An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol Readily Available

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by kgord, Sep 8, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am wondering about the alcohol statistics of states that have alcohol readily available as opposed to those that don't. What I mean by readily available, is that it is sold in convenience stores next to the bread and milk. Here in VA beer and wine are sold in grocery stores and convenience stores, but hard liquor is sold in a state store. I wonder how the ready availability of liquor affects the population if at all.. In PA no alcoholic beverages are sold in the grocery or convenience stores.
  2. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

This would be an interesting statistic to obtain. Alcohol is such a dangerous addiction, because its legal and socially accepted by so many. I'm not sure of the exact details, but from what I've heard, there are places in Europe where there is no drinking age. My brother told me a story about him going to Spain, and seeing a 10 year old kid walking out of a convenience store openly drinking a beer. This is just craziness to me. I wonder how that effects alcoholism over there, too.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

I had never heard that different states sell liquor in different ways. In California, you can get everything at your regular grocery store, from high end champagne to hard liquor. It is definitely making things easier for people to mix drinks, etc. However, if you want to get drunk and be an alcoholic, you will use even simple beer to do it when nothing else is available. People will even turn to cough syrup if they have to, so I don't think availability plays a major part in addiction.
  4. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

It is the same thing here in North Carolina, hard liquor is only available at the liquor store, which is ran by the state. I don't really think it reduces the incidence of alcoholism based on what I see here, it just seems that it is another way for the state to collect and monitor tax revenue. Sometimes, I think it works in reverse in that the lack of availability makes the product more desirable, especially for younger folks.
  5. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Lets play devils advocate for a moment. Cocaine and Heroin are not Legal but it doesnt stop people from becoming addicted. Hard drugs are just as easy to get than alcohol, in fact when you buy dope off the street you dont have to show I.D. Its human nature to want to feel good. Some people choose to take the Chemical route. There are more deaths caused by a legal substance-Alcohol, than illegal substances, such as Cocaine and Heroin. Wheres the logic in that?
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I'm not in the U.S but alcohol is sold near milk and soda nearly everywhere. Local stores have it, even the shops at the bus stops don't mind it. I guess no one really cares about it, they just places all types of drinks in their spot.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not live in the US but I would answer the question for our country. :)
    Alcohol is very much available everywhere. It is being sold in retail store and there are retail stores here in almost all corners. Sad that most of those retail stores owners are not following the rule that they should not sold alcohol to minors.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It's sold in all grocery stores that I know off. It is a business and of course there is always going to be alcohol and cigarettes. They have a better shelf life then regular groceries and they will be bought eventually.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

Availability contributes to influence. You can opt to buy a readily available brand than the one that is not there, in the stores. Sell of alcohol should be restricted to specific stores or pubs.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The availability of a substance, drink or drugs doesn't have much of an effect on how many people use it in my opinion.

If somebody wants to drink or take drugs, they will find a way, no matter what the laws and regulations are, and sometimes the unavailability of something can make people want it even more.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I see people here where I live which is super small buying booze at our Dollar store now. It was crazy to see people loading their carts with beer at the dollar store that was the one place you couldn't get it. Now most discount stores like that sell both booze, and cigarettes.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

There must be some studies available on this somewhere. I know in France where alcohol is frequent at most meals, they have the highest proportion of alcoholics. In Spain, I know, wine is cheaper than soda pop so obviously young people are going to be drinking it and maybe developing a dependence. I think getting started on any substance young is going to make it more likely you have a problem later in life. So, I am guessing the easy availability of liquor tends to create more addicts.
  13. goldenmonkey

goldenmonkey Member

It seems like it would make it harder for alcoholics, having to buy groceries and walk past the booze aisle. In Canada, you can pretty much only get alcohol at the BC liquor store (run by the liquor board), or at cold beer and wine stores. They have a few exceptions for brew pubs and such, but I don't think it affects the alcoholism rate much. We have lots of alcoholics. Alcohol also costs about 2-3 times as much as in the US, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone. Every addiction has its own difficulties, but alcohol is especially hard to get away from in North America. Even cigarettes have more of a stigma, nowadays.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Here in our country, you can easily purchase alcohol. I remember when I was around 15 years old, my friends and I used to buy liquor at convenience stores and we didn't even had a hard time doing that. No one gives a damn about underage drinking here.
  15. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

Here in Punjab, India it is readily available. The result is drunk drivers and even teens. It's nearly impossible to shut these down... I feel so helpless. Drinking alcohol is like borrowing happiness from tomorrow. In reality, it's just an illusion.
  16. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

To be quiet honest, I don't think it matters where it is sold. If somebody wants it they are going to get it matter where it is sold. Even if there are cut off times like there are in some states, it might help alittle to slow down the drinking and such. Although a lot of people will just stack up on it. It is really hard either way you go.
  17. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

In places where alcohol is sold almost everywhere there are more alcohol addicts. That, is a fact. But the addiction problem isn't the result of having liquor in every store. There already existed an addiction problem and the businesses sell the liquor because they have to profit from an already existing vice.
  18. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Here in the UK, most alcoholic drinks such as lagers, beers, ciders, wines, etc are available in-store and can just be picked up from off the shelf. Stronger drinks though, such as spirits like vodka, whiskey, brandy, etc are required by law to be kept behind the counter. The UK are also a lot stricter now on making people show them ID if they are buying alcohol. The age limit for smoking was also raised from 16 to 18 a few years ago.
  19. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I'm in Canada, and you can typically only find alcohol in liquor stores. I can't think of another store where you can pick it up off the shelf in the same way as The Beer Store, or what have you. I do believe, however, that there is legislation in the works to generalize liquor sales to grocery and convenience stores. Would be interesting to see if the statistics for drunkenness differ as a result.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Where I live you can find alcohol even in the stores located right the corner, and yes, very often we hear about people having car accident related to the use of alcohol here (or should I say... abuse?). I do think that being able to buy alcohol everywhere is a bad thing, because let's face it... it's so hard to resist temptations! For an alcoholic or someone who is not an alcoholic yet, but is becoming one is hard to resist not to buy alcohol when he or she sees is being sold almost everywhere.