An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol is taking a toll on your money

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by FuZyOn, Apr 7, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

When I was little my parents used to drink a lot. I would sometimes not eat because my dad or mum got wasted and spent all the money on alcohol.
    You can do so much for you with the money that you spend on alcohol, just think about it.
  2. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that. It seems very difficult to believe that some parents would actually let their child go hungry, because they spent money on alcohol. I think a very important thing to understand is that your parents are people like anyone else. When you're younger it's easy to believe that your parents are these superheroes who magically can protect you from anything bad in the world. However, they are people with their own problems like anyone else. Hopefully, they got over their addiction.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that can be said for any drug. If people sat down and thought about how much money they waste on substances, not just alcohol but all drugs then they'd never take them again. Or at the very least cut down considerably.

The problem is though when an addiction takes over, the rational thoughts go out the window and the mind is consumed with how to get that next fix, if that means not spending money on food or other essentials than that's what happens sadly.
  4. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Drinking alcohol can take a toll on your money. If you are considered an alcoholic, then you would make sure that you always have some available. That could mean that you may spend money for food, gas, or bills on alcohol. It is not good to waste money on alcohol and not have any left for the important things in life. Alcohol can kill you so don't waste money on it if you do not have it to spare.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Absolutely, there are so many worthy things to spend money on rather than on unnecessary things like harmful drugs/substances/alcohol. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to drink once in a while just to wind it down, but don't make it as your habit as you will eventually end up poor, sick, and addicted.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Alcohol is expensive. I'm sure there are other places that it could be spent wisely, but when you drink, you forget about the future and think about the heat of the moment. I would have so much material things if I had just stayed home and saved up.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Unfortunately, alcohol is a fairly affordable and inexpensive purchase, no matter your budget. You can get a six pack of beers for a few bucks or a bottle of wine for four bucks. Then you get hard alcohol for under 10 bucks. If that money was spent elsewhere, then there could potentially be hundreds each month extra, though, especially for alcoholics. I'm sorry that you had to go through such situations, but it's what happens when people can't control their drinking.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It really is expensive to drink...I look back at when I used to drink regularly, and it makes me disappointed in myself to think of how much cash I could have saved. It would have been a nice little nest egg or could have contributed more to my mortgage. These days, as well as all the health benefits of avoiding alcohol, and not dealing with nasty hangovers, I also remind myself of the money that is being saved as a result.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

So true that there are lots of other things more important than spending money on alcohol. Sad and hating to know that some will spend their money on vices than buy foods and other needs especially for their kids.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, you're absolutely right. In my case, money wasn't much of an object, because I had friends who were always willing to pay for my drinks. They'd call me up and ask me what I was doing, and if I told them I had no money, they'd still try to convince me to go out with them, all expenses paid. But, I never hit the bottom of the barrel with alcohol, so I guess this case doesn't apply to me.
    kiki1000 likes this.
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Oh, my. That's very bad to hear. I personally cannot understand parents who make children just for the sake of priding themselves with them, then not even willing to take proper care of them; it's just horrendous, as I personally went through this, too, but not that quite often, as I had a part-time job which bought me everything I needed, essentially.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Many stores now have special offers on alcohol and so it's not that expensive anymore. It's like they're encouraging people to drink and in a lot of cases that's the last thing people need.
  13. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

This is true, booze is expensive! Imagine the many useful and cooler things that you could've bought with the money you spent for alcohol!
  14. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

These are the times when you would utter the words "if only" to yourself. But don't worry, it's never too late to change and make up for those time and money you spent.
  15. slattery2u

slattery2u Member

If you drink daily it can really effect how much money you have. Drink is not cheap, especially if you go to bars to begin drinking.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's expensive to maintain a vice, be it drinking alcohol, cigarette smoking or snorting drugs. These are not part of a person's basic needs so if you're not solvent enough, regularly spending for such vices will definitely take a toll on your pocket, not to mention your health and psychological well-being.
  17. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I spoke recently of this issues right here in the forum and said I was amazed at the amount some spend to support their habits. Sadly, the offenders don't only neglect their own health, they often neglect their loved ones. I am sorry to had to witness it firsthand. At least you have been taught a lesson of what not to do with your own family.
  18. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I have wasted so much money going out to the bars and buying drinks. I cannot believe how willing I am to throw away my last dollars to get a beer. I don't drink by myself, only in social settings, but I put myself in these settings on average 3-4 nights a week. I would not be homeless right now if I had been able to better manage my money. Couch surfing sucks.
  19. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

It's amazing how I can complain about not having money for bills but I still can buy a 12 pack everyday after work. You don't really count how much you spend on alcohol if it becomes part of your daily routine. $15 usd a day for 5 years. That ads up to a lot of money.
  20. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

That is sad but true. Alcohol costs money that otherwise could be spent in other more important things such as food for example. Money is important, but I'm more concerned about the damage alcohol does to our health, both mental and physical.