An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol Overdose: What to do?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Nick W., Oct 20, 2014.

1. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I think having a drinking class with students would be a great idea. They are going to experiment and party. They should be prepared and be informed of possible bad things that could happen.
  2. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

Yes, giving someone in this condition coffee is a really bad idea. I was there once and they gave me coffee and it was even worse after I drank it! So stay away from coffee if you are drunk people, seriously. The best thing to do is to not get yourself into this mess, modesty is key.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I think that basic guidance is never too much, so it would be great to see that happen concerning alcohol, drugs and even sexual education but sadly it's not something that happens often...
  4. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Yep, that would be great to avoid reaching this condition, but that is what addiction does to us, we drink and drink beyond the capacity of the body.
  5. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Binge drinking is more popular with the high school and college crowd. I think there should be programs in place that would help cut back on the amount of drinking that goes on. I'm not sure what would help, but something should be tried. Just saying No was a joke in my generation. A sappy slogan doesn't help, education on the other hand does.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Both cases of the alcohol overdose victims are not anything but atrocious. I never had to deal with drunks or people who overdose on alcohol. I guess I am pretty lucky to not have to deal with that.
  7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

It's not a matter of luck I think, it's just a matter of the habits we gain along the years and the people we hang out with, if we drink, most likely we will hang out with drunks as well.
    Nick W. likes this.
  8. Peninha

Once we reach the overdose condition we are in trouble, no way around that. Hopefully we are wise enough not to do it or we have someone around us that help at that time.
  9. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

That's pretty much it really. You see bad stuff happen enough, you become conditioned to know how to handle it. You know what to expect, and how it's going to go down.
  10. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

That was a mind opening article. Thank you Nick for that helpful information. This forum is a gem! I'll bookmark this page for later references.
    Nick W. likes this.
  11. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I used to drink to the point that I would black out. I am blessed enough not to have ever been hospitalized because of an alcohol overdose. That would have been a scary experience for me. If someone around me had an alcohol overdose I would be scared as well but less scared if they are conscious. If they were unconscious I would panic. In either situation I would call 911 but I am glad that I read this post. It provides great information about what precautions should be taken if someone has overdosed on alcohol.
  12. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Why do people overdose alcohol? It's something very unusual. IMO, most people that get into this thing have personal issues.
  13. Nick W.

Why do people overdose on anything really? I would imagine it's a combination of bad choices, elevated tolerance, excessive use, etc... I think it's probably safe to say that most of these people have some personal issues, even if that issue is simply substance abuse.
  14. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

Thank you so much for sharing this info. A friend of mine is struggling with alcoholism ever since college and I'm going to point him to this post. Please remember him in your prayers and thank you once again for your informative post!
  15. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Yes, this is correct. No one can be turned away from an emergency room.
  16. Nick W.

It is true that the ER will take you, or has to take you, but that does not mean you're free and clear. Like I said before, my BF woke up to handcuffs after drinking too much and needing to go to the hospital on his 21st birthday. He had a major fine, and lost his license for a year too.
  17. Peninha

Yeah, but that happened because he was driving no Nick? No way that they could have charged him if he was not doing something forbidden under the influence of alcohol.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Thank you for the comprehensive information. I used to work in an environment where people frequently collapsed from alcohol overuse. At times, it was difficult to decide whether to call an ambulance or just to let the person sleep it off. It was a big responsibility, and in most cases I opted for calling an ambulance. Overdosing from alcohol in bars is very common and places a big burden on the staff that is working there.
  19. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Man, I wish resources like this site existed when I was young. This happened to a guy at a part I went to once. He was non-responsive. They were too afraid of getting busted to call for help. Someone took him in their car and dropped him off at the ER. Well, I should say dumped him off anonymously. Thank God he didn't die.

Yeah, what's supposed to be 'fun' can turn ugly real fast, like Camsdad said.
  20. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

I have faced a situation recently where my friend was unconscious after an overdose of some alcohol and Ganja. I honestly thought that he is dead as he was not moving at all. Counselling them afterwards doesn't work as well. They'd be too embarrassed to listen to you.