New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol Detox - probably not typical

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Lackluster, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I used to work for an extremely well known blue polo superstore, in the receiving department. I unloaded trucks and stocked freight, and it wasn't exactly the most strenuous job ever but it would take a toll on you after a while just for the monotony. I live in a small town where there is next to nothing to do but visit bars or go fishing, and I don't like fishing.

I was working a strange shift, too. 4pm to 1am, which left about two hours to visit one local bar. So I started going after work. I'd already been drinking by this point in my life, but not regularly.

A few beers after work started turning into buying a case before work maybe once a week, and going home and watching movies while drinking. A case a week turned into three or four. Cases turned to cheap fifths of whiskey or vodka. Even still, you can get some pretty terrible hooch for $13 bucks a handle. So you can see where my next progression went.

So it was a year after I'd starting drinking regularly that I was at about a fifth a night, drinking dirt-cheap booze (which is rough on a body as is, let alone being alcohol.) I started going to work slightly drunk from the night before. Then I started going to work after taking a shot or three after waking up, to help with the hangovers. The day I got fired, I'd drank the better part of a fifth before coming in. I'm not even sure if they knew I was drunk that day, but my performance had been slipping and there were a few complaints. Spoilers, they canned me.

I had about six hundred dollars left to my name at that point. I literally couldn't afford to drink and stay in my house. I owned the one-room cabin I was living in, on a family plot, so my bills were relatively affordable. I managed to stay afloat four months after I lost my job, because through some miracle of God I made the first sensible choice in ages of choosing my house over the booze. I still lost it, and ended up having to sell it to cover repairs on my truck. Moved back in with my parents, and I'd really rather not talk about that.

Those four months were the worst part of my detox, because I simply couldn't get more. I never had anything I could honestly call the shakes, but I started getting a few of those hallucinations. Small ones, but I knew they were there. I couldn't sleep at night, and I couldn't sleep during the day. I was constantly irritable, and few people wanted to be around me.

After I had to move back in with my parents, it did get a bit better. My mood stabilized out, and every once in a while I got a bit of sleep. It's been pretty much alright ever since, and it's going on two years now since I lost that job. I even have a new one, now. I won't lie and say I haven't drank a bit since, but I have been completely alcohol free the last six months, unless you count the Listerine I use in the mornings. That's my story. I honestly feel like it wasn't that big a deal looking back, but I do realize how bad it could have been, and I probably would have kept going until I was scraping rock bottom with my teeth.
    amethyst likes this.
  2. RakeMind4

RakeMind4 Active Contributor

lel. Interesting story mate, thanks. You have a talent with words as well.

Yea. Interesting and quite impressive that you were able to just make that decision, and follow through with it on your own. What I also find poignant about your story is that aspect of how, in a relatively short period of time, you can go from "a completely standard life" to the absolute pits, purely because of using this stuff. It just goes to show how vulnerable the individual really is to some of the substances that are out there. And considering just how widely distributed it is, I'm surprised alcohol addiction isn't more common. But maybe you just don't hear about it much. My mom was a drunk for several years, actually. But I'm sure, over the course of human history, the damage that has been caused by alcohol in particular is unfathomable.

So hey. Good luck with keeping your **** together brah. And yea, I'm not going to say never drink again, but obviously, you know.
  3. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

If you want my honest opinion, alcohol is the reason why society originally came together. It's easily transported, manufactured, and of all the drugs out there, alcohol is probably the easiest to make. There was a law in ancient Sumer stating that only women were allowed to brew alcohol, which only makes sense as a way to ensure women could take part in a fair work force. Not to mention that workers in ancient Egypt were paid in bread, which wasn't considered a foodstuff until times of famine. (Of course, what we think of as bread and what they called bread are different things. Probably loaves of hard-tack, compared to modern bread.) Instead, you took that bread, and dropped it in a bucket of water, where the natural sugars in the bread and the yeast still on it would ferment it into weak beer.

Too much of anything is bad, and some of us can hang ourselves with an inch of rope. But historically, alcohol has kept culture together. Hell, until tea became popular (because of boiling the water, this was before germ theory, mind you,) alcohol was about the safest way to turn any water into drinking water. I don't think of it as evil. I just want to warn others like me, natural born abusers, to steer clear of going that far down the rabbit hole.

I'm trying to rely more on my own strength of will to not be an alcoholic. If I have one beer and can leave it at that, I win. And I definitely don't want to let the alcohol win again.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I also would like to share great information about alcohol detox which you might find helpful. There's the synthetic way, where you're supposed to take it manufactured drugs. My suggestion would be to take in herbs more. Invest in your health a little. Herbs like Kudzu, Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root, Chicory Root, Berries and Herbal Coffee will greatly help speed up the detoxifying process. Feel free to share to anyone who's also on detox.
    Daniel Lucky likes this.
  5. DaniMiranda

DaniMiranda Member

I can honestly say, I know each and every moment you lived through this. It wasn't easy. And because I feel alcohol is not "as bad" as other things out there, I thought my detox experience would swiftly come to pass. I was mistaken. Sometimes I wanted to curl up and die, it was that bad. To wake up one day and say, I will never do this again, is so unrealistic. Because alcohol is so easily accepted, accessible, it makes it harder to recite those 12 step chants. Today, I manage. I don't lie to myself and say I will never drink again. Instead, I am truthful, but just give myself a bit.
  6. sarahxalex

sarahxalex Member

Thanks for sharing your story, I know this couldn't be easy at all to go through this and sometimes we need to get worse for us to get better. I hope you're doing extremely well and getting your life back to the way it should or used to be. Alcohol i so easy to get and everyone drinks that it may be hard to point out when you have a problem sometimes. Everyone and anyone can say "I am never drinking again" but it is actions that speak louder than words and will power. If you believe you can change your life then you can change it. Yes it may be hard but nothing is ever impossible when you put your mind to it. As long as you have a great mind and a great support system anything is possible. Good luck overcoming your problems and if you ever need some support you can talk to me.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Commercial alcohol has many chemicals in it. I do believe they are making them stronger now. Addictive chemicals to make you want them more. Clearly effecting mood. I am curious to see what brands you were drinking. Maybe some residuals of prescription drugs coming out as well if you had any over the years.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

You have come through a lot. You made major changes to your life, even though it might not seem that way to you. Some only need to move back home again to find balance, others have to go to the other side of the world to start a completely new life. Congratulations to your 6 months of sobriety. :)
  9. DangerSuit

DangerSuit Member

That's a great story and one definitely worth sharing with people who might be starting off down that path who don't realise how easy it is to fall prey to excess.

I wonder, what was it about that time moving back with your parents that finally allowed you to break the habit? Was it the realisation for what you had done to yourself, or your parents being there, or some other element that you haven't discussed?
  10. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Thank you for sharing your story with us. The progression of alcohol use was explained very well and I think you will find it to be similar for many others as well. It is so easy to slip from moderate drinking all the way to addictive drinking given the right circumstances and you have illustrated that well. I'm glad that you managed a measure of sobriety after all this and I hope you find or have the support you need for it to continue.
  11. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

Yours is a greatly instructive story. Bless you for being honest and taking the time to allow us to see what you went through.

Not that I am anyone important but I have to wonder if you may be an alcoholic. Did you know that the disease gets progressively worse through the years? The life experience you related could be my story years before I hit bottom.

Bottom has no happy ending generally. Not many find sobriety, that the unfortunate fact.
    remnant likes this.
  12. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I can see that the nature of your work precipitated your drinking problem. Then you went on a rollercoaster ride down the valley of addiction. You haven't mentioned whether you had drinking buddies. These make the situation more precarious if you want to break from their circle. I can identify some points of convergence with my case. I have also lost jobs and have been financially ruined by alcohol. I have resolved to be a Nazirite at all costs.