An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol, courage and confidence

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amin021023, May 12, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hi everyone. As much as I don't like to say this, but I consider myself a shy person, Always wanted to be more social and outgoing. Alcohol gives it to me, I feel much better days after drinking and when I visited my doctor because I was depressed and anxious I told her that and she prescribed something for me which she claims has similar effects as Alcohol. It has helped much with everything, having more energy during the day, and helped my antsy.

What's your thought on this matter?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I'm curious as to what she could have given you. Generally stimulants are bad for anxiety while depressants (which don't give you energy throughout the day) calm it. I get where you're coming from with the booze though. As much as I can tell myself that alcohol doesn't really fix problems, even if just for the night, I can honestly say it isn't the case with anxiety. Whenever I have myself a little relapse it usually has something to do with going into a situation that I know will be anxiety provoking because it truly does help, unfortunately.
  3. amin021023

Sertraline 50 mg she prescribed me. Regarding giving energy throughout the day, maybe by not being depressed you get more energy to do things.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Sertraline is an anti-depresesant so it's no surprise that you are starting to feel better. Depression really does sap your energy so you're bound to have more right now.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I would prefer that you remain your true self without using artificial stimulants to alter your personality. Such drugs are only beneficial on the short term and it will reach a point and your body will get used to them rendering them useless. At that point, what will be your alternative? I suggest you find other means of tackling your shy behavior. May i suggest hypnosis?
    amin021023 likes this.
  6. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

I try to stay away from the things that doctors would give you because most of the time they give you something to fix one thing and then it ends up messing with something else and this is why I am really skeptical about taking medication that the doctor might give that they tell you will help with anxiety.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe the one given or prescribed to you is better/safer than alcohol. If not, it was like having another addiction or replacing alcohol with a bad substance. I think better to have personality/confidence workshop or learn how to be more sociable than depend on alcohol or other drugs.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Alcohol gives a lot of people more confidence and helps them to be more outgoing. In moderation I think that's fine, the problems occur when you start to get addicted to the feeling it gives you.
  9. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

It's a good thing your doctor prescribed you that medicine. But please don't get too dependent on it. Try to live a life without it as much as possible. Try reducing the daily doses. Or maybe your doctor will start giving you placebos, that would work as well.
  10. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Hmm... Alcohol, due to its composition, usually makes people are outgoing and expressive. Though, in high amounts to make someone reach the inebriated threshold, it makes them reckless and unpredictable. The prescription prescribed by your doctor may be safer. However, I suggest you do some research into the side effects before you commit to this drug, just in case there are some hidden problems.
    calicer1996 likes this.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I would agree that you should be careful with this drug. It might be safer than alcohol, but antidepressants can come with their own caveats. Personally they’d be a last resort for me; I would prefer to go into therapy and learn coping mechanisms, but I understand if that’s not an option (I can’t afford it myself). If you do choose to stick with the meds and then you find yourself no longer wanting to take them at a later point, be sure to consult your doctor about withdrawing slowly, rather than trying to withdraw by yourself.
  12. amin021023

Well said mate. but I think there should be a balance between taking stimulants and remaining your true self in some cases at least.

Hypnosis? can you explain a bit?
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, if you're in a crisis, I think the doctor did the right thing by prescribing some medication. While it's true that you'd just be trading one thing for a similar one, it does give you some time to develop other habits that might help with your depression without the need of drugs or booze. For example, try reading. Reading usually takes your mind off things. Try some meditation, Yoga, ride a bike, anything that can help your mind stay out of those dark places that sometimes haunts us all. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but reading and meditation really helped me a lot.
  14. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Alcohol does seem to remove your shyness and you become more outgoing when you're under its influence because of its ability to lessen or remove inhibitions. It can give us a temporary sense of bravery and sociability but it will always have a negative effect in the long run. The pleasurable effect is temporary but the health risks it gives you will be permanent and sometimes incurable. Anti-anxiety pills can help you at least for awhile but you also have to find a real source of happiness and inspiration to help you through. If you're shy when it comes to many people, maybe you can try to socialize with lesser number of people first just to develop your social skills. Your sociability will improve in time, you just have to expose yourself one step at a time without having to depend on alcohol.
  15. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Jesus...anti depressant pills? I guess you were depressed this whole time and alcohol made you cope with it.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You might end up getting addicted to the pills. Since you know what the underlying issue is you need to turn your attention to fixing that problem.

http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Shyness

They make the whole process sound easy but it's not. But you can take comfort in the fact that with some hard work you can permanently shake off what has been forcing you to abuse alcohol.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that alcohol and prescription drugs are not necessary to help you overcome your shyness. In fact, I believe that, with time, it will only create chaos inside you. Why not approach the things that are bothering you from a holistic angle? Perhaps, instead of reaching for strong stimulants to make you more of an extrovert, you might want to try some classes where you learn how to speak in public. Or you might be interested in joining a group that focuses on open communication. There are plenty of other ways to deal with shyness. You don't necessarily need a doctor for it.
  18. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Ah yes I've been prescribed that too. I found it quite stimulating; to the point I had to stop taking it.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I've heard of this medication before, but didn't truly know it resembled alcohol in any way. If these aren't nocive and you are absolutely sure you won't become addicted to them, you should go for it, I guess, though upon reading a few articles on the Internet, I'm still quite skeptical.
  20. ClassicV

ClassicV Member

Аny "аddiсtiоn" is а physiсаl соnditiоn. Hypnоsis саn wоrk оn аttitudеs аnd dеsirеs. It саn strеngthеn thе will tо асt оr nоt асt. Whаt it саn NОT dо is rеmоvе thе аddiсtiоn. It саn hеlp thе АСTIVITY. If оnе сhаngеs thе асtivity оf drinking, thе thе аddiсtiоn will, оvеr timе, аbаtе. I'm а hypnоthеrаpist аnd whеn I'm аskеd hоw tо stооp smоking I оnly hаlf jоkingly аnswеr: "Dоn't stiсk thаt thing in yоur fасе аnd sеt it оn firе."

Аs а prасtiсаl mаttеr, аny аpprоасh tо hеlping аn аddiсtеd pеrsоn is multi-fасitеd аnd соmplеx. Mоst pеоplе did nоt bесоmе аlсоhоliсs fоr nо rеаsоn аt аll (thоugh thеrе is muсh tо suggеst а gеnеtiс prеdispоsitiоn). Thеrе аrе issuеs оf sеlf-еstееm, strеss, dеprеssiоn, еtс. Оnе hаs tо соnsidеr thе еnvirоnmеnt аs wеll. It dоеs nоt dо tо соntinuе tо drоp in tо thе bаr tо nоt drink, but just visit friеnds, fоr еxаmplе. This is rеаlly а lifе stylе оvеrhаul. It will nоt hаppеn оvеr night.