An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol-Free Stress Management Techniques

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by singingintherain, Sep 6, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Do you have any particular ways to manage your stress levels without alcohol? I believe I have been using alcohol far too much for this purpose, and it's not a healthy or productive way to live. It's bad for my body, relationships and mental health.

I'd love to hear some ideas as to how I can manage my stress (I have a very stressful job) in healthier ways. I try to get regular exercise but I must admit I am not the best at sticking to that! We've had a very harsh winter here so hopefully once spring arrives I can get outside some more. Does anyone have any hobbies or activities they find particularly calming and refreshing?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Ways you can to reduce or cope stress without alcohol or any drugs:

- You don't have to go the gym to get the exercise you need to boost your mood. Try jogging. It could work just as well.

- Set aside some time to do what you enjoy. All work and no play will stress Jack out, so to say.

- Do something for someone. You don't need gratitude to feel good. Do it often and you'll be happier.

- Learn how to meditate and do it. It will calm you down.

Download Blender. Find tutorials and learn how to create 3D graphics or even animations.
    singingintherain likes this.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think reading a book like an adventure one for me it has been Animorphs as the main characters are students and also work as a team, in all their battles and deal with normal issues in life like we do which is amazing. It can be nice to pretend you are in the story as an extra character and helping the good guys out and also it is amazing being a part of the series as if it was real and exciting as well. I think that it is interesting when there are other things to do and also a person, can have peace of mind when trying to do other things which can keep them busy.
  4. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

You could also try arts and crafts. If you're into any shows, try look up projects that other people have done in relation to them, and if they interest you, try replicate them. Eventually you'll be able to take on your own projects and the end result will be very rewarding. I've found stuff like that to be very great for destressing, even if it's only 20-30 minutes of time every few days.
  5. singingintherain

Wow thank you for the responses! Even just reading through these suggestions has actually made me feel a little better. Many of the things suggested are things that I do enjoy, and should try again! I think my brain just gets all stressed out and I forget that there are so many absorbing things that I could do.

I do have some minor craft projects I need to complete for work. I get to choose how I do them so that should actually be quite relaxing, while at the same time reducing my work load. I think I need to prioritize these sorts of things much more.
    Jenga likes this.
  6. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Definitely agree with many of the previous suggestions. I myself am going through a somewhat stressful period at the moment, and I’ve been revisiting some old hobbies I used to enjoy, as well as trying a few new ones I’ve always been curious about. A bonus factor for the latter is that stepping a bit out of my comfort zone in this way usually boosts my confidence. Lately I’ve found drawing quite therapeutic, and physical activity has been a seriously wonderful outlet especially if I can combine it with creative movement of sorts.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

When I get stressed I go walking or hiking. I find spending time with my thoughts and all the beauty that nature has to offer is very comforting. I, also, write my thoughts in a journal or I write poetry. I am far from a poet but it makes me feel better when I write. In the summer time a nice swim in the river helps me through the tough days.
  8. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

One of the more popular methods which has been taking off recently has been yoga. You should invest in a few yoga classes and see if it works for you. It has for most people so i would assume you would fall in the category that would benefit.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

When I am stress, there are some things or ways that could help me deal with it and these are: walking, sleeping, listening to nice music, playing with our pets, talking with close friends, strolling in the mall, buying groceries, playing arcade games and eating my favorite foods. :D
  10. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Managing stress is huge when fighting addiction because it's something that seems that will burst inside us. In those cases nothing like taking a break and control ourselves.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I always feel so stressed out and depressed from working too much. Whenever I feel these kinds of emotions, I would just find time to relax and listen to music. Reading a good book is also very ideal. However, my favorite kind of de-stressing nowadays is travelling. I feel more like a free-spirited human being whenever I am wandering around. It totally makes me feel good. :)
  12. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

One thing you should make sure of:
    Be careful about getting work and hobbies mixed up. While it's great to enjoy your work, you need time for yourself aside from that. If you begin to associate a hobby with stressful work, your hobbies won't relax you as much as they can. It might even make you more stressed out, depending on the situation
  13. singingintherain

@Jenga that is a really good point. I probably wouldn't get the full enjoyment out of something like that when work is in the back of my mind.

My week is getting more stressful now but I am quite proud of avoiding alcohol! In fact, I didn't even think about having a drink last night despite the chaos in my life. I think this thread has really helped me to be honest. I am able to look forward to the weekend and I know I'll come look here for some ideas on how to unwind.
    Jenga likes this.
  14. sunflogun

That is why we need a clean head to be stress free, if we don't find a way to leave our problems behind we will always be in trouble and stressed.
  15. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

It's great to hear that you've been successfully avoiding alcohol! keeping it out of your mind gets easier and easier as time goes on. You're doing great :)
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I do, actually stress ends up causing more stress long term, specially for your body, even though you might not feel it, but the effects can be felt by your body, specially the liver and your brain. And let's not forget the systemic reaction your body has the next day after a night of a lot drinking. Not good at all.

So right now what I am trying to do to handle the stress is walking, I do walking workouts since I can't just go outside for a walk like I used to. And let me tell you that it does help! I haven't found a better way to deal with my chronic stress.
  17. singingintherain

I thought I'd post with one of my techniques I had completely forgotten about! I spent half of my weekend baking and I forgot how relaxing I find it. There's something about the satisfaction you get from creating something that really helps. I find baking is enough to keep my attention as I do need to concentrate, but at the same time it is relaxing as none of the tasks are particularly complex. Plus you get delicious food to eat at the end!
  18. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think learning to play games like chess or cards could help. Exercising is one great way to overcome an addiction, but achieving goals helps also. The fact that you can keep your mind occupied with something, shows that there is a way to distract yourself from cravings. Meditation is a great way to relieve stress also. These are a few things that I think would work.
  19. sunflogun

I don't know about chess let me tell you! I used to play and that didn't relieve my stress at all, quite the contrary because it's a stressing "sport", requires a lot of thinking.
  20. singingintherain

Chess does definitely require a lot of thinking @sunflogun! I can see how it would be enjoyable for some but I am pretty hopeless at it. I'm not sure I've ever won a game.

There are so many fantastic ideas that have been shared in this thread though. I think it's a great resource for when one is feeling bored or at a loss of what to do.