An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol Readily Available

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by kgord, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Alcohol is available in the majority of stores in the UK. There are also some stores which have 24-hour license or selling alcohol. Alcohol is readily available in all major supermarkets (and most of the smaller ones) and is also sold in most convenience or grocery stores. There are also some 24-hour gas stations that sell alcohol.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Here in my country, we have easy access to alcohol. There are small stores here that sell them that even a child can buy it. We can easily buy beer, and even hard drinks like rum and whisky. Even if there is an alcohol ban (during upcoming elections), some stores still sell them.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it causes a bigger temptation. You go shopping for food and see alcohol there's no escape from the temptation. You would just have to develop stronger will power. I know in VA you can get a cold beer at the 711. The only solution to this is having strong will power or going somewhere that they don't sell liquor.
  4. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

There are no barriers to purchasing alcohol because it's legal, location probably doesn't matter much to a person who wants a specific alcoholic beverage to drink. Like a couple of other bloggers mentioned, they will just travel to a store where they know they can purchase what they want to drink. Where I live the grocery stores and gasoline stations only sell beer so if a person wants, for example, tequila they just go to a liquor store.
  5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Here in California, alcohol is ridiculously readily available. I cannot think of a store in my area that sells groceries, that does not carry hard liquor. It is so common for people to grab it on the way out without even thinking about it as well.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The ridiculous thing about this in the UK is the fact that they now legally require tobacco products to be covered up to prevent them being on display and do not allow brand logos or advertising to be displayed, which is a fairly recent law. Yet, at the same time, they are doing nothing about alcohol being openly on display and not even behind the counter where tobacco products are required to be. Given the fact that a person can easily buy enough alcohol in one go to cause them serious damage and perhaps even kill them, this seems completely illogical to me.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I'm not from the US, but here where I live you can buy alcohol from grocery stores and supermarkets. There is a little market facing my block which sells beverages like whiskey, rum, vodka and tequila. Yes, the quality is good. Sometimes I wonder that if I still drank, this would have been a blessing to me, ha ha. I use to buy champagne from it when I go to certain events, though.
  8. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Here in Ohio it sounds much like your situation in Virginia. It's basically the same thing - beer and wine in grocery and convenient stores, but any place that sells hard liquor needs to have a license to do so. The stores with beer and wine though can sell really watered down liquor though which is about the same strength as wine. But it tastes like garbage and really isn't worth the money at all.

I've bought the watered down liquor on a rare occasion when I couldn't get access to more hard liquor, and it was a joke. It's just cut in half with water, but not always half the price of full strength liquor. For example a bottle of the watered down low strength Vodka might cost like $5, but the full strength stuff (bottom shelf) would cost $8 for the same size bottle.

It's kind of dumb to be honest, since any hard core drinker looking to get their buzz on can just simply purchase twice the amount of the low strength stuff and drink more of it.
  9. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well for a country that sells assault rifles in stores such as Walmart, the fact that alcohol is also so readily available should not be of any surprise. It is all about the profits and money for these companies who could care less about addictions because it results in more money for them.