An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Alcohol withdrawl

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by primalclaws1974, Nov 26, 2014.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

One of my best friends as a teenager had a stepdad that was in his fifties. This man was a hard worker, and owned his own construction company. I suppose he was a functioning alcoholic, because he drank vodka all day. He would even wake in the middle of the night and go to his truck and get his bottle. One weekend I was over at my friends house talking to them. His stepdad was sleeping, sitting up in the chair. He suddenly let out a loud moan and started thrashing his legs. Eventually he went back to sleep. They said he had gone two days without drinking. I had never seen that kind of reaction before.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Such are the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal which can range from mild to violent reactions.The symptoms may subside with time but i guess it will depend on the individual and the level of alcohol in the person's body.I hope it ended well for your friend's step dad.
    primalclaws1974 likes this.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

As both of my parents alcoholics, I have witnessed many different types of withdrawal reactions when they couldn't afford to buy alcohol for a few days. One of the most memorable ones, are my mother's bouts of vomiting and my fathers shakes and tremors. During those periods I always felt particularly vulnerable as a child, never knowing what to expect next.
    primalclaws1974 likes this.
  4. ally79

ally79 Member

There are many symptoms of alcohol detoxification and some of them can be dangerous. muscle cramping and aching, headaches, nausea and vomiting, and tremors are some of the big ones. If you are talking about a long term alcoholic detoxification should really be done under a physicians care.
  5. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Yep, that sounds like alcohol withdrawal. It also depends on how long the man has been drinking. If he is a consistent drinker, then his symptoms will be worse. But, as long as he's becoming healthier and under good supervision, I think he will be fine. Consult your doctor as well.
  6. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Withdrawal symptoms can be horrible but with time he will overcome. He should still consult a doctor though. I guess everyone's body react differently to these things as I had no symptoms, just the urge to drink and that's it.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good thing that his step dad is trying to get rid of the addiction. I think if this symptoms are really bothering or will get worst, better if he could see a doctor or a professional to help him deal with those and be able to continue not drinking alcohol.
  8. primalclaws1974

My mom didn't drink, but smoked all my life. She had read somewhere that it is possibly people can die from withdrawal symptoms, and used that for years as a reason to not even try to quit. I have not seen many people go through "DTs", but it sounds horrible. Today she uses vapors, which may be better, but it's trading one bad habit for another.
  9. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

We had a great math teacher whose hands would shake so much that he was unable to write on the board. He would drink every night after classes. He could not recognize any of his students when he was drunk. He was an elderly man who showed up every day to class. He is the reason why I passed mathematics in primary school. Drinking plenty of water in between drinking and before going to bed reduces the severity of the withdraw symptoms.
  10. primalclaws1974

Was this a long time ago? It seems like his private life was well-known, why did no one do anything about it? If he was drunk all of the time he could have been a danger to himself or others. Did the students think it was funny? Sort of sounds like he was treated as the school mascot, which is cruel.
  11. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Yes this was a long time ago. On the contrary, most of his students loved him sincerely because he made math very interesting. He would go from desk to desk to ensure that all the students understood a problem before introducing a new topic. I grew up in the village where teachers were highly respected and no one would have dared make fun on him. I still remember him fondly even today.