An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol withdrawal

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by kylekur2, Jan 16, 2015.

1. kylekur2

kylekur2 Member

I have been an alcoholic for a few years now, and I just went into detox on Monday to better myself. The withdrawal has been horrible. I have the tremors, nausea, headaches, and vomiting. It sucks right now, but I know it will be worth it in the end for a sober me. Wishing everyone luck on their journey to recovery.
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Best of luck to you, you can do it! I'm sure it's horrible to go through but you will feel so much better once it's all over. I hope you have some supportive people around you to help you along the way. At worst if you don't at least you have this forum to vent to and get advice. Once again best of luck to you, stay strong!
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Good luck on your recovery, kylekur2. It's a tough road, and I've seen many people make it through, withdrawal and all. This will probably be one of the toughest things you've ever done, but I like to think that most people that make it to the other side wind up so much better for all the effort they put into getting clean from alcohol or whatever drugs.
  4. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

I just randomly ran into a friend of mine who used to work at the same bar where I'm doing live shows at. I remember one time years ago that she started choking and had to go to the restroom where she was having a really hard time. Later on when she wasn't working there anymore and I ran into her again, she told me she had to go to the hospital (not that night but another time) or she wouldn't have survived. I didn't understand until I had been drinking on a daily basis and would start to wake up choking or feeling like I was going to vomit. I was bartending at the time and never went a day without a drink. But I told her that that's likely what it was when I saw her earlier this week. I don't drink as much anymore but still wonder if I'm prone to having that again? I know it's all about will which is why I don't drink as much. But there's always that concern around the corner.
  5. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Are you in an actual detox center ? If your withdrawl is really bad it is a good idea to get professional help. These things can be really scary by yourself, or maybe you should atleast get a good friend to stay with you.
  6. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Wow! Best of luck to you. Are you detoxing alone or are you in a rehabilitation of some sort. It is possible to do it on your own, but if you are experiencing symptoms like this it's probably best to check into a center.
  7. Lucas

Lucas Member

Best of luck to you ;) I hope you will be all okay, good luck on your recovery. I know something about dropping the alcohol, it is really tough, but you can make it. All you need is the power of will. If you have friends, that's better. This will change your life and bring it on the higher level. Maybe you should start to do some sports or just something new? Why not. It helps too. Take care ;)
  8. crackerjack9

crackerjack9 Member

It's good that you went to detox...alcohol withdrawals can be very dangerous. I am an alcoholic and when I finally got sober, I was near death. I was having 2, 3, or 4 seizures a night and I had to keep my blood alcohol level at a 2.50 or higher to avoid them. I was also homeless, jobless and depressed.
    If you are just getting sober, you should really try to figure out what your triggers are and work on them. See a therapist, go to meetings. Read up on things like P.A.W.S. When you know what to expect from early recovery you can be better equipped to deal with it.

Are you out of detox now? If you can, get a copy of the book "living sober". It's a great book that teaches you how to get through each day without a drink or a drug. Stay strong, my friend and you will make it!
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

We must live positively that's why we live a good life. Get some time and pray to keep your soul strong. It is now that you should better your future life. I know you have stories,please share them with us. Wish you the best.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Detox from anything can affect people in different ways. Some people seem to sail through detox and come out the other side a changed person. Others can really struggle and then even afterwards it's a daily struggle to keep clean.

Good luck with everything, its easy to say but your doing the right thing, and remember that your not on your own.
  11. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Congrats on your detox and just remember that you will start to feel better with each passing day. The first couple of withdrawls are always the worst. Hopefully your withdrawl experience will keep you away from alcohol forever. Keep us posted on your progress.
  12. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I don't recall having any withdrawal symptoms when I stopped drinking. I may not have been physically addicted or I was just lucky. I have heard of and seen others go through horrible withdrawal however. I have heard that it can be life threatening. Congratulations on your detox. Take it one day at a time and please seek medical help if you need to.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I can relate to your happening there. I had gone through some bad withdrawal symptoms, too, but just think of them as a momentary and fading phase from your recovery, probably the most hurtful one. Don't worry, everything's going to be just fine. If you impose yourself this enough, you will see that I'm right. :)
  14. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

My best friend is an alcoholic. I mean just watching what she goes through is so horrible. One minute she can be fine and then she goes back to these treatment centers. I mean she can't even have one drink. She's been clean for a while now and I really hope and pray that she stays that way.
  15. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

From my standpoint, I see that alcohol is easier to lick than smoking. Based on my statistics, more quitter succeeded away from alcohol and many smokers who quit just came back to the habit. In short, nicotine is really addicting and alcohol is just a state of mind or stress relievers only.
  16. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

I know your pain. The withdrawals were horrible. I really hope you're getting through this well.
    While yes, more quitters get away from alcohol, the withdrawals are worse imo. I don't believe that the alcohol addiction is just a state of mind though. It's something that really grips on to you. Sometimes it honestly feels like you're dying, when you're trying to quit. It's so worth it in the long run though. Sober for 4 months now and I'm still feeling terrible at times. I'm so close to being free though, I just have to believe in myself.
  17. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I concur. It might be a good idea to have help from professional helps. Those symptoms are real physical symptoms that can be dangerous if left unchecked. If you already get some support from medical professional, then good luck for you. I hope you can endure the initial pain and go back to your daily sober life.
  18. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I'm so sorry to hear that and I really hope that you sort it out and have it well in the end. I know it's a really difficult situation and it's really hard to get through because it is physical and it's really difficult to get through. I know people who are in that situation and in the end they would of had it, but they quit because of the consequences and affects, it's really sad. There is hope, hang on there!
  19. Skyspirit

Skyspirit Member

I have drank a bit of alcohol in my day; Although, now being on social services and having no income, my drinking has come to a major halt. While this is the case, I did notice that after first not even having a casual drink now and then I would suffer from migraine headaches - which I presume is akin to hangovers after drinking too much. Have other people experienced this? For, I never really drank more than two to three drinks a couple of times a week save for one or two rounds of moonshine while on vacation which was a huge mistake - at any rate, life goes on, I feel much healthier now in general as well and have thought that I will not go back to drinking at all - but of course, there will at some point be a party or an offer to buy me a drink - at this point in my life, I think I will continue to say "no thank you," though I do also think that having just moved into post-menopause - there may have at times been a point where a drink might have been a good rather than bad idea - Thoughts?
  20. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

I've experienced the headaches you're talking about before. It was one of the things that actually made me realise that I might have a problem. I was told that it's a form of alcohol intolerance due to your liver not being able to process the alcohol anymore. Now, don't quote me on that, I'm far from a medical expert and this is something that I just read off the internet about 7 or 8 months ago.