An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol is bad

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by joell, Mar 31, 2016.

1. joell

joell Member

Alcohol is bad
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Hi. I hope that you can add more details why alcohol is bad for you. I would say that I also think that way as I have a lot of people suffered because of being alcoholics and there are some relatives as well and seen their families suffered.
    But I also knew some who are just occasional drinkers and drinking not to the extent of being drunk. So they can pretty controlled themselves and their lives.
  3. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

In other news, the sky is blue.

Come on, man. That's all you have to say? Everything in moderation. Nothing is inherently bad.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Why are you here, friend? Are you here to share your struggles with alcohol? If that is the case, don't feel shy and share with us. We are a community that is not judgmental at all, because many of us have struggled with alcohol and other addictions personally. So there is nothing to be afraid of :) One of the paths to recovery is speaking up about this and how you feel.
  5. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Alcohol is bad if you use it too much too often. Even water can kill you if you drink certain amount of it to quickly so alcohol is not bad we use it badly. Actually red wine is good for your health but only if you drink glass a day. Otherwise it will mess with you blood pressure, sugar level, etc..
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It depends, if you know how to use it can not be that harmful. A good thing to learn about almost everything in life is to try to be responsible with those things, everything in excess is bad.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Me Tarzan, you Jane. Hulk smash, Hulk bash. We all know it is bad. It does nothing but create turmoil and make things more complicated. Better to just stay away for clarity and good health.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

As someone that enjoys the occasional drink, I absolutely agree with you. I don't think anyone disputes the fact that alcohol is bad for your health. Not even those that love alcohol would claim otherwise.
  9. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

There are a few things that are truly bad in this world. People are bad. Bad people are bad to be more specific. However, bad things are bad for a reason. So, you need to link a reason to your statement.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The assertion isn't entirely true. Alcohol itself isn't the real villain. Alcoholism is.

. . . the problem with drinking, I thought, as I poured myself a drink [is] if something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.”
    ― Charles Bukowski,

Nonetheless since it's hard for most people to drink in moderation, it's safer I suppose for everyone to drink no alcohol.
  11. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

People are bad, there is no way around that, but people are good too. The question we need to make is, does alcohol make us better or worse?
  12. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, it is really bad. When you use this stuff in an excessive amount, it controls you. Alcohol brainwashes you and changes your belief and you start to believe that it is everything. So, I would not recommend you to try this stuff. By the way, what is your exact question, man? can you elaborate your alcohol problem?
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I guess alcohol can be bad in some cases. If someone is a alcoholic then alcohol would be bad but if a person drinks in moderation it may be healthy. It really depends on if someone abuses it or not. It would help if you gave us a little more
    detail into what you are saying.
  14. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

It's more of a social drink if you use it well (in moderation). I wouldn't say no to a glass of wine occasionally with all the anti oxidant properties it has but it has to be maintained that way. Anything over that might be poisonous.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes it is, and it tastes awful as well. I never liked it the moment I took a sip of it! Alcohol is detrimental for our health, so we're better off not taking it.
  16. oportosanto

I never liked the taste of alcohol either, I just drank to get wasted, so how terrible as a principle is that. Either cases it helps that I don't like how it tastes...
  17. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Alcohol can be very bad when abused and when somebody becomes addicted to it. I can destroy people's lives and those that they love. It destroys relationships, jobs, families, etc.
  18. oportosanto

Alcohol can destroy pretty much everything you are correct, so under this perspective it's pretty stunning that we still sell it freely...
  19. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

Alcohol is indeed bad because it affects you in all aspects of your life, social, familiar and even personal because it makes you really addicted to the substance and makes you do stupif **** that you regret the following morning and that's when you decide to never drink again but then again a friend calls he says he wants to drink and you say why not it's just gonna be one and then you end up in your friend's house with a tremendous headache and a lot of responsabilites you should've done and you can get in serious legal trouble you can end up killing someone if you are not careful enougj.
  20. oportosanto

Killing someone is something extreme, but I do agree that our judgment is clouded and that we might end up doing things we regret later.