An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol hustled him to the grave.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Lizel, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Ten years ago, when I was five years old, me and my mother travelled abroad to Ireland. We went there because my mother suffered from lack of money all the time. It was a tough time for us to get used to a different country, it was tough for me to go to school and especially to a school that wasn't Polish, but English. I couldn't do anything about that I was forced to learn English, often I stayed in school long hours after everybody finished their lessons (I was only five years at that time). Well with time our life got a little organized. I missed my family that stayed in Poland, a lot, but I had to deal with it and could do nothing about it. But the nightmare was just about to begin, my mother fell in love with a man who was also from Poland. Soon he moved to our rented house and we started to live together. Everything was okay, until the horror began. With time my mother released that her loved one is abusing alcohol, it was within 1-2 years. He drank more and more every day, but my mother was like blindly in love with him. She kept worrying about him, because whenever the weekend started he would go out and drink all night long, come in the early morning back home, that happened constantly for at least five years. After a time they started fighting, they fighted nearly every day and I would always witness those situations. I loved my Step Dad with all my strength, and I knew that he needed help, but I also didn't want my mother to fall into bigger depression than she was in at that time because of him. It was a torture for me. Sometimes I would just cry all day because I didn't know were to seek help. I was sorry for them both, my mother tried to make him release that he had a problem with alcohol, but he didn't want to listen, he didn't want to get any treatment, he thought everything was okay, This situation kept on going for nearly nine years before my 14th birthday. We moved back to Poland, we could buy a house with all the money they made for working hard in Ireland those entire years, we wanted to live happily. On 24th November 2013 my step dad had an accident he was driving while drunk, he rolled over in the car and fell into the river, he drowned. I still have tears in my eyes while writing this, this is so painful. He was only 37 years old, he didn't deserve death, he deserved help. After that I have commited suicide, I had slit my wrists, my mother had hard depression, social axciety and panic fears. She took anti-depressants and pain killers all the time. I had to go to a psychologist for an entire year. Yet, I'm still sitting here, writing this. I survived all of the pain I had to go through, I believe I can be happy again, I try to support my mother as much as I can nowadays, my two best friends have been a great support for me too, they actually made me feel a lot better. I'm only 15 right now, but I have experienced a lot. I never really had a proper childhood, and I am very mature. If you're struggling through a similar situation, I can feel your pain, make sure that you reach help as soon as possible.

Gosh, need to lit a cigarette. ;x
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am sorry you had to endure all of that as a child and that you didn't have a better childhood to remember. Alcohol destroys family life and it so hard on all those involved. I know your mom loved your step dad and all she wanted was for him to get the help he so desperately needed but she couldn't help him until he was ready to help himself. Sadly, in your step dad's case, he never got that chance at cleaning up his life. He was so young to die. A life gone far too soon. It broke my heart to read of your suicide attempts. I am glad to hear that you lived through them and that you believe in a brighter future. You are a strong young woman who has a lot of life a head of you. I hope your mom can find that same strength and get the help she needs before it is too late for her. Glad to hear you are doing so much better now. Thank you for taking the time to share you story and to let others know that there is help out there if they seek it.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sorry to know that you have suffered all those on very young age. Good thing you are able to survive and sure you can be happy again. Do not lose hope and it is also good to know you have best friends who are there and really cares.