An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol can ruin your life..

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by slattery2u, May 1, 2015.

1. slattery2u

slattery2u Member

Stay away from alcohol, once you begin drinking it is a slippery slop that can be hard to get off. I would recommend never drinking and you will save money and have a happier healthier life that will benefit you.
  2. rightct

rightct Community Champion

We all know the dangers of alcohol, but not everyone goes into it out of pleasure. Most of us drink alcohol because we find solace within it, and can momentarily offer us it.
    I know a guy who conducts alcohol quitting sessions, but he drinks it on a daily basis, and when I asked him why he's being a hypocrite, he said "I just like it, went too deep in this. I can offer others good information and advice, but for me it just doesn't work". Of course I was shocked, but what could I do? At least he tries to do something good for others if not for him.
  3. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I agree. I think most of the people will vote with me. I think of all the time and money involved in me drinking. Such a waste. I could of been doing something more productive then drinking.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol in moderation, like most things can be ok. It's when the drinking gets out of hand it becomes the issue, and like you say, it can and does ruin people's lives.

Knowing when your drinking too much and actually doing something about it though are two different issues.
  5. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I agree with the previous post that it's not the alcohol that is a problem by itself. It's all about the quantity. However, there are 3 main cases when drinking becomes a serious problem. That is when it starts ruining people's lives, when a man/woman really needs to seek help:
    1. Your friends/loved ones love drinking and you just go with them. You don't want to look boring, stupid or not interesting so you go with the flow. BAD mistake!
    2. You admire people who just happen to drink a lot. All kinds of role models... singers, actors... you might think "look how good they are, it's not such a big deal."
    3. You are going through a really tough period in your life and alcohol looks like the only solution to your problems.
    Take care and keep in mind those 3, try to not let them get you.
  6. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Once again, it's far too simple to tell a person to not do something and then expect them to never try a given thing, especially something so common as alcohol. It would be better if nobody ever drank alcohol, but not everyone has an issue with alcoholism. Plus, most people are going to try alcohol at least once due to social factors and other situations, so you can't simply tell someone to not drink it.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a drinker but I have tasted some of those alcoholic drinks like beer, wine and hard drinks. I agree that drinking could lead you to wanting it more and you will need to have self control to avoid being on such situation.
  8. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

This is a good reminder to those who plan to be into alcohol. We're telling you right now that it's never a good idea. Lots of wasted time and money and you'll just end up regretting it.
  9. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

Yeah, I agree. But there's nothing wrong with just having it for fun on a night out or during a really important celebration. And even then, just into considerable amounts. I guess if you know how to control yourself and know your limits, it's up to you to do whatever with alcohol if you choose.
  10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I though about it and I looked at what alcohol has done to my life and the money that I spent on my addiction. I could have been doing so much more positive things in this world, but I decided to drink instead. Never again. Time to move forward and leave that life behind me.
    Megan S likes this.