have more sugar in it and more percentage. It is interesting to see that there is very few health benefits and it can be easy to think that the beverage, will be alright about us and also need to think about what the consequences can happen if we drink too much.
  16. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I went to my nutritionist a few years back before I started the Atkins diet, and while discussing eating options we went into the topic of alcohol. Since I was in college at the time, it was normal for me to go out with my friends on the weekends for drinks. I asked him what he recommended as a good option since alcohol turns into sugar (and it goes totally against Atkins standards) and he recommended vodka. he didn't recommend any brand in particular. He just told me to drink it with club soda, and a lemon slice or 2, no more than that. Juices and other additives would just push up the carbohydrate count and turn into fat. I took his advise, and while I continued to diet, and then have the occasional weekend drinks, I continued my weight loss.
  17. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe those that are labeled light drinks have lower calories compared to the regular ones. I also think that there are alcoholic beverages that are labeled low calories. Also drinking very seldom could make you avoid those calories in the alcoholic beverages.
  18. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I wanted to be the first to post on " beer bellies", but I have been beaten to it. I have heard of a brand called skinny girl. You could find them in places like jewels, the grocery store. Although the alcohol is marketed to women, not to say that there is a rule where men can't have a drink produced by skinny girl. I guess you will just have to exercise off the extra calories from the beer.
  19. SPR012

SPR012 Member

Red Wine is moderation does possess some health benefits and is relatively low in calories. Avoid any beers, or malt liquors as these are the greatest sources of empty calories. "Beer gut" is not a phenomenon amongst alcoholics for no reason!
  20. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I'm not sure, I'm sure a quick google search will yield you results.